New Corolla Hub Swap To 1ZZ Models???

Rolla Boy

Been out shopping for rims this weekend and hard to find anything in 4 stud in a larger size...

Was curious to think if the hubs from the new corolla could be pressed into the Sportivo brake setup... Wonder if they're a different size...

Might get some hubs into work and do some measurements...

Anyone else thought of doing this???

what suspension setup do the new ones run at the rear? If it's still torsion beam then the rear's would be easy to sort out.

Is the front the standard McPherson setup they've used forever? If so you could check the wheel bearing and outer CV cup part numbers between the models and that should give you a decent idea if the lot will go together.

I hope the hubs are cheaper than subaru hubs which are around $240ea!

I know the older corolla rear hub assy's are rediculously expensive, even with a Toyota staff discount.

Edited by rollamods

I think rollamods or ralyrt mentioned that the zzt231 celica hubs are a direct fitment onto the zze122/3 corolla's......hope that helps. If your going brand new then trust me......it is really expensive and definitely not worth it.

IIRC mickytee said that its illegal in nsw......but all the s13 guys are doing it though.... 4 stud to 5 stud conversion

I think rollamods or ralyrt mentioned that the zzt231 celica hubs are a direct fitment onto the zze122/3 corolla's......hope that helps. If your going brand new then trust me......it is really expensive and definitely not worth it.

IIRC mickytee said that its illegal in nsw......but all the s13 guys are doing it though.... 4 stud to 5 stud conversion

You can use ST celica hubs on the earlier IRS corolla's.

If you use all toyota parts it's pretty easy to get the PCD change engineered. When you use the cheap chinese hub conversion kits then it's not so easy...

For the cost of new hubs + 5 stud wheels, it would be cheaper to get a set of custom 4x100 wheels or some decent Japanese wheels.

Edited by rollamods

ZZT231 Celica hubs definately fit on the front, and im pretty sure about the rear but cant remember off the top of my head.

Not illegal, but as Rollamods said they will need to be engineered. But, again as he said if its toyota - toyota it shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

I think the older models had bearing that would be exposed once you dismantled the hubs, while the zze122/3 had sealed bearings instead

You're best off replacing the wheel bearings when you dismantle the front hub. The outer race usually stays stuck on the hub shaft and you use a bearing splitter to remove it.

The wheel bearing assembly is about $70 from CBC, or $1100 from toyota. ZZE122 and the 2ZZ celica use the same front wheel bearing. Make sure you use bearing fit from Loctite when assembling with the new bearing, you dont want the new bearing spinning in the carrier or on the hub. A hub and a couple of special tools are required to rebuild the front axle assembly.

• 9 months later...

hi i'm new here i stumbled on this thread via google, i'm looking to do the same to my g/fs car so wanted to ask....

is this an easy swap? i repair mitsu GTO's for a living and own a owners club over here in the UK so spanner work is easy. its simply the fitment that i'm concerned about. the car is a 2003 1.6 vvt-i 5 door and i'm looking to fit a set of 17s to it. with 5 stud being the pattern of choice these days it would be a nice upgrade or is it a pain?

Once you get the brake rotors off you can see how easy/difficult it is. I haven't done the swap but Rollamods outlines the details.

Or if your lazy/smart you can just buy the Celica hub assembly and just swap that over :lol: