Epic SMD H11 Failure

Well, quite a while back i purchased a pair of H11 6000k SMD replacements for my ZRE foggies.

These were the 68 SMD versions from ebay:

384866010_o.jpg

After only around 3/4 an hour driving with them on, when i got home i realized one was already out. Hmmmmmm Wonder why??

Check this out:

SMDH11Fail2.jpg

SMDH11Fail1.jpg

and as this one was soo brittle, it broke open easy enough to reveal this damage:

SMDH11Failopen.jpg

:blink::angry:

Now the units fit in well, so no water could have been in there. They are supposed to be "voltage regulated" and well, i dont think so.

It still perplexes me as to how this much damage could have happened, and the extreme heat generated.

The unit other of the pair still operating has blown a few smds too, not smoking blown, but they arnt lighting up.

Bad thing is, i cant remember which supplier i got them from! Ill have to do more digging...

Anyone else had any problems like this?

Damn, that looks nasty!

Vinh (le.vinh.zr) uses good quality smd foggies (a bit expensive but worth it) on his ZRE. Can't remember exactly what brand it is but I let you know when I find out. :)

Peter.

Looking from where the damage is isolated to, it would appear that the LED/PCB had potentially shorted against the metal socket of the fog light housing. Voltage regulation on something like that is going to do jack s*** when it's shorted out. Seems like they put the LED's too close to the base.

Awesome Peter, thank for that, Ill be hooking those PIAA's up for sure. :D

How do they look? Nice an bright without glare?

:)

Cheerin

Edit, Ahhh found the supplier eventually.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360236619308&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Ive emailed them, see what they have to say though the purchse was a long time ago i dont expect much.

Edit 2, Just looked around for some reviews of the PIAA's. Apparently low light output, but perfect 6000k match. Hmmm.....

Led foggies have less glare, not as bright as HIDs but still better (and looks better) than stock. The only thing is if you buy the 6000k led foggies in the link I gave you, won't match the stock HID lows. :P

Sorry, but the only picture I got is during the daytime, and not the best angle either.. <_<

IMGP3931.jpg

Peter.

Thanks Peter, Im looking at upgrading the 4300k OEM to Garax 6000k hence why i tried the smd H11 today, and got burnt!!

I assume the PIAA's wont be as bright, as they are only 1.25W, depending on what chip they are using. Seems to be 3 chips per light.

Found some more pics:

19828d1272354583-piaa-tera-6000k-ultra-white-led-h8-h11-001.jpg19829d1272354587-piaa-tera-6000k-ultra-white-led-h8-h11-002.jpg

19831d1272354595-piaa-tera-6000k-ultra-white-led-h8-h11-004.jpg

Thanks Peter, Im looking at upgrading the 4300k OEM to Garax 6000k hence why i tried the smd H11 today, and got burnt!!

I assume the PIAA's wont be as bright, as they are only 1.25W, depending on what chip they are using. Seems to be 3 chips per light.

Nice! I think I'll leave my stock lows until they go. :)

Not sure about the brightness but you're probably right. See if I can get a snap for you.

Its hard to work out if its 3x 1.25w chips or 1.25w total, as the Piaa terra 6000k T10's are 3 x 1W chips. So im thinkin the H11's are 3 x 1.25w.

Also got an email back from the 68 smd H11, just sent the pics off to him.. see what they have to say.

WTF!? AU$134.00 for 6 piddly little LEDs ? Wow. I'm thinking there has to be a better alternative surely. I could make my own decent ones for that. Hmmmm, now there's an idea !

Edited by SteveAndBelle

Have you had a look at autolumination?

They are from the US and their website is pretty comprehensive.

autolumination website

Shipping is quick too. Their T10s I have outlasted all others I have tried. No more ebay for me for bulbs :yahoo:

nice shot of my car you got! lol, how come I've never seen this picture!

Hahaha I never uploaded it..had to cut out something! :P

Just got an email back from the supplier. He was terribly sorry about what happened, and offered a replacement. Not bad considering i purchased them ages ago.

That's a bonus..hahaha! I guess you can see if they're actually sh*t or not by testing them again!

WTF!? AU$134.00 for 6 piddly little LEDs ? Wow. I'm thinking there has to be a better alternative surely. I could make my own decent ones for that. Hmmmm, now there's an idea !

Yeah, I said it was a bit expensive but it's worth it. Don't think they have gone yet, compared to say, cheapy t10 smds from ebay. Waste of money, lasted me max 3-4weeks!

autolumination website

Shipping is quick too. Their T10s I have outlasted all others I have tried. No more ebay for me for bulbs :yahoo:

Hey Andy, how long do they last? For a while now, I've removed my parkers since I thought I never have it on anyway (either off or on lows) and how short they lasted.. <_<

Do you have a picture of them on? I'm thinking go super white or maybe go for amber parkers (to match my foggies). Ta

Peter.

Just ordered a few bits from Autoillumintaion for my new tail project.. :spiteful:

PIAA products are of awesome quality, ive used them before, longest life and top quality built. They are exy but worth the piece of mind.

Well, first off the supplier said he would replace them, no matter if they were purchased a while ago due to the extreme failure of the units. Now today i get an email saying he wont as the guarantee is out. I kinda understand but if i was in his shoes, with 45min of use and that much fail, i would have replaced them anyways, i mean, they must cost him 5 bucks or something. I also paid almost double what the going rate of them is now... :(

Actually, is guarantee mentions nothing about time spans or the length of the duration. According to Ebay rules, it must be fully written and a link to the full details posted. He has done neither, but im not sure its worth pulling this card or not.

autolumination website

Hey Andy, how long do they last? For a while now, I've removed my parkers since I thought I never have it on anyway (either off or on lows) and how short they lasted.. <_<

Do you have a picture of them on? I'm thinking go super white or maybe go for amber parkers (to match my foggies). Ta

Peter.

Nah don't have pic as I got new headlights sitting at home with different setup so no need for t10s anymore. But I've bought 4 separate sets from them end every set has lasted at least 6 months and are still going strong. Everything else I've bought from them hasn't died yet either.

Nah don't have pic as I got new headlights sitting at home with different setup so no need for t10s anymore. But I've bought 4 separate sets from them end every set has lasted at least 6 months and are still going strong. Everything else I've bought from them hasn't died yet either.

Thanks Andy, sounds like the real deal!

If you don't mind, can you tell me which t10's you bought and your opinion on them (if different t10's)? And do you reckon amber parkers will go well with my 3000k foggies? Thanks heaps! :lol:

Peter.