CAI - What is going on???

Howdy all, first post for me as I've moved over here from the WRX community.

I am after some advice on what is doing with this mod.

I recently purchased a stock 02 corolla. I put a cold air intake (short ram) onto the car and started it up. It sounded ok for a little drive but when I got up this morning and started the car the intake sounded like a cyclone. The pod sounded like it was sucking air in but it was that loud I had to take it off it. This was just on idle. The car also idled a little rough. :blink:

The intake is model specific (purchased from SportivOoo_03)and I tried two different pods with the same result.

Any info would be great. :help::help::help:

PROCEDURE I DID:

Remove stock air box.

silicon elbow onto throttle body then attach pipe with air flow meter attached to top of pipe in the allowed spot. Attach pod and then the two, I think they are, vaccum hoses back into the part that comes off the factory box.

cheers

Simon

I recently purchased a stock 02 corolla. I put a cold air intake (short ram) onto the car and started it up. It sounded ok for a little drive but when I got up this morning and started the car the intake sounded like a cyclone. The pod sounded like it was sucking air in but it was that loud I had to take it off it. This was just on idle. The car also idled a little rough. :blink:

The intake is model specific (purchased from SportivOoo_03)and I tried two different pods with the same result.

PROCEDURE I DID:

Remove stock air box.

silicon elbow onto throttle body then attach pipe with air flow meter attached to top of pipe in the allowed spot. Attach pod and then the two, I think they are, vaccum hoses back into the part that comes off the factory box.

cheers

Simon

ehmm2x....i dunno whether u have the same prob as me or not but...i think almost the same.i would like to clarify again, r u using the stock pipping?im using K&N pod filter attached to stock pipping, it makes cyclone noise as well....and my mechanic says that the idle level is too low.... he told me to ask the toyota mechanic to increase the idle level when i service it but the toyota dude told me that they cant (dunno why). its only making cyclone noise when the engine is cold.but once its warmed up, it'll turn back to normal.im used to the noise now...since it doesnt troubled me so i just leave it as it is.well not sure if this is helpful but just letting u knw, i have the same prob. dunno exactly why...

PROCEDURE I DID:

Remove stock air box.

cheers

Simon

ehmm2x....i dunno whether u have the same prob as me or not but...i think almost the same.i would like to clarify again, r u using the stock pipping?im using K&N pod filter attached to stock pipping, it makes cyclone noise as well....and my mechanic says that the idle level is too low.... he told me to ask the toyota mechanic to increase the idle level when i service it but the toyota dude told me that they cant (dunno why). its only making cyclone noise when the engine is cold.but once its warmed up, it'll turn back to normal.im used to the noise now...since it doesnt troubled me so i just leave it as it is.well not sure if this is helpful but just letting u knw, i have the same prob. dunno exactly why...

Thanks for that. Not using the factory piping just the factory part that the two hoses go onto. the pipe I use is metal/aluminum.

Mine does that too, however I have a CAI. It does it for a bit and then, I always assumed when the engine got warm, goes quiet. Now this thread has gotten me thinking, what exactly is happening in this process?

Hey sal 02 rolla - funny that ur moving from the wrx community -- i want in!!

try resetting the ECu - take off the battery terminal connecter and pump the brakes a few times to drain the resdiual charge. Start her up and let her idle for about 5-10mins .

'Cyclonic' is pretty loud lol - rock up to one of the meets and get one of the resident experts to have a squiz.

I'm guessing it's just hte ECU adjusting to a new mod, finding the in's and out's?

Thats just the engine when its cold, it will be fine once its warmed up.

Additionally you need an ECU reset, just do a search for it and your car will be running fine.

ECU resetting euy?heard that one before but never been able to do it.is it safe using that way?so i'll just have to disconnect the battery, press the brake for few times and connect it and start it then let it idle...and the wat?

The sucking noise is normal you hav nothing to be worried about. Once its warmed up its sweet as. My car since installing the CAI on start up coughes and chokes sometimes but after letting it warm up for 1-2 min it good. The sucking is even louder on a very cold day or early morning.

rough idling can also be affected by a dirty MAF sensor, so get some electrical part cleaner spray and give it a good clean as well as resetting the ECU.

Cold start on CAI/SR are all very VERY loud.

cheers.

Hey sal 02 rolla - funny that ur moving from the wrx community -- i want in!!

:D :clap: That's gold. It was a sad sad day. if only you could live in your car like the mother in law keeps saying. lol

Will try the reset, thanks for that.

ROLLA, your sound is exactly the same as mine. Coudn't believe how loud it is. I was worried it was waking the neighbours........... three streets away.

The heating up would explain why it was quiter when I first fitted it, as I fitted it after a drive so the engine was already warm.

Don't suppose their is a way to make it quiter on start up??

Thanks everyone for the replies, really helps when you realise it's not just my car. :toast:

Cheers.

Simon

Embrace the cyclonic sound of your intake on cold idle! It's one of the joys of Corolla ownership - waking up neighbours with your "outdoor vacuum" :help::help: and having police do a dB test on your stock exhaust after they hear your intake :help::help::help:

Great fun :D

• 2 weeks later...