Funniest home videos

Leroy

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok folks, I was just trawling through these pages when i notice that one member on here managed to get themselves a spot on Funniest Home Videos by driving their car into a pond...'nuff said.

Anyhow, it reminded me that i think this show has sunk so far downhill in recent years - yet i still watch it every saturday!!! Its like the one highlight of my saturday is watching people fall over and hurt themselves! My g*d, my life is sad :P

The voice over guy is shocking...how he stays in business i dont know. The canned laughter is appalling...i thought the whole point of a studio audience was to provide real laughter!?!?! The script writing is terrible. In fact why would you pay money to be in that audience? I dont get it...they must be charging huge ticket prices to still afford all those big screen tv prizes and the like.

The worst part of the show, i believe, is the host. Sorry, but where the hell did Toni Pearen even come from? She even used to have a column in New Idea or something (why!!?!?!?!) Combined with the horrible voice overs etc, and generally ill suited outfits they give to her - her sincerity is also shocking. I can sorta imagine her in the ad breaks taking off behind the set for a quick smoke and a shot of tequila.

I am old enough to remember the days of Graeme Kennedy, Jackie McDonald, and JoBeth Taylor. What happened? So huge a decline, and yet ratings are still enough to keep this show on air...

Oh, and id just like to add a final note; whatever you may think of the current hostess (please take part in the otherwise useless poll :) ) - please note that every episode, without fail, she seems to find it impossible to stand with her legs together. :o

Stay cool,

Leroy

ummm.. the audience is there for free.

besides kennedy.. i cant think of any other host that was actually funny. kennedy didnt read the same crappy jokes that the other hosts had to read.

jackie mcdonald needed somewhere to go after leaving heyhey...

i watched when jo beth was host mostly coz she was hot which meant that i didnt care what she said at the time (dont hate me for saying that - i was like 11 or something when she was still the host?).

there were a few other people in between but i cant remember their names... but they were all kinda on par with toni pearin though... not too funny.. nothing spectacular to look at.

on foxtel you get to see all the US home video shows... one was hosted by dl hugley. pretty popular black comedian who had his own sitcom a few years back. even when he was hosting, he had to read off cue cards and the jokes were as bland as toni pearins.

its just the same corny formula that has been proven popular. the think that keeps people watching is the new videos and the not so bad prizes.

as for the voiceovers... i guess someone still finds them funny.. i guess it wouldnt be funniest home videos without it. on a positive note, they do occasionally let the original audio play instead of adding in the voiceovers if the audio was actually funny.

Started going down-hill big time after JoBeth started. These days it is just a pale shadow of what it used to be, with more and more non-local videos (usually American, and from 10-15 years ago) filling in the gaps. And they now have a band play at the end? What the hell?

I know my mother sent in video's a couple of times quite a few years back, and they only notified her that they were going to use a video 9 months ago.

So my guess is that they use free material that is stacked up in a warehouse somewhere collected for years. They only have to pay Toni and the crew and they get advertising time for quite a few big contenders in business. I'd say they make quite a decent profit.

And as for Toni, my first memory of her was a single she produced that drove my older sister crazy as well as her friends just annoyed me, never really changed my opinion.

Edited by Rosegum

I think it's just as much about the voice over guy. They had the same guy with Kennedy and whoever came after him and he was hilarious. I remember the last episode he was on, because the quality of "teh funney" went way downhill after that.

The hostess is pretty lousy but she obviously isn't in gainful emplyoment for her public speaking skills.

• 5 months later...

FINALLY!!!!

I mean no harm to Toni Pearen, she seems nice enough, but Funniest Home Vids has got a new host!!! She is a tall, leggy, blonde by the name of Shelly Craft (or Croft?? I didn't catch the credits properly...)

She actually doesn't do the job any better...shes just less of a ham when reading her lines...

More importantly, SHE CAN STAND WITH HER LEGS TOGETHER!!! :yahoo: A win for deportment schools across the country!!

Now....if only we can get Roy and HG, or someone equally as stupid, to do voice overs...

Edited by Leroy

