Paint Protection & anti rust/corrosion modules

Adamsy

Hey guys, hope your all well.

Now some time next month i will have my car serviced and i was thinking that it's maybe about time i did something about some form of paint protection etc. Now at work we offer a full Wynns paint protection pack (there’s also a leather interior one too) so i was thinking about having that one done? also even though Toyota's bodies are dipped in an anti corrosion formula we also fit an anti-rust module to most of the cars that head over to king Island and the people over there swear by them, so I’m just interested in what other people have done in the way of paint protection etc, if anything at all??

when i got my car brand new, toyota did their factory "paint protection" on it and TBH, i could NOT have been more dissapointed.

issue 1. very very little "slickness" to the car paint - toyota claimed that "there is never a need to wax your car ever again"

issue 2. the fools who applied the paint protection also were kind enough to leave behind hardcore buffer swirls in the paint

issue 3. the paint was dull as before they applied the protection, thus the car looked lifeless from new.

so in the end i gave up, clayed the car (used 1 whole bar first go!) and took the paint protecting in my own hands.

my personal opinion is to invest a bit in good waxes/polishes/paint cleaners and DIY...

if you put the initial effort into it, you will only need to "top up" your protection every few months.

just my 2c ;)

DAvo: I would be interested in knowing what this factory paint protection was because i work for Toyota and to my knowledge they don’t offer a paint protection kit as a genuine accessory as such; it's left up to the dealer group to find their own products? as mentioned we use a range from Wynns/ V.I.P complete vehicle investment protection. So it'd be interesting to know what your local dealer is passing off as a factory option.

i wash my car with the fairly expensive turtle wax ICE wash and wax stuff and polish it at the change of season with the ICE synthetic liquid polish and that leaves an amazing shine on the Caribbean blue paint.

I will defiantly get the anti-rust/corrosion module fitted though, worth their weight in gold!

Edited by Adamsy

If you have the time, nothing beats personal paint protection. Think of spending some good hours with your car like it's another person (just don't get turned on too much :P ).

Speaking of paint protection... there is one thing I wish I had purchased when I got my car. A clear car bra. Now we have had this discussion before and we concluded that it's just like putting plastic over furniture... just not the same. But the front of my car has suffered so much and I am in desperate need of a front respray, including the bonnet. So if I was to recommend paint protection, nothing beats a solution made to reduce stone chips.

Electronic rust protection... one would think I (of all people) should seriously consider it, but we'll see how it stand up to the Queensland weather after what it has been through.

Ahhh yes the time factor lol, i had thought of just getting the products and doing it myself, but i seen to cop a canning from my friends already about how much time i spend on keeping my car clean.. but i figure if your going to spend that much money on a car you may as well devote an afternoon to keeping it look nice and clean.

The old car bra hay? a few months ago we had a a Sportivo come to the dealership with some headlight problems (were pointing up quite a fairway) and i got talking to the owner and mentioned i had a ZR6 two and we was chatting about the mods we had made to our cars when he pointed out the clear film that covered his entire bonnet and bumper/spoiler. it was a glorified version of the normal clear bonnet protector strip but apparently they had done a massive amount of research into the energy impact from the stone chip, his special film made the stone ship energy disperse over a large area therefore would never puncture the film and damage the vehicle and seriously until the owner pointed it out you had no idea it was on the car, the only give away was on some of the curves on the bumper you could see where the film didn’t quite go to the edges but other than that you'd never of known.

yes everybody should look at electronic rust protection, the science behind it is relatively simple but it seriously works, the cars that used to come of the islands were fairly bad for rust as you can imagine, but since these devices have been fitted there has been a vast improvement and as i mentioned the guys over there swear by this device and would for sure recommend it :) people just DO IT!

