Handling Addiction

Hey all,

I now have The Goose and am loving the go-kart like handling. Just wondering what else can be done to improve it :P

It currently has Springs, Coilovers, Rear Swaybar, Front Strut Brace. What is left??

Cheers,

C.j

I think an LSD is a bit too far for me. I don't think I can afford it.

I don't want a Rear Strut Brace as it will get in the road all the time.

Whiteline Front Swaybar I will do.

And what is a X Brace? Where do I find one?

And is it possible to have to solid/rigid a car? Will it over and understeer all over the place if it has strong front and rear swaybars?

Cheers,

C.j

pretty much u have the basics... maybe upgrade the springs and shocks so its stiffer

summit racing, TRD, Cusco or C-one have the X brace..

the LSD will be the next best investment to ur set up...

depends how hardcore u wanna go

front sway, trd member brace, semi-slick tyres, lsd, gut your interior to shave some weight, upgrade your coilies to cusco, tein ones and sell the one u have to me real cheap :spiteful: , bucket seat so u can stay in your seat to do what u have to do in an apex........

X brace = to brace which is placed underneith the car - see below:

X-brace_installed.jpg

from understeer.com: The "x-brace" is a cross reinforment brace that helps to connect the front crossmember to the front subframe rails.

Also available:

- B pillar braces (yes i seen some for the Asia market)

- Floor pillar braces (that go along the floor behind the driver's seat -- like Type R's )

jjrbpillarbrace-s.jpg

- V brace inside between passenger and boot thingo (dunno correct name)

megan_hbrace.jpg

wrx-reartribar1-tn.jpg

:toast:

Edited by RME1

Ok, I will look for some x-brace's, cause they look simple/cheap enough. I don't want to go all out race-spec, as it is still the daily driver.

Can someone give me an estimate on installing an LSD?

Cheers for all the info,

C.j

depends how hardcore u wanna go

front sway, trd member brace, semi-slick tyres, lsd, gut your interior to shave some weight, upgrade your coilies to cusco, tein ones and sell the one u have to me real cheap :spiteful: , bucket seat so u can stay in your seat to do what u have to do in an apex........

Cuscos zero 2 coilovers would be a good upgrade, the teins would be a downgrade as they only make super wagon spec coils for the rolla (3 + 3 spring rate and bugger all adjustments).

Edited by VVTLiR

Cusco Zero 2 is a nice coilover design, but its got limitations. The Zero 2 have 5 pre-set damper adjustments, and you are stuck with that. Although is nice to have the nice fella in Cusco to set 5 pre-et adjustment for you, but later it may come to a point where those 5 pre-set damper settings won't allow you to fine tune the handling (as it is pre-set). But the seperate height adjusment from the shock absorber body is a nice touch, so lowering won't sacrifce the strut travel.

For the same money you can buy DMS coilover 40mm strut - superior in damper design, have more flexible in damper adjustments and is both bound and rebound. Softest settings can be as soft if not softer than O.E.M shock absorber too - so you won't need to worry if its going to be too hard for a ride. It also have progressive spring, even double progressive as option if you want it. Lowering is only up to 50mm though, but this kind of coilover is for performance focus. It is Australian made and design, internationally recognised too.

Both DMS and Zero 2 are monotube dampers.

If you just want street use and wont touch the damper setting, but wanting some excellent handling maybe something like cusco zero 1 is more than enough. Even D2 would be enough, plus that one gives you damper tuning also (Zero 1 don't).

If you wish to take it to the track quite often and itching to fine tune your suspension then I would recommend DMS over Cusco Zero 2 simply because its much better in every technical aspect.

Anyway, I just thought I share with you some coilover information I gathered over the last year or so.

Put semi's on if you want more grip.

I would recommend going to the track and seeing what you like and don't like about the setup and make adjustments then. No point spending money on handling changes if the lap times aren't going to change by much.

Danz: Whats the part number on the DMS?

Edited by SuperDave

DMS - ECS-TOY-ZZE-40A COROLLA SPORTIVO ZZE

But no-one answered my question. Why pay $2000 for Tein's as an example. For that I can get every brace aswell as an LSD. Is it worth the difference between brands?

And Semi's aren't road legal are they?

Cheers,

C.j

I cannot see the point of putting all these braces on your car unless you plan on flogging it around a track every weekend. What you have now will handle fine but may need to be set up by someone who knows what their doing. Heavier front sway will incease the chance on understeer somewhat and to be honest most of the braces you are looking at will only be of benefit if you're on a track at 9/10's or 10/10's.

Personally if you want better cornering play with camber/castor set up and tyres/wheel combos with a LSD.

Guest JDM y0 !
Don't forget tyres man. A good quality set of tyres is WORLDS apart in terms of handling from a cheap/mid range performance tyre.

agreed. im running pirelli p6000s and they are great. but for the fronts im gonna buy a pair of semis to see what its like.

Edited by JDM y0 !

I cannot see the point of putting all these braces on your car unless you plan on flogging it around a track every weekend. What you have now will handle fine but may need to be set up by someone who knows what their doing. Heavier front sway will incease the chance on understeer somewhat and to be honest most of the braces you are looking at will only be of benefit if you're on a track at 9/10's or 10/10's.

Personally if you want better cornering play with camber/castor set up and tyres/wheel combos with a LSD.

I will be taking it to the track, but only very occasionally. And I hate understeer, especially in a FWD car, so should I not bother with the Front Swaybar??

Will an LSD affect daily driving at all. I am after a Helical? one if possible.

Cheers,

C.j

Why don't you change the tyres first. Is that tyres of yours standard 16' Sportivo tyres?

What you have at the moment is about enough, and just like others had said you should test the car on the track first to find the limit of the car and your driving before deciding what to do with the suspensions.

Changing shocks is not needed for you at the moment.

LSD is a nice upgrade.

How to combat understeer? Why don't you start playing with the damper adjustment on your coilover? But don't be thinking it'll completely eliminate the understeer nature of FWD.

Adding front Sway bar increases stability, and yes it will promote understeer - but then you have your coilover to combat this by tuning the damper. So buying front sway bar is a good idea too if you feel further stability is needed.

Basically it comes back to your driving that determines what to upgrade and how to tune it - Good Luck.

Ok,

So I will still get the front swaybar like I planned, then head off to QR for some track-testing :)

Also, they aren't the stock Sportivo tyres, but can't tell you what they are right now, they aren't too bad though.

Thanks all for your input.

C.j