flu vaccinations

JJCRU23R

over a month ago i had a flu vaccination.

this week ive been hit with a severe cold n flu..

either runny/blocked nose... red eyes, throaty cough *cough*...

every year i pay 2 get jabbed by a needle and STILL.. im not feeling any better.

You have to remember a Cold is completely different to the Flu. And also you might have gotten a different strain of the flu if you do indeed have it.

If it was really the flu, you'd be in bed. Soooo many people mistake even mild colds for the dreaded flu, when half the symptoms don't even present themselves

Generally, a flu equals headaches, muscle pain, weakness/fatigue, coughing, fever, sometimes even pneumonia. They generally last around 1-2 weeks. It is the influenza virus

The common cold equals runny nose, sniffling, nasal congestion, sore throat, headaches etc, and generally last 3-5 days. It is a group (extremely large group, as the virus mutates all the time) of viruses belonging to the rhinovirus and coronavirus (incidentally also contains SARS) families

Being a virologist, i dont even take the flu shots myself :whistling: :P

And simply because the shots you get (is yr) is the killed/attenuated virus from last years "varient".

So if you are hit with this yrs virus, the shot you took wouldn't do much. However, taking flu shots each yr will prevent co-infection which may lead to more severe symptoms.

The thing with killed or attenuated vaccines is that you can never be certain that all the viral particles are 100% killed/attenuated, therefore some ppl get some mild symptoms after the shot. Dont worry I'm currently working on viral DNA vaccines :P

Jase, I have always had my flu shots because I have been working for Government or large organisations and they have always been given free, however every year I always got the flu.

I stopped getting them then I stopped getting the flu.

I ain't a Dr so don't ask me how it works and it may just be a coincidence, but I just don't bother any more. I haven't had the flu now for around 4 years...

as stated a Cold and the influenza virus are 2 totally different things

Getting a shot for the flu will not stop the cold.

my work provides free flu vaccinations as well.. i dont get the shot though coz i figure, if everyone in my work is getting it they cant pass the Flu on to me! lol :P

on a serious note; i figure keeping healthy and fit with general hygiene knowledge the best prevention

The last flu I had was screwed beyond comprehension (spelling? i'm just way too tired).

The fever I had was that bad that I had a dream that my socks and underwear had come to life and I ended up trying to fight them back in the closet...

...only to find that I was in fact awake the whole time. My mum found me lying crooked in my wardrobe o.O

...only to find that I was in fact awake the whole time. My mum found me lying crooked in my wardrobe o.O

LOLL

mate that sounds like the pseudoephedrine in a cold and flu pill.... or.. some other type of pill

Yeah my work was offering free flu shots as well. Didn't take up the offer, just in case the government put something "extra" in them... Man I watch too many movies.

i would assume that symptoms of flu would appear days after the flu shot. not like a month after, so i dont think my sickness is due to the immunisation. i totally dont feel like getting out of bed after waking up. oh well ill quit my bitching 4 now since theres really nothing more i cna do then panadol rapid..

aii yai yai..

besides family, uni assignments and teaching all week, i really dont need this illness right now

im a "student teacher" at the moment...

had sport today! basketball! girls basketball :P

silly girls asking me personal questions and i get hit in the head with the ball

im a "student teacher" at the moment...

had sport today! basketball! girls basketball :P

silly girls asking me personal questions and i get hit in the head with the ball

Dude that nacho pic is gold. It's printed and hanging in my cubicle as we speak.