Home Page

Deanja

Well, why don't you be proactive and find and submit a story to be put on there...

Yeah, lets put up news about the Toyota Recalls. That ought to keep people happy :blink:

Sure the page is old, but it doesn't seem to be stopping people from registering on the forums. I don't think anyone is in a rush to freely update it. Steve is a pretty busy guy you know.

Well, why don't you be proactive and find and submit a story to be put on there...

Yeah, lets put up news about the Toyota Recalls. That ought to keep people happy :blink:

Sure the page is old, but it doesn't seem to be stopping people from registering on the forums. I don't think anyone is in a rush to freely update it. Steve is a pretty busy guy you know.

Sorry you can say all you like, buts it's like buying todays newspaper to read the news about someone who died in the stone ages. Sure Steve might be busy, if I knew enough about computers I'd offer to do something about it myself, but I don't. Surely someone has though about approaching Toyota Australia's media department, although they could be very busy at the moment with all the recall defences they would be putting up, I'm sure they could assist, as it's in their interest to make sure that they are presented as a 2010 company, not back in 2008 !!!!!

My vote is to make it skip the home page and go straight into the forum.

Sure, but for anyone surfing, the look is bad ... dosen't look very progressive AND WOULD MAKE YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT ANY OTHER SECTIONS ON THE SITE !!!

In all my years of being a member here I have visited the main page two, maybe three times; and thats by accident. For me I find my news from other sources.

It's not like we are going to have a head start on news the media empires publish so we will always have yesterday's news no matter how frequently the main page is updated.

I agree with HT on skipping it.

My vote is to make it skip the home page and go straight into the forum.

Sure, but for anyone surfing, the look is bad ... dosen't look very progressive AND WOULD MAKE YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT ANY OTHER SECTIONS ON THE SITE !!!

I don't agree. This website is a community and not a news site.

The original intention may have been to create a Toyota "portal". But lets face it, the prime and only reason this site exists is for the forum. A news section is secondary to what this community is and I believe skipping the news section and displaying the forums straight away will encourage more traffic because it is less confusing as to where the real content is.

The other sad fact is that no one is willing to update the news site as all they will be doing is referencing other news sites, and user submitted news will need to be moderated which is a cumbersome task not to mention image damaging if you refuse content that users put effort into. This also makes us rank lower on search engines because they see the first page as unchanged, unmaintained and unoriginal.

If anything the front page should be a list of the top 20-30 latest or updated topics.

I agree with everyones opinions (there are good reasons supporting the arguement as well as against it), but I am more towards the idea of skipping the homepage all together. About the only thing this site offers... and offers it well is it's forum. There are many news sites out there if you want such. Otherwise this place will become like many blogs out there that just repost the same stuff other sites do and even link to it.

For the purpose of this site, more attention should be directed to the forum itself and skipping the homepage would be ideal. When I first came across this site, my search term was 'Australian Toyota forums'. I was directed to this forum, and that was it... search complete, no complaints.

At the end of the day, I'm not getting all hyped up about it. Sure things could probably change, but why get so worked up over something when it's not going to change the world. The majority of people are already satisfied as it is and unfortunately getting heard above the crowd can be difficult. So I don't see a change happening anytime soon.

As with most things, if you don't like it, you can walk away... no harm done.

Sorry you can say all you like...

Exact same statement applies back at you as well in this discussion. Only difference is that I don't care if no ones cares what I say.

For the purpose of this site, more attention should be directed to the forum itself and skipping the homepage would be ideal. When I first came across this site, my search term was 'Australian Toyota forums'. I was directed to this forum, and that was it... search complete, no complaints.

My guess is that this is how the vast majority came to the site. I remember reading somewhere else that people had said it was after weeks or months of regular visits that they realised we had a front page.