Running in New Kluger

kc & sunshine

Hi All,

Newbie here, had a good look at this forum and was impressed with not just the weath of information but people's willingness to share their passion. Got our new Kluger KX-R delivered last Thursday still busy getting use to it. Anyway, can anyone give me any suggestion/ advise how to best running in this car? Last time I bought a new car was more than 10years ago abit rusty in this area.

Secondly, the mileage reading is saying somewhere in the 20L/100km. We only clocked something like 40 km at the moment so does the trip computer need more distance for accurate reading? Please note I driving very gently not to stress the new engine too much.

Hope to hear from you soon. Any treads on this area is fine.

Cheers and Thanks,

Welcome mate.

When it comes to running in a new engine, there is quite a bit of advice out there, but usually conflicting. For your new Toyota, they state that there is no running in process required.

Most people just recommend to drive it gently (avoiding redline primarily) for the first few thousand kilometres or so. It all comes down to how you feel about your car.

If you want to look at it from a different perspective, take a look here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

But as Hiro Protagonist best said:

A lot of cars these days have effectively been run in before they even hand the keys over to you....so any "running-in" is irrelevant. However, it obviously does apply to freshly rebuilt engines.

Secondly, the mileage reading is saying somewhere in the 20L/100km. We only clocked something like 40 km at the moment so does the trip computer need more distance for accurate reading? Please note I driving very gently not to stress the new engine too much.

Give it some time to learn on your driving. Because it is new, it may be sitting fairly high (as well, short trips can make it take longer to average out) but the more you drive it, the more accurate it should become. Once it has settled in, you will find that after a fill, it will read high like that but then drop down over as little as a few kilometres.

Welcome to TOCAU :clap:

For run in procedure check out post #13 in Rice Racing's excellent and informative thread.

Fuel consumption and strategies to reduce it have been discussed recently in this thread.

At the bottom left of the main forum screen there is a search function wich allows you to run a keyword search in the forum you are currently viewing. This is the most valuable fuction of the forum as you'll find most questions have already been asked and answered.