Paint protection??

I know there are loads of threads on this topic, but I just wanted to see people's opinions or views on this?

We are getting a new Prado VX in Graphite, del in 3 weeks :D and we are considering protection package (window tint, paint, leather, rust) are these really necessary, like the back windows have privacy glass but the dealer says it's not UV protected so would still need clear tint? Of course I am going to get their quote for this "package" and then see about some non dealer quotes to make sure they aren't ripping me off too badly! I do think we need the window tint (maybe not the privacy glass windows though <_< )

I have kids so I do not have time to spend 8+ hours taking care of my car so please don't suggest waxing it myself etc, I would be lucky if I wash my car once a fortnight, it's more like once a month :( and even less often to polish or wax

there's also DIY paint sealant products such as this one http://www.paintprotection.com.au/ anyone used those with good results??

Thanks,

Elle

if youre not going to clean it, polish it or wax it yourself, that sort of eliminates all the answers you will get on here! :P

paint protection packages are a rip-off when you get it done by a dealer. its only a glorified semi-permanent polish, that the dealer re-applies once a year to maintain the warranty on the paint. from memory it costs approx $700 just for the paint. tint is around $400 from a dealer, the rust protection probably about the same

if you dont mind forking out a lot of money, and dont have time/dont want to clean the car, then it might work for you. but if you dont clean the car on a regular basis, as with all polishes, environmental contaminents will wear it down regardless of the brand

not that i will never wash it :o i'm just being honest about it, aiming for at least once a fortnight, but knowing at times it may be less often.

i got the quote off the dealer this morning $1995 :o :o that was the tint and interior/exterior protection, i opted out of rust protection, my husband has one of those electronic ones which he got pretty cheap aftermarket so will prob do the same there

i think i am leaning toward the DIY option, for around $200 and get window tint after market?

i'd really like to hear from anyone who's used the DIY products please :)

I took delivery of my new VX Prado yesterday. The only protection option I took was the window tint to the passenger and drivers window. I paid $290 (make sure you don't pay the LCT which would have added another $90 approx) and told them I thought it was overpriced ...... decided to go with it after thinking about it as I knew the job would be 1st class and it was. Rears have tint already ... some may go for extra UV film there but I didn't bother and the dealer said it was unnecessary. Oh was a feeling ...... the car is superb :)

Cool!! We are getting our tint done after market, unless the dealer can match the cheapest quote I got (which has guarantee/warranty), for just the front two windows I was quoted $110, and for the clear UV film on the rear as well was an extra $210 so $320 all up! My dealer seemed to think the UV protection was a good idea, it is VERY sunny and HOT here in Darwin so maybe that has something to do with it

I've decided I will get the DIY paint protection kit. We have the Crystal Elements protection on our car now and while it's OK it's not that great, so might as well give this a go, it comes with a satisfaction guarantee :)

And will give the rust protection thingy a miss at this stage, can always get it at a later date for around $200-300 which the "protection places" want nearly $500!

Thanks for your reply! Hope you're enjoying your car...2 more weeks until mine arrives!!

The car is absolutely sensational to drive and being a gadget man I just love all the hi tech options and buttons to push. The bluetooth mobile phone connection looks like a blast too with the capability of answering and hanging up from the steering wheel! Plus being able to store numbers and quick dial too!! Sounds like you got a good deal on the tinting and as you say the UV up your way is a big issue ..... mind you we get a bit of hot weather down here in Melbourne like those 46 degree days last summer and they reckon this year's going to be worse!!

Edited by ozgeoff

did u get the diesel or the petrol? we're getting the diesel, apparently more economical, my hubby is a diesel fan (if it was up to him we would have gotten the troop carrier :rolleyes: )

i got to drive the diesel in the GXL, it was manual though, it was the only one they had at the time, when I went back with my hubby he got to drive the Kakadu, but it was petrol not diesel, it had a few too many gadgets for our liking (plus of course the extra price!!) :D

i'm looking forward to being able to use my ipod in the stereo (my current car doesn't have ipod input or even play MP3 cds :huh: ) i hope i can work out how to connect my iphone to the blue tooth as that sounds really handy! and i bet the parking sensors and camera is handy too, i'm sure i'll have trouble parking it the first few times till I get used to the size since i'm used to driving a sedan. funny though the prado actually has a tighter turning circle than my sedan..go figure!

I opted fpr the petrol after driving both mainly because of the quietness and SHMBO helped make that decision for me. :) Undoubtedly the economy is a big plus for the diesel particularly if you're towing a lot, and now that the the price of diesel is about the same as petrol.

