Recall - headlights

perthcamry

TOYOTA is to write to the owners of almost 150,000 of one of the nation's most popular cars alerting them to a defect that can cause the headlights to suddenly black out.

Toyota has discovered that the headlight dimming switch on all 144589 Camry models that were built between June 2002 and May 2006 may become faulty, causing headlamps to flicker or even extinguish.

A Toyota spokesman said that more than 100 customers have reported problems with their headlights, but no one has been injured.

“There’s been 101 cases reported, but there were no accidents,” the spokesman said.

He said that in the worse case scenario, the headlights could go out for “a few seconds”.

He said the company was sending letters out to owners this week before commencing an advertising campaign in newspapers around Australia in the next fortnight.

All vehicles would be assessed and repaired free of charge, the spokesman said.

According to Toyota’s statement issued to Recalls Australia, the contact points on the switch may corrode over time.

“The headlamp switch contact points over time may oxidise (corrode) due to insufficient current flow through the switch,” the statement said.

“This oxidation may cause the headlamps (low or high beam) to flicker without warning and in the worst case may cause the headlamps to extinguish momentarily.”

i changed to hid... so it doesnt matter for me rite? so... i didnt face this..

It is the problem of the switch, even though you have HID, the problem is still there.

i would only take my car back unless the problem occur.

Taking back to Toyota is so so so troublesome.

TOYOTA is to write to the owners of almost 150,000 of one of the nation's most popular cars alerting them to a defect that can cause the headlights to suddenly black out.

Toyota has discovered that the headlight dimming switch on all 144589 Camry models that were built between June 2002 and May 2006 may become faulty, causing headlamps to flicker or even extinguish.

A Toyota spokesman said that more than 100 customers have reported problems with their headlights, but no one has been injured.

“There’s been 101 cases reported, but there were no accidents,†the spokesman said.

He said that in the worse case scenario, the headlights could go out for “a few secondsâ€.

He said the company was sending letters out to owners this week before commencing an advertising campaign in newspapers around Australia in the next fortnight.

All vehicles would be assessed and repaired free of charge, the spokesman said.

According to Toyota’s statement issued to Recalls Australia, the contact points on the switch may corrode over time.

“The headlamp switch contact points over time may oxidise (corrode) due to insufficient current flow through the switch,†the statement said.

“This oxidation may cause the headlamps (low or high beam) to flicker without warning and in the worst case may cause the headlamps to extinguish momentarily.â€

Did they say what part of Australia?....ie low or high humidity areas / coastal (salt) regions.

It would be interesting how many of those cars are garaged? Percentage wise it is only 0.07%

Edited by VSportivo6

• 2 weeks later...

So is this something Toyota will proactively do I should we ask for it? I'm having my 37.5k service tomorrow (i.e. 6 months left of warranty) so I might ask about it to make sure it is done.

Do you know what was fixed or done? The recall msg said that Toyota's sending letters out to Camry owners but I haven't rec'd mine yet.

I haven't received a letter either. I didn't ask but on the Invoice details it says changing headlamp dimmer switch and patch harness.

I recieved a letter a few days ago. We don't own the car now though (It was a 05 model).

Recieved letter 2 weeks ago, going to wait for next service interval before getting it fixed. Never experienced the issue.

Also I noticed the letter came direct from Toyota not the dealer. Which might explain why some people didn't get it if you purchase from private seller?

Do you know what was fixed or done? The recall msg said that Toyota's sending letters out to Camry owners but I haven't rec'd mine yet.

We install a wiring patch with a relay and a fuse in the fuse block...

Connect wires to the headlight switch, earth strap, fuse block (two wires) and install the fuse...

When you turn the headlights on and off, you'll hear the relay click... It's as easy as one two three...

The Corolla and Echo headlight switch recall was a little different in which the Headlight/Blinker stalk assy itself was replaced...

• 3 weeks later...
Recieved letter 2 weeks ago, going to wait for next service interval before getting it fixed. Never experienced the issue.

Also I noticed the letter came direct from Toyota not the dealer. Which might explain why some people didn't get it if you purchase from private seller?

Letter Received...

I believe they are traceing ppl through the RTA (ie we have changed the Rego since purchase....this letter states current rego)

Brad

Finally letter received today...

I received the letter today as well (my housemate tells me). I'm from Perth, but out of the country on holiday at the moment so I can't do anything about it.

They don't send all the letters out at once... They split them up to avoid too many recalls being booked in at the same time...

If you havn't got your letter and you're worried about it, call your local dealership and enquire if your car fits into the recall... You'll need to quote your VIN number to the dealership warranty manager and see what outstanding recalls exist for your car...

If there are any outstanding recalls, get put thru to the receptionist and book your car in for the recalls at the first available appointment :) :) :) ...