DAvo: I would be interested in knowing what this factory paint protection was because i work for Toyota and to my knowledge they don’t offer a paint protection kit as a genuine accessory as such; it's left up to the dealer group to find their own products? as mentioned we use a range from Wynns/ V.I.P complete vehicle investment protection. So it'd be interesting to know what your local dealer is passing off as a factory option.

i wash my car with the fairly expensive turtle wax ICE wash and wax stuff and polish it at the change of season with the ICE synthetic liquid polish and that leaves an amazing shine on the Caribbean blue paint.

I will defiantly get the anti-rust/corrosion module fitted though, worth their weight in gold!

my apologies, i shouldnt have passed it off as "factory genuine" it was offered via the toyota dealership i bought the car from, they did the whole schebang (interior/rust protect/paint) will dig up the company which they used when i have more time.

but either way, i never bought into the whole "never have to wax your car ever again" business... pfft. Why deny car freaks the pleasure!??! :P

Djk, my bonnet and front bumper needs a very good sand down and respray, it's like the previous owner drove it on roads filled with stones. Mine is bad I guess you can say. But i'm not worried much because our close family friend is part owner at panel beaters, he is an expert at panel beating and rebuilding cars that looks like it's been through world war 2.

One day when I have time and money(mates rates) I'll get my front bumper and bonnet done as well. These aurions cop heaps of chips at the front, don't they?! :-/

Can anyone point me to more on tis electronic rust protectopn that is being mentioned?

My poor old Camry lives outside, no carport and has been a Budget rent a car prior to me, so was outside all the time then.

Front bumper, left side skirt, rear bumper are all damaged some what.

Plus a series of realy tiny dimples near the drivers door handle, no idea how that happened and some 4 mm dents in a group around the middle of the rear RHS door.

Wish I had a mate that was a panel beater!

Thanks guys.

Spied

Sadly I can't blame the previous owner for any stone chips. The day I got my car at 24,000km, the front was like new. Was only driven around Cairns so didn't get much of the kicked up stones etc. All the roadworks around here are the cause of my chips. So many trucks it's not funny.

These aurions cop heaps of chips at the front, don't they?! :-/

That's what I've noticed as well. Must be the large flat area of the front.

Can anyone point me to more on tis electronic rust protectopn that is being mentioned?

I believe the electronic rust-proofing system that Toyota use as their accessory is a CouplerTec unit, but this can vary depending on dealer. More information on these units can be found here:

http://www.couplertec.com.au/

Apart from that, there are many other similar products out there so these things are only a click away.

My poor old Camry lives outside, no carport and has been a Budget rent a car prior to me, so was outside all the time then.

Front bumper, left side skirt, rear bumper are all damaged some what.

Plus a series of realy tiny dimples near the drivers door handle, no idea how that happened and some 4 mm dents in a group around the middle of the rear RHS door.

Wish I had a mate that was a panel beater!

Thanks guys.

Spied

Also, sorry about my poor spelling in my posts.

Don't type and look at the screen.

Damn 3 finger typist.

Has this forum got spell check?

Has just about every thing else?

Spied

Edited by Spider

Hey guys, hope your all well.

Now some time next month i will have my car serviced and i was thinking that it's maybe about time i did something about some form of paint protection etc. Now at work we offer a full Wynns paint protection pack (there’s also a leather interior one too) so i was thinking about having that one done? also even though Toyota's bodies are dipped in an anti corrosion formula we also fit an anti-rust module to most of the cars that head over to king Island and the people over there swear by them, so I’m just interested in what other people have done in the way of paint protection etc, if anything at all??

A previous car I owned and covered 260,000Ks in over a period of sixteen years only ever got a rub on, rub off of Maguires wet look when ever the surface water stopped beeding and perhaps on rare occasions a wax, I cant quite remember! The paint however was still just as shiny as new when I parted company with it.

Damn 3 finger typist.

Has this forum got spell check?

I type with 3 to 4 finger most of the time mate. What you need is Firefox. That way you can turn on the spell checker for when you fill in forms like the reply form.