Having come from a Holden Vectra the size of the Prado takes some getting used to but as you say the turning circle is really good, probably because a lot of sedans have FWD and east west engines taking a lot of steering space up front.

The one thing I really like about the VX over the Kakadu is that it doesn't have the fake looking plastic wood which I can't stand!! I wouldn't have minded the Sat Nat system in the Kakadu though!!

:lol: that is exactly what i hated about the Kakadu too!! the PLASTIC woodgrain!! Sat Nav i think I'd prefer aftermarket anyway not that we really need it up here, but if we were to go on a long trip out of the Territory I think it would be good to have, I really like the Pioneer ones http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Navigat...IC%20F10BT.aspx

something for us to consider a bit later on, i doubt hubby will be too keen after spending $76K :D

considering protection package (window tint, paint, leather, rust)

You have to ask yourself, will the vehicle see salt water/beach driving? If so then rust protection should be used. Oil sprays don't last as the instant you go through one washout/creek most of it is gone.

• 2 years later...

what do u think of the stuff? worth it or not?

I would def recommend it, I got a dealership product which has a NanoTechnology base and have found it to be a lifesaver! I have always hated washing/waxing/polishing my car but now I hardly have to do it! The off the shelf products are good… For like a day then they just get washed off. The one I got comes with a lifetime guarantee and is a once off application. So no more hours spent washing my car for me! hehe

my biggest concern with dealer paint protection is the little bit that says "lifetime guarantee"

please define "lifetime"

The warranty does say 'lifetime' but of course (like with any lifetime warranty) there are terms and conditions that apply. The main one that you have to remember is not to wash your car in one of those automated car washes and to use a PH neutral shampoo. All the other T&Cs are pretty straight forward. The thing that got me was that they actually explained all these T&Cs before I brought the product – made me feel more comfortable buying the product cause they weren't trying to hide anything. Pretty sure they legally have to oblige to anything stated in the warranty. I am yet to make a claim against the warranty but I'll be sure to share my experience if I ever do!

those paint protection things are a load of crap imho, its just a scheme for the dealers to make some $$$

Yes, I find them a joke

eightysixer - I wouldn't got need an auto wash. I use the 2 bucket method with dodo juice "born to be mild" pH netural shampoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys :)

I work at a dealership and I fully believe in the products, especial they paint and interior protection. I bought my New 2013 Corolla Ascent sport form here about 2 weeks ago and got the full package put on it, The lifetime guarantee we offer is LIFETIME, so its the lifetime of the car, not dependent on age or k's, Its a very good investment in my opinion as I have seen it do what it says it does. The electronic rust proofing is always a great idea as well just because stone chips rust very quickie and can become expensive to fix once rusted.

Edited by teganrowe

Hi guys :)

I work at a dealership and I fully believe in the products, especial they paint and interior protection. I bought my New 2013 Corolla Ascent sport form here about 2 weeks ago and got the full package put on it, The lifetime guarantee we offer is LIFETIME, so its the lifetime of the car, not dependent on age or k's, Its a very good investment in my opinion as I have seen it do what it says it does. The electronic rust proofing is always a great idea as well just because stone chips rust very quickie and can become expensive to fix once rusted.

Of course you would. Part of the job requirements.

Tegan,

this might be a long shot but can you tell us what products you use? 22PLE? Mothers? Dodo Juice?

Unlikely any of the stuff you've listed Pete and I can't help but fathom that it's something that isn't available to the public.

Yes i work for the dealership and yes it is my job to sell the product but no where in my contract does it say i have to promote the product out side of work hours or apply it to my own car or that i have to go on a forum and tell people i like the product. so get back in your box mate. I believe in the product because it works not because i am told to. the products are from a company called Premier Vehicle Products or PVP and you are correct it is not available to the public but what’s that got to do with anything.

Edited by teganrowe

Yes i work for the dealership and yes it is my job to sell the product but no where in my contract does it say i have to promote the product out side of work hours or apply it to my own car or that i have to go on a forum and tell people i like the product. so get back in your box mate. I believe in the product because it works not because i am told to. the products are from a company called Premier Vehicle Products or PVP and you are correct it is not available to the public but what’s that got to do with anything.

Let's try to remain calm my little sweetpea.

Just letting nix19 know this paint protection that is so highly regarded probably won't be available for him to use, as he is quite enthusiastic regarding his car care. He (like myself) would be interested in giving it a go at least once.