Shift Light Install by theDefiant1

theDefiant1

Hi all,

I received my shift-i, and have drawn up an installation manual for the Corolla. There are a few ways to install the unit; the method I have used and explained here is for an instrument cluster hook-up (don’t need such long wires). You can also connect the terminals to the ECU. There is info on how to do this – do a search on “ECU” and “shift light” for instructions on how to get to the ECU and appropriate ECU pinouts respectively.

I recommend reading through this whole guide before you start.

I have never done anything like this before, so I’m pretty chuffed that it worked right the first time. Feel most free to PM with praise. Oh yeah, and feel free to PM with any questions. 

Step 1: Remove meter hood sub-assembly (bracket)

There is a screw just under the hood projection (see photo). Use a Phillips to unscrew it. The screw won’t actually screw-out – loosen it, then pull it out (yank). There is a photo of the screw in photo 3.

gallery_3415_329_13923.jpg

Then yank the bottom of the bracket towards you. The clip holding the top of the hood in (where the screw was), will pop out. Take care not to scratch the face of the instrument cluster. The whole unit should come out

gallery_3415_329_99925.jpg

gallery_3415_329_33238.jpg

Step 2: Remove combination meter

With a Phillips, unscrew the top screw holding the meter in place. Support the meter, because it will dance around once the screw is out. At this point I would put some insulating tape around the metal bracket so that it won’t scratch the panel face (I did). There are two clips at the bottom of the meter – push them forward to release them (make absolutely sure you are holding the meter). Then unplug the 2 junction boxes – one on each side of the centre.

gallery_3415_329_62759.jpg

gallery_3415_329_32429.jpg

Step 3: Identify the correct cables to splice

There are 40 wires to choose from. You want pinouts 2, 4 and 19.

Pinout 2 = ground (white/black); shift cable – black

Pinout 4 = ignition (green/blue??); shift cable – black/red

Pinout 19 = tach signal (black); shift cable – black/blue

gallery_3415_329_2978.jpg

Pinout 3 did not have a wire, so make sure you go on the pinout, not the 4th wire along. Also, please keep in mind that I am colour-blind…

gallery_3415_329_19945.jpg

I found an easy way to test to make sure that I had the right pinouts. Shave the shift-i’s wires, and place them in the pinouts, start up your engine, and see if the lights come to life. (See also page 5 of the installation manual – verifying operation).

gallery_3415_329_11234.jpg

Step 4: Soldering

Follow the instructions on page 4 of the Shift-i installation manual on “connecting wires”, or do what you feel comfortable with. I did not like the idea of soldiering in such a small space, so I knitted the cables and the wrapped them in insulation tape (it’s working so far).

You can pull the junction wires a bit to get to them more easily.

gallery_3415_329_21315.jpg

Before you connect the wires, think about where you want the unit placed. If you want it on top of the hood projection, then you may want the wires from the Shift-i going through the instrument cluster; if you want it on the steering wheel stalk then you can through the gap (see photo) OR through the small panel on the right (next to coin holder) (this is where I went – very neat). Run the wires appropriately.

gallery_3415_329_101412.jpg

Step 5: Retest, replace

Just making sure that the connections are holding and are correct. Turn the engine on and rev in neutral to see the LEDs advance.

gallery_3415_329_70478.jpg

Step 6: Put everything back together, and enjoy. Play with the settings to suit your driving style and preferences.

gallery_3415_329_58920.jpg

Neat as.

FTW! :toast::yahoo::clap::spiteful:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,i know this is an old thread, but the connections to the ecu should work regardless of what shift light/brand you use correct??

Also i did not understand what u meant by

You want pinouts 2, 4 and 19.

Pinout 3 did not have a wire, so make sure you go on the pinout, not the 4th wire along.

You say pinout 2,4, and 19, so where did pinout 3 come from?? And isnt pinout 4, the fourth wire along??

Edited by CME-LFT

Hi,i know this is an old thread, but the connections to the ecu should work regardless of what shift light/brand you use correct??

Also i did not understand what u meant by

You want pinouts 2, 4 and 19.

Pinout 3 did not have a wire, so make sure you go on the pinout, not the 4th wire along.

You say pinout 2,4, and 19, so where did pinout 3 come from?? And isnt pinout 4, the fourth wire along??

There is no wire coming out from pinout 3.

So it is the fourth pinout, third wire across.

This will work for most if not all shift lights.

post-5706-1228703485_thumb.jpg

Just remember that your shift light will more than likely have different coloured wires, read the instructions before connecting it up =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Could someone please help. Im in the middle of installing a shift light, i followed the guide and everything works EXCEPT the shift light wont turn off, its a shift light with a digital rev reading, the rev part wont turn off which means its still getting power even though the cars off.

In the guide it says pinout 4 across for ignition/acc. but it also says cable is blue/green, well i did my shift lights acc. cable to the blue/green dashboard cable but thats on pinout 5. Pinout 4 on my car (prefacelift sportivo) is RED/BLUE. could that be the problem??????

Is there a diff install for prefacelift or does the ignition wire go to red/blue??

Could someone please help. Im in the middle of installing a shift light, i followed the guide and everything works EXCEPT the shift light wont turn off, its a shift light with a digital rev reading, the rev part wont turn off which means its still getting power even though the cars off.

In the guide it says pinout 4 across for ignition/acc. but it also says cable is blue/green, well i did my shift lights acc. cable to the blue/green dashboard cable but thats on pinout 5. Pinout 4 on my car (prefacelift sportivo) is RED/BLUE. could that be the problem??????

Is there a diff install for prefacelift or does the ignition wire go to red/blue??

Just follow the pinouts, not colour of wire.

I think the colour wires you are looking at are for the ishift rather than the dash board.

If you are still having trouble, ill take some pics of mine and see how you go.

Thanks guys. Problem solved. My pinout 4 for the accessories is a red/blue coloured cable which is the right wire anyway. Everything works fine now, will take some shots when its set up right. Thinking of replacing the cig socket with the shift light,(daviboys idea) only problem is going to be a method of mounting it. :huh:

• 3 months later...