Paint Protection

Hello

Just after some advice

Have just purchased a new Aurion ZR6 and was offered paint protection, interior protection and window tinting for $945.00 + GST.

At the time I went ahead with the deal as this then means I get lifetime warranty on paint fading, interior cracking / peeling etc etc.

When I went home I thought about it a little more and this is where my question is.

With today's technology isn't all paint and internal leather (non genuine) / plastics of high quality that the items mentioned above should not be required?? Is it just a gimmick?

If anyone could shed any light on this then that would be great.

By the way I'm glad I've purchased the new ZR6, pick it up tomorrow. Wildfire

Plugger

I agree. Taking care of your paintjob is really hard with all the knobs out there who drive crappy cars (or just don't give a crap about there car) opening doors into it. :angry:

I think your right about this one regarding the plastics/interior of the new cars these days..... but no matter how good the technology gets, your paint and leather parts will always be prone to damage from careless idiots. Even if a break-through is made on scratch-proof technology it will be some time before it is standard on all new production cars. I reckon if you love your car and you value the way your paintjob, leather and interior looks, its a worthwhile investment.

Hello

Just after some advice

Have just purchased a new Aurion ZR6 and was offered paint protection, interior protection and window tinting for $945.00 + GST.

At the time I went ahead with the deal as this then means I get lifetime warranty on paint fading, interior cracking / peeling etc etc.

When I went home I thought about it a little more and this is where my question is.

With today's technology isn't all paint and internal leather (non genuine) / plastics of high quality that the items mentioned above should not be required?? Is it just a gimmick?

If anyone could shed any light on this then that would be great.

By the way I'm glad I've purchased the new ZR6, pick it up tomorrow. Wildfire

Plugger :yahoo:

I would prob not waste my money. It adds nothing on trade in. Better off to buy a bottle of protectant for the leather from an Auto dealer and polish the car every 8 months or so with high quality polish. Tint can be done elsewhere with darker tint for less money. Having said that the price is not too bad all up. VW wanted $3500 on a 26k car, bit much I thought.

I got the VIP protection...and seriously....not worth it...

I got it thrown in for me cause i wanted it but having it as an extra cost?

Not worth seriously....NOT WORTH IT!

I've had the one year check n they do nothing to it, n also if u get scratches n stuff ur car still wears like any car...

Safest bet...don't pay for protection...get a car colour that doesn't show as much...lolz (its definitely not black - my car is >_<) lolz

Take a look at the "Metallic Silver thread" ^_^

It is simply just another money spinner. I know for a fact that the paint protection used by the dealership I used to work for cost $28 for the bottle and took about 30 mins to apply. They then charge you $400+ to get it on your car. Then you have to buy the "special" car wash from them so it doesn't wash the paint protection off..... Gimmick??? Absolutely. If using any car wash can affect the paint protection then it's obviously not very good at all and sin't going to protect your paint much isn't it???

I was told by the lady who did my tint, that paint protection is a waste of money. She and her husband to alot of the Zupps dealerships out my way. She told me it only last's for one year, then you need to get it dont again. Thats why i didnt waste my time with it.

Just to let u guys know, dont u ppl ever try negotiating?

What i did is, when i bought my aurion, he asked if i wan the same package done, i told the manager that i m getting the tint done $200 and paint protection $300, both 5 yrs warranty, so the manager gave me a deal tat he accepted my offer of $500 to get them done. Tinting+Vip paint protection. and they agreed that fading will be reapplied for life time... so... why not?

i have washed my car 3 times now, IF from more washing they get fading, I WILL SURELY delete this reply of mine and PROTEST in front of tat toyota dealer!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well, at least i m happy with the job now, HOPEFULLY it doesnt fade :whistling:

Just to let u guys know, dont u ppl ever try negotiating?

What i did is, when i bought my aurion, he asked if i wan the same package done, i told the manager that i m getting the tint done $200 and paint protection $300, both 5 yrs warranty, so the manager gave me a deal tat he accepted my offer of $500 to get them done. Tinting+Vip paint protection. and they agreed that fading will be reapplied for life time... so... why not?

i have washed my car 3 times now, IF from more washing they get fading, I WILL SURELY delete this reply of mine and PROTEST in front of tat toyota dealer!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well, at least i m happy with the job now, HOPEFULLY it doesnt fade :whistling:

Why pay for something that doesn't work?? All the salesman cares about is aftermarket sales cause he gets a comission on every sale. He negiotated with you and you got it cheaper which is good for you but he doesn't really care cause he still gets that bit extra in his pocket whether the product works or not ;)

quite very true... I just had a look at the paint protection papers I got with mine... it says I need to take it in before it's 2nd yr birthday to maintain the warranty?!?!

oh well.. one lesson learnt!

quite very true... I just had a look at the paint protection papers I got with mine... it says I need to take it in before it's 2nd yr birthday to maintain the warranty?!?!

You got papers??? My parents got this option with their camry and there were no papers...

Time to give Toyota a call?

ah, i got that too on my camry, not worth it biggest regret, esp my car being black. prefare to wax it myself rather then use that paint protection. also shoulda got the tint somewhere else, not dark enough, i want that VIP look!!

That stuff is a rip off. Rust protection on cars that are galvanised now therefore wont rust anyway, Paint protection with the quality standards on cars these days is a waste. And the tinting is always overpriced from the dealer. Costs dealerships about $50 per car and they charge up to 600.

You got papers??? My parents got this option with their camry and there were no papers...

Yes, the protection stuff (on the car which the dealership had done) comes with a paper certicate with a serial number along with a folder of what I'm required to do if I was to maintain it under warranty.

Yes, the protection stuff (on the car which the dealership had done) comes with a paper certicate with a serial number along with a folder of what I'm required to do if I was to maintain it under warranty.

Yeah, got the same deal, mine says I have to take it in to authorised dealer 30 days prior or after each one year anniversary - so that's the paint protection, vinyl protection and leather protection. Each yearly inspection is free and it clearly states that no waxing of car as this may dull the paint. Weird ****!!!

• 5 years later...

I agree. Taking care of your paintjob is really hard with all the knobs out there who drive crappy cars (or just don't give a crap about there car) opening doors into it. mad.gif

I think your right about this one regarding the plastics/interior of the new cars these days..... but no matter how good the technology gets, your paint and leather parts will always be prone to damage from careless idiots. Even if a break-through is made on scratch-proof technology it will be some time before it is standard on all new production cars. I reckon if you love your car and you value the way your paintjob, leather and interior looks, its a worthwhile investment.

Agree with what you have said above….even today 5 years later! The Technology of the dealerships paint has advanced heaps, but it still doesn’t have that extra protective layer added to it (hence why you have to polish/wax it on a regular basis). I find that with the paint protection I got applied at the dealership my cars paint doesn’t fade at all (even though I live in a sunny area), if I do want that extra showoff sparkle I just wash it with a special shampoo I got from the dealership when I brought the product and it ends up looking the same as after a standard polish. Worthwhile investment indeed