Nov 2012 Presara GPS update

boatinghero

I have recently purchased a 2012 Presara and there appears to be no map updates installed. What is the latest update version and any ideas on cost? Does anyone have the latest update and can it be downloaded more than once, share costs?

Toyota are very poor with map updates. New vehicles are being delivered with maps 2 years out of date and Toyota has no information on when they will be updated. The updates are also usually incredibly expensive.

You may be better off selling your current unit and purchasing a Google Maps compatible one.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a DVD  from navigation Australia for $200 and was told to follow the instructions  when I received the disc. I have received this with no instructions and I have no idea how to remove the old map disc and install the new one. I contacted the supplier and was told they didn't have installation instructions and that I would have to take it to an expert or the dealer for installation. Apparently they don't want to know you after they sell you the disc. Can anyone help with the updating the map on a 2012 Aurion Presara 50 series?  Tom

I have located the unit that holds the map dvd which is located under the front passenger seat. It is impossible to get at unless you take out the seat. Toyota have quoted me  $500 approximately to update the maps. I think I will look at alternate head units. Any suggestions for these? All help appreciated. Tom 

Hi Tom, We found a lot of different choices about..A lot of info already on here about some units others have purchased and are using..Personally with our Presara we wanted easy to use and reliable unit so went for a Clarion..had it installed at a Monster Audio shop here and it was perfect service and fit..the unit came with the ability to have latest update online straight to the SD card..with such a wonderful car we went for quality all the way and it has performed very well..a long road trip proved its worth

I would check out what is on here and what is available at a good audio store

Hope you find what your after

KAA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I live about 600km north of you so I would not be able to come and see you. To remove the front seat slide the seat forward as far as it will go exposing the 2 rear seat mounts. Remove the plastic covers and undo the 2 bolts with a 14mm spanner or socket. Then move the seat back as far as it will go and remove the 2 bolts there and then lay the seat back against the rear seat. 10 minutes at the most. The unit under the seat has 2 clips holding the cover on, you can remove these by applying a small screwdriver under the top part. After I did all this I found that the unit under the front seat is only an amplifier and not the unit holding the map disc. So I am still none the wiser as to how I will access the map DVD and as far as I can tell the DVD player is only a single DVD unit. I also cannot find any port for an SD card that some apparently have. Very frustrating and Toyota seem to have as much idea as I have. Toyota also quoted me $500.00 to update the map and I wonder as they had no idea of how to go about it. Hope this helps.

Edited by TheOver60s
additional information

• 5 years later...

I just bluetooth my phone to the car, I use google maps on my phone and it goes into the map on the head unit. As said above, there are a lot of specific car related apps in the head unit

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Kylie - " it goes into the map on the head unit" - Assuming you meant just the voice instructions come through the audio system of the car, and not the navigation screen showing Google Maps, right?