We are One of You now...

cosmichobo

G'day,

Well, parked in the driveway is a 2000 Camry Conquest... V4, 2.2L I think...

profile.jpg

rear.jpg

Technically it's my fiancée's car, now that we're about to become a family - needed somewhere to put a baby seat, and the Nissan 280zx's rear seat doesn't quite cut it...

RE: previous post - the mirrors have been repaired by the caryard before we picked it up. They said it was a "short" somewhere.

Was worried the CD was dead, as it didn't want to play the first disc I put in... but after giving it a quick clean, and trying again, I had The Beatles "blasting" through those really loud [sarc] speakers :) [not really complaining - I'm not one to put a 12" sub in a car...]

Cheers

cosmic

Edited by cosmichobo

It's got a very neat interior too... non smoking previous owners by the smell (and lack of ciggie burns).

Only 3 minor interior issues are

2 screw holes where someone's maybe screwd in a car kit on the centre dash section

Carpet bunching a little on passenger side where it tucks into the dash

Valence/bezel missing from just below the CD player

Honestly though, can't complain... supposedly it was a bit pricey - $7990 - with 192,000km - but looking at similar cars here in Qld, it wasn't that bad IMO.

LOTS of boot room for the pram :blink:

Now just gotta get a job when I graduate from Uni to pay back fiancée's dad...

I'm guessing you got this car from a dealer?

It looks really good in the pics for a car with 192,000 kms. These engines will last a long time if treated right. My mech said that they'll go for at least 300,000 to 350,000 kms with regular service.

My 98 Camry is already approaching 274,000 kms and the engine/fuel consumption is still good. Just little niggly things to fix on cars with high mileage such as replace shocks, especially the strut tower mounts (known to go bad in these models), auto trans flush and now one of the lower ball joints is busted (prob due to a pothole I hit last week). But nothing major so far.

Then when the engine dies, you have the choice to slot in another 5SFE or consider a turbo conversion to the celica GT4's 3SGTE. :yahoo:

Yes, it was from a dealer... Rodports in Slacks Creek, Bris.

The price was at the upper end of our budget, but I guess ultimately was better getting a more modern car than the 95 Bluebird I originally had my heart set on.

We took it for a drive tonight... Only one concern, and one curio...

The CD player might be on the turn... Have tried 2 CDs in it, and it's had problems with both... will play for a while, but ends up skipping, then err001... (the numbers are a guess - made it up - if it means anything, I'll pay more attention next time)

Also the curiosity was the rear demister... At first it just made the middle of the rear window defrost - a strip right in the middle. Then slowly the top half cleared up, and finally the bottom. At first I thought maybe only the middle 2 lines were working...

I'll make a fresh post about the CD player after I've had a look in the manual...

cheers

-

tints and wheels? It's got non-mag wheels...

Edited by cosmichobo

Have you cleaned the cd player with one of those disc cleaners? Maybe it's just the lens of the player that is dirty, causing those errors.

As for the deminster, mine also acts like that. The middle part clears up first, then th top and bottom.

Well, what can I say... :}

Just had a flat battery at the shops... looks like I'll be going back to the car yard tomorrow to haggle for a new battery.

Not the camry's fault... RACQ checked the alternator etc, they were all fine. The battery only had 137 CCA, and is meant to be over 400... even though the volts read 12.4.

Good to know that the demister works the same on yours, vivio. Just seemed a bit odd! :0)

I tried cleaning the CD player, and now it wont read any CDs....

The battery in the gen 4 should be quite a large one. I've replaced mine before and it was a very heavy unit!

About the CD player, not sure what's wrong, perhaps you could check with the dealer. The players I've used always performed better after some cleaning.

The CD player might be on the turn... Have tried 2 CDs in it, and it's had problems with both... will play for a while, but ends up skipping, then err001... (the numbers are a guess - made it up - if it means anything, I'll pay more attention next time)

it says in my manual book.

"Err1" - Loaded disc is dirty or improperly inserted. Check disc and try again.

"Err2" - No magazine in changer. Insert magazine in changer.

"Err3" - CD player problem, cannot play. Eject the disc and try again.

"Err4" - Over-current, cannot play. Eject the disc and try again.

which cd player do you have?

Hi again,

The dealer is going to get us a new battery free of charge (as I was certainly expecting). I looked at it when it went flat... certainly is a bit larger than the battery in my Nissan 280zx.

On the CD front, his response was "I don't do CDs". Can't say it impressed me...

leassuance, when the car's running again I'll get some more info on the CD, pay attention to the exact error message, and maybe take a pic.

The fact that the "bezel" just under the CD player is missing makes me suspect it's been removed at some point, and maybe found faulty and put back in..? Or of course could be coincidence.

I'll play with it a bit more before looking into the responsibility of the dealer... I'm guessing a working CD player isn't high on the list of priorities under the Law... we do have a 1 year warranty under some 3rd party company ("free" with the car, though of course the real cost has presumably been added to the sales price), though I'm not sure it would cover the car's audio either. More reading...