Civic Type R 2007

It’s almost like a ritual, every time a certain type of Honda is planned, presented and finally launched, car enthusiasts from all around the world patiently wait and hope for a souped up version rocking the legendary Type-R badge.

But what’s a Type-R?

Well, if you look back, it’s been almost 20 years since Honda started selling “street legal” high performance cars for all those who see something more in cars, than just a quick way to go from point A to B.

There has been the NSX Type-R, that I had the pleasure to drive and review, the Integra, the Accord and of course the Civic Type-R. All are vehicle which put passion for performance and driving as top priorities…for every car that shows the famous logo there have been people at Honda working with a total dedication on each part of the car which directly affect the drivability and efficiency: the engine obviously but also the suspensions, gearbox, clutch, the overall rigidity and the weight reduction among other things.

If I had to add a couple more words about what a Type-R is, I’d say that it translates into an “official” white colour, and specific Honda emblem (a big H with a red background). Unfortunately for us there was no white car left at the showroom so we had to take one offering a wonderful electric blue! Not so bad!

I must admit that it may be hard to realize, but what you have in front of your eyes is a Honda Civic, yes the Civic, a car that has been part of the Honda line-up for 34 years. For the first time the Japanese manufacturer used a new strategy for its best-seller, each main automotive market will have its own Civic. This is why the European version is so much different from what we have here, between the US and the JDM version though, the differences are not so big, especially when you look at the front end, pretty similar.

Of course the one we had is the 2007 JDM Honda Civic Type-R, codename “FD2”.

First thing first, the new Civic is only available as a 4 door sedan and the differences between a "standard" Civic and ours would go like this (exterior): an aggressive body kit, 18 inches rims, a sport exhaust and a HUGE rear wing and then you instantly think : "Hey wait a minute, this is no longer a hatchback !!"

In fact this new Civic Type-R looks much more (in overall dimensions and style) like an Evo or a WRX than anything else, surprising!

Once you step inside the "Type-R" treatment is visible through the usual bucket seats, specific shift knob and aluminium pedals...and that's pretty much it, the rest is very similar to what you can find in a "normal" Honda Civic...or is it? Let's compare a Civic 2.0GL with our baby...

2007 JDM Honda Civic 2.0GL

-155PS, 188Nm, 1300Kg

2007 JDM Honda Civic Type-R

-225PS, 215Nm, 1270Kg

The result is +65PS, +27Nm and -30kg and it looks like a good difference doesn't it? Well no matter if it does or not... it certainly FEELS like a totally different car.

As expected the i-VTEC engine, masterpiece of Honda, is deliciously smooth at low Rpms (making it really easy to drive downtown) and then turns into a RAGING beast once your crossed the 4500/5000 Rpms "limit" en route to Nine Thousand Rounds Per Minute in a rocket style and sound that very few cars can deliver.

Even though the engine is really a wonderful piece of technology you have to think about the Type-R as a whole, the gearbox is perfectly adapted to it thanks to short ratios helping you deal with the low torque, as you know, the inline 4 cylinders motor is naturally aspirated. Add to this excellent brakes and you have your time attack killer.

Time attack, hotlap...what certainly is the greatest quality of the 2007 Type-R eventually turned into what happens to be its main and major drawback...let me explain.

First of all we have been driving the car for almost 1.000 kilometers in all types of weather and roads conditions and we found out something wrong.

The engine? Far from.

The brakes? No.

The steering? No.

The grip? No, the LSD gives this FWD unrivaled grip as a stock car.

The suspensions? Bingo! and especially the default set up...

After a couple miles we discovered how incredibly uncomfortable the Civic Type-R could be, every single bump on any apparently flat-looking road will make you feel its presence and when you drive as much as we did believe me, this is FAR from enjoyable...but ok, alright, this is a sports car and we know that it's not the best car for cruising...still...it is far more uncomfortable than an NSX Type-R or even worse, than a car that we tested around the same time and which is famous for its "racetrack abilities": the Lotus Exige S.

Of course I know that some of you won't ever consider this as a problem and would trade comfort for performance any day but unless the road is as flat as a paper sheet, your back will remind you of my words.

In order to have a second point of view and see what this machine is really capable of, I asked my friend and professional race driver (Japanese Gymkhana champion, Bridgestone test driver) Masaki Nishihara.

His driving confirmed my worries, if the tarmac is not perfectly flat, driving this car feels more like riding a wild horse and we all know that regular roads are not all like racing circuits...strange...well not necessarily...because the 2007 Civic Type-R is a proper track killer, imagined and tuned for track use with no compromise. Suzuka, Motegi, Tsukuba, this is the kind of places where this car is meant to be driven and where it will completely feel at home.

Once you understood this, the rest is nothing but automotive heaven at an incredibly affordable price in Japan...what about city to track and track to city? Well...unless you have your own tow truck I suggest you use cushions!

A small price to pay for such a car.

Photo By David MICHAUD

Plus:

Style

Engine

Performance

Double personality

Minus:

Suspensions for everyday use

What about the Integra ?

Conclusion:

1000km through sunny to rainy weather, from city to mountain roads, from flat surfaces to not so flat tarmac, we have been testing this 2007 Japanese Honda Civic Type-R in as many ways as we could think of and the result is an incredible car with enormous potential...a machine which was built with performance in mind and which favourite playground is by far the racing track. No compromise. You have been warned !

Honda_Civic_Type_R_002.jpg

Honda_Civic_Type_R_013.jpg

Honda_Civic_Type_R_025.JPG

Honda_Civic_Type_R_026.JPG

Honda_Civic_Type_R_030.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple miles we discovered how incredibly uncomfortable the Civic Type-R could be, every single bump on any apparently flat-looking road will make you feel its presence and when you drive as much as we did believe me, this is FAR from enjoyable...but ok, alright, this is a sports car and we know that it's not the best car for cruising...still...it is far more uncomfortable than an NSX Type-R or even worse, than a car that we tested around the same time and which is famous for its "racetrack abilities": the Lotus Exige S.

People need to harden up. If a sports car is too uncomfortable then buy the base or luxury model, don't ruin it for everyone else.

some cars are not allowed to be imported, and i think the JDM type R would be one of them too~ to proct the uk version.... #.3~ just like only semiauto mrs were sold, but u can bring in ur own manual one nor get it from da dealer... sux~...

again, i am sure people can get around it by importing it as personal items... dont really know how it wrks tho~

i spoke to a regular customer of mine and hes an importer and he said u cant import it here coz we already have civic sedan here, BUT he imported the ep3 civic r, which we also have the normal ep civic here, so iam so confused!!

Apparently Honda is entering a WRC spec version into the FIA WRC. Should be interesting... I think if it does well, it could almost kill Lancer Evo sales. I wouldn't mind seeing TMC enter a car into the WRC given the successes in the ARC.