Query for Strut & sway bar for sportvio

I dunt know i should buy or not,

I read the function and theory from many website, that is good for car's suspension.

I wonder when those parts installed in corolla, is the effect evident?

Anyone have experience on it, here? thanks :)

how many of you bought a swap bar here? is it worth?

Thanks and regards :)

I recently installed a front tower/strut bar, and can only say that I am very surprised it did not come standard. When turning, instead of you leaning in the seat until you almost fall out the door, it feels as though the body of the car stays straighter, and corners much more confidently. I feel as though there is much less understeer, and when there is, it is easier to correct it.

Also, I found that I was sitting 'comfortably' when performing a 90 degree corner at about 30-40kmph without the strut, while with it it is easy to do it at 50-oddkmph with it. On the otherhand, others have said there is a finer line when losing traction with a strut. Haven't found that point yet. I even put a strut in my Echo and have found an unbelievable difference.

Meanwhile, the rear sway is sitting at home, waiting to be put in. Just have to figure out the logistics of how (without paying for it to be done!).

Long story short: if you like cornering fast and true, you will not be disappointed with these mods.

I would do in the following order......

Tyres - If you have really crappy ones

Rear Sway bar

Front Sway

Springs and/or shocks

I found the sway bar to have a larger effect on the overall handling compared to the strut bar......as some people would say, a strut bar is a rice factor

I have a front strut, rear sway, sticky tyres and coilovers.

Everything compliments each other, but the best difference i think is the tyres. You can have good suspension, but whats the use if you dont have the rubber to stick it down......

Do not skimp on tyres if you love your handling.....

Meanwhile, the rear sway is sitting at home, waiting to be put in. Just have to figure out the logistics of how (without paying for it to be done!).

Its a pretty easy job to do, it is just 2 bolts that are torqued up pretty tight. If you look through some of the sway bar threads (maybe the Whiteline GB) I outlined the steps involved.

To the original poster.

I found the front strut's effect was very limited, gave a little more front end traction due to reducing the axle tramping a little. The rear strut made a bigger difference since the rear of the car is a bit soft. But if your after a mod that will actually improve lap times/mid corner speeds, then the rear anti roll bar is the better buy. If you own a Sportivo and are on a budget do a swap for a 1zz rear antiroll bar, it is 21mm vs Whitelines 22mm and 23mm for TRD. You'll be able to pick up the standard rolla anti roll bar for cheap at the wreckers, or free if your grandma owns a rolla. But if you have a 1zz rolla just grab a Whiteline anti roll bar since it is a lot cheaper than a TRD or Cusco one.

(note: anti roll bar = sway bar)

Its a pretty easy job to do, it is just 2 bolts that are torqued up pretty tight. If you look through some of the sway bar threads (maybe the Whiteline GB) I outlined the steps involved.

To the original poster.

I found the front strut's effect was very limited, gave a little more front end traction due to reducing the axle tramping a little. The rear strut made a bigger difference since the rear of the car is a bit soft. But if your after a mod that will actually improve lap times/mid corner speeds, then the rear anti roll bar is the better buy. If you own a Sportivo and are on a budget do a swap for a 1zz rear antiroll bar, it is 21mm vs Whitelines 22mm and 23mm for TRD. You'll be able to pick up the standard rolla anti roll bar for cheap at the wreckers, or free if your grandma owns a rolla. But if you have a 1zz rolla just grab a Whiteline anti roll bar since it is a lot cheaper than a TRD or Cusco one.

(note: anti roll bar = sway bar)

thank you. my one is ZzE123 '03-'04 version, I dunt know it is worth or not. :)

Regards

thank you. my one is ZzE123 '03-'04 version, I dunt know it is worth or not. :)

Regards

zze123 is the Sportivo. Start with the rear anti roll bar from the normal rolla (zze122). Should be able to pick them up for a few dollars at the wreckers if you don't know of anyone who wants to swap.

Edit: And it is worth it, removes a lot of understeer.

Edited by SuperDave

i got my whiteline rear sway from burson's for 150, which i think its WELL worth it, swaybars are BIG bang for your buck i reckon, just get it and i highly doubt u will regret, and when u think about it its not something that u have to change after time, so u pay for it and enjoy it for many years to come

oh and review? two words- flat conering!

Edited by sportiyo

before u go out and start buying metal bar bits to attach to ur car y dont u first tell us what handling probs ur having with ur driving style and ur car ?

what u need to bolt onto the car depends on how u want it to react to things when u corner .... dont simply go out and buy stuff "because" its made for the car.

for example i'd have to say the front strut is a must have on the rolla

now regarding sway bars wat do u want to invoke more under or over steer ? i would imagine oversteer since this is a FWD and it already understeers to the crap house .... however if u get coilovers u might find that the reaction of ur car on ur coils invokes all the oversteer that u need so u dont need a rear sway ...... this is what i found ..... took a corner nice and hard and what u know the rear end was swinging through .... that made up my mind that no i dont need a rear sway ......

look u can listen to all the guys on here as much as u want but i think work out what ur trying to improve and work on the bits to improve rather than just buying everything because its listed as an item u can purchase.

Take it to the track and lean on it a bit through the corners. Add bits individually and see how they affect your performance one by one. Sort of along the same lines as what Xoom said.

Hey Dave what's this piece of a 1ZZ car that helps the 2ZZ car handle better? Maybe that's why I beat Micky :lol:

before u go out and start buying metal bar bits to attach to ur car y dont u first tell us what handling probs ur having with ur driving style and ur car ?

what u need to bolt onto the car depends on how u want it to react to things when u corner .... dont simply go out and buy stuff "because" its made for the car.

for example i'd have to say the front strut is a must have on the rolla

now regarding sway bars wat do u want to invoke more under or over steer ? i would imagine oversteer since this is a FWD and it already understeers to the crap house .... however if u get coilovers u might find that the reaction of ur car on ur coils invokes all the oversteer that u need so u dont need a rear sway ...... this is what i found ..... took a corner nice and hard and what u know the rear end was swinging through .... that made up my mind that no i dont need a rear sway ......

look u can listen to all the guys on here as much as u want but i think work out what ur trying to improve and work on the bits to improve rather than just buying everything because its listed as an item u can purchase.

I agree, it really depends on the driver driving style - speed, how agressive the driver is, fast in slow out or slow in and fast out. In order to decide which parts you need to buy as different parts will change the overall behaviour.

Zoom is correct, dont listen to one person as everybody drives differently.

On my previous Pulsar SSS (remember the SSS had multilink rear suspension, so a rear sway bar will not have much effect than corolla), I had kings springs and semi slicks at philip lsland track, I found the shocks were too weak for the tires and my cornering was difficult (becos the tyres are gripping the track but the shocks couldnt handle it) so I didnt achieved much.

Later I got a set of konis and the effect is more than double.

now with my corolla, I got a set of D2's, cornering has improved a lot, but since I am still wearing the standard turanza tyres, I found it difficult in acheiving the speed I want to as I feel the tyres is sliding on the road. ESPECIALLY IN WET!!!

If I am you, try to do one thing at a time, and you can see the difference you gain! Obviously base on the budget you have also.

Although the coilover is the most expensive item, dont forget you can set the soft and hardness so you can tune it base on your needs.

now with my corolla, I got a set of D2's, cornering has improved a lot, but since I am still wearing the standard turanza tyres, I found it difficult in acheiving the speed I want to as I feel the tyres is sliding on the road. ESPECIALLY IN WET!!!

Yeah the Turanzas are scary in the wet

Hey Dave what's this piece of a 1ZZ car that helps the 2ZZ car handle better? Maybe that's why I beat Micky :lol:

The sportivo was setup from the factory with more understeer than the normal rolla, I assume to remove the lift off oversteer effect.

...remember the SSS had multilink rear suspension, so a rear sway bar will not have much effect than corolla...

I'm not doubting the SSS info, but I can tell you the Sportivo has a lot of understeer and changing the rear anti-roll bar makes a big difference (stock is 19mm). The normal rolla already has a 21mm rear anti-roll bar so I don't really see the point in going 1 or 2mm larger as then the difference is not worth the money. But there is a difference between 19, 21 and 22mm rear anti-roll bars on the Sportivo. But at the end of the day it all boils down to how you want the car setup.

Edited by SuperDave