2005 Corolla Sportivo with late model TRD CAI

Hello everyone,

I just installed my TRD CAI that I purchased from Xploshun and his group buy. When I tried to put the pipe in, the pipe wouldn't fit. I had to move it around and it finally fitted in my car but it ended up in an awkward position. (I will post up images soon). Hence everything did not go according to the manual script so me and my friend invented ways of putting in the brackets and so forth.

I'm not sure if I placed everything in the right position so I'm going to post up pictures ver soon so to show everyone if I've done it correctly or not.

When I finally finished everything, I turned on my car and I could here from the pod a choking sound. Almost like it was coughing? Now people,,is this freakin normal!?!?!?!!?!!?

Any comments on this topic is appeciated. Please don't leave any hateful comments cause i'm already down as it is (besides the sound my CAI makes).

Thanks for reading.

Hey mate, my install wasnt the easiest either....didnt end up using the bracket that needs to be chopped adn goes near headlight...i just used the one attachment on the wheel arch, using the double sided threaded screw with the rubber middle.....and all sits tight as....is tight between metal and headlight ne ways and isnt gunna move to much...also added padded tape to ne spots that had rub marks, as i took mine out the next day to put different filter on and wanted to put tape as a buffer between CAI and any spots where it touched something. Mine doesnt make a choking sound...just a sucking sound .....bit hard to explain.....i just did as told by TOCAU workshop submission

2ZZGE install of CAI

Brown VSV remove all after grommet and plug off after grommet

and the blue VSV at back....attached to new bracket supplied...bolted from wheel arch/strut area, changed one hose to one supplied as needed lenght, and this is the one that went to the little bottle like reservoir....maybe butterfly thingy or something called in manual...sits close to firewall.....andthe other pipe on the VSV is the one that comes from the engine and is held in place by the plastic engine cover, it "hooks" over it at about mid way.....thats the only pipes that are connected....just two (hope this is correct) as brwon VSV is removed and pipe after grommet blocked, the little one inch pipe (in built to CAI) is capped off mith grommet supplied and then just MAF sensor put on

- brown VSV remove all after grommet and block off

- one hose off BLUE VSV to canister near firewall (swap hose to the 8-10" one supplied by TRD....need the lenght due to position of VSV onnew bracket coming off strut

- one hose off Blue VSV goes to engine, hose is already there...the large one held in place by plastic engine cover

-MAF put back on...with TRD screws supplied :)

- little inbuilt tube on CAI blocked off with grommet supplied

thats all of it.........please let me know if im wrong as i would like to fix mine if so

Hello everyone,

I just installed my TRD CAI that I purchased from Xploshun and his group buy. When I tried to put the pipe in, the pipe wouldn't fit. I had to move it around and it finally fitted in my car but it ended up in an awkward position. (I will post up images soon). Hence everything did not go according to the manual script so me and my friend invented ways of putting in the brackets and so forth.

I'm not sure if I placed everything in the right position so I'm going to post up pictures ver soon so to show everyone if I've done it correctly or not.

When I finally finished everything, I turned on my car and I could here from the pod a choking sound. Almost like it was coughing? Now people,,is this freakin normal!?!?!?!!?!!?

Any comments on this topic is appeciated. Please don't leave any hateful comments cause i'm already down as it is (besides the sound my CAI makes).

Hey did you reset you ecu??? If not you might want to give it a go b4 you start stressing Theres a diy on it somewhere good luck

When mounting, remember that the engine does not sit still in the engine bay, there is a fair amount of movement during normal driving, not to mention when slugging the car around. The reason the "chopped" bracket was used and the wheel arc mount point abandoned was because that position gave the rubber hose the most freeplay for engine movement.

Look here and you will see the kind of engine movement that can be found on our cars

so i should try abandoning the wheel arch mount (rubber middle double sided bolt) and try for just the bracket near the headlight....it is already there and cut down but doesnt really line up that well...i think from memory the CAI mounting point is 1-2 cm closer to the front of car than the bracket.....does it really matter that it is solely held by the bracket on the wheel arch, as this bracket is a flexible rubber screw thing that can flex......and the rubber hose should be able to handle the movement ?.....i might give it a go on the weekend....although if it ****s me too much trying to move the CAI around...as its a tight fit etc ill just leave it as is....the chopped bracket also connects to CAI using the two ended bolt with rubber middle yeah....i can see that just mounting at front would give more movement and less stress on the rubber hose as it can move as a whole, the cai can move a fair bit and is only held by the "chopped" bracket furhter down the CAI......like moving from elbow down or moving from shoulder down...greater movement available from hinged point further away.....etc...

please let me know if its really worth the pulling out battery fiddling around etc....or should i just regularly check the rubber hose etc...........as far as engine movement goes.....it only moves this far when under load (dyno....normal driving) yeah....as free revving whilst standing over engine bay (checking for air leaks after install CAI) it doesnt move too much

cheers

sorry to go on a bit of a tangent but i guess the answers to my Q's may help others

Dunno if the TRD CAI is the same with the other intakes that I purchased if it is then.

It will rub on the final bend against the chasis and eventually a hole will appear in your CAI. Solution is to just wedge something between them, I used an old 3" tube cut in half now (I used cardboard before lol).

If everything fits nice and the rubber elbow is not flexed when the engine is off then there's no reason to take everything out. It's just that when I was installing mine, i initially tried the wheel arch mount point and the rubber elbow had to flex flightly to accomodate the angle of the CAI piping. I remember a few members complaining of cracked rubber elbows so, following Bill's advice, i thought i'd install it properly so I wouldn't have to go hunting for a new rubber elbow in a few months time.

Yoshi. I didn't realise that was your car. hehehe

Dunno if the TRD CAI is the same with the other intakes that I purchased if it is then.

It will rub on the final bend against the chasis and eventually a hole will appear in your CAI. Solution is to just wedge something between them, I used an old 3" tube cut in half now (I used cardboard before lol).

Yeah i did the exact same thing, The guys at shift were awesome and knew of the problem. They provided offcuts of rubber tubing to be placed at specific points that the pipe rubs the chasis.

ok sweet...ill check tonight to see whether the rubber elbow is forced to flex un naturally when the engine is off, at present i have double sided padded tape on both the metal and also on the CAI where it sits below headlight, i only peeled off one side of the doublesided tape so that it still has the smooth plastic on it, so therefore there is tow layers of doublesided padded tape one on CAI and one on metal under battery tray....so the smooth parts are sitting on each other and should slide on each other ok, i do like the idea of using half another 3" pipe to sit arounf the CAI, i might have a look for some thin 3 " pipe somewhere to use and wrestle it into position

cheers

hi everyone,

does anyone know how to remove their headlights, or provide a link, cause I feel that if I can remove the headlights then the CAI might fit better.

Cheers everyone,

hi everyone,

does anyone know how to remove their headlights, or provide a link, cause I feel that if I can remove the headlights then the CAI might fit better.

Cheers everyone,

So does this late model TRD CAI not require the back edge of the hole behind the headlight to be modified?? If it does then that would be why you can't get all your mounts to line up as it is pullin the CAI towards the front of the car. you have to make the back edge of the hole rounded to allow clearance between the headlight and the CAI and also for clearance of the underside of the CAI where it goes throgh the hole into the inner guard.

This what you mean ?....i think it does need to be modified if you want to use the brakcet near headlight...or atleast protect CAI with fadded tape or a sleeve etc between the CAI and metal edge...currently i have padded tape of both CAI and metal edge, although i might go to bunnings and buy some 3 inch hose and make a sleeve to protect it, my CAI is held in place by the other anchor point on the wheel arch ....it is held tight near headlight just due to the tight fit itself....

cheers

post-3050-1185335661_thumb.jpg

post-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpgpost-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpgpost-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpghi everyone,

Well I woke up this morning determine to fix the problem. I some how ended up putting the CAI in the correct position. However the car still sometimes coughes. Nevertheless, my main problem now is the cables.

As you can see below:

post-1993-1185340102_thumb.jpg

post-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpgpost-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpgpost-1993-1185340015_thumb.jpghi everyone,

Well I woke up this morning determine to fix the problem. I some how ended up putting the CAI in the correct position. However the car still sometimes coughes. Nevertheless, my main problem now is the cables.

As you can see below:

1). Well, the first three pictures are all the same, (pressed upload to many times), and would like to know what that cable does? Cause that cable is coming from the brown VSV.

2). The second cable is to show you guys whether I have done it right or not.

Furthermore, I went to an auto barn shop to buy a pod fillter. The guy serving me ended up giving me a lecture saying that oiled filters are better than oiled filters. Is this true??

Any helpful comments would be appreciated. :)

If you bend the back edge(closest to the strut tower) of the hole the CAI goes through down it will give you the clearance you need. I have fitted many CAI's to facelift sportivo's and corolla's to know that they do fit but you have to modify the back edge lip down to gain that little more clearance.

These CAI's are not really designed to fit our cars but moreso USA spec cars.

Umm guys, mine won't fit. I can't even get the headlight bracket in as the adjustor for the parks etc is in the way. are we certain it fits the facelift 1zz

Yes it does fit, as i have a 1zz facelift w/ TRD Intake. Its a very tight fit and it required me to take off my front bar to do it properly - oh and i have the TRD pod in too.

hey eric...with the pics....im 99.9 % sure that just after the blue grommet you cap that hose off and it doesnt connect to where you have on the CAI, the little knob that comes out of the CAI has the grommet supplied slid over it to seal it off, im not sure if what i did is only for the 2zz or not.....do u have a 1zz?.......refer to previous replies i made earlier as to what i did with my CAI.....and i think its all fine and correct, i followed the workshop submission on TOCAU

hey eric...with the pics....im 99.9 % sure that just after the blue grommet you cap that hose off and it doesnt connect to where you have on the CAI, the little knob that comes out of the CAI has the grommet supplied slid over it to seal it off, im not sure if what i did is only for the 2zz or not.....do u have a 1zz?.......refer to previous replies i made earlier as to what i did with my CAI.....and i think its all fine and correct, i followed the workshop submission on TOCAU

thxs man, I knew I had to close that off. I have the 2zz. So what happens to the long hose coming from the brown VSV? Do I take out that hose and cover it up? (Is tape a good idea??)

ths heaps jaderd

took off everything after the grommet and that left about 2 inches of plain hose after the grommet, i then used a larger screw and screwed it into the hose making its own thread in the hose and therefore sealing it, i then zip tied this pipe to the other pipe that goes from the engine to the blue vsv, just keeps it tidy and out of the way.

cheers

took off everything after the grommet and that left about 2 inches of plain hose after the grommet, i then used a larger screw and screwed it into the hose making its own thread in the hose and therefore sealing it, i then zip tied this pipe to the other pipe that goes from the engine to the blue vsv, just keeps it tidy and out of the way.

cheers

Yo Jaderd, it would be super awesome if you could post one or two pictures of what you've done so that I can compare and all that.

Hope thats not to troublesome for you.

Cheers,

Hey mate, how mine is done looks identical to the TRD INSTALL which is in the workshop submissions, although i think the vsv is mounted on diff angle to mine...i printed the pics out and took them out to the car to check all mine was fine as doing it....with pics at the car you can pic out features on both car and pic and see excactly whats what.......looking on comp then going out to car and trying to remember is ****....just prin off...take out and you can see clearly how it is supposed to be......and can pick which hose is which etc.....give it a go otherwise ill take some....though they will be the same

cheers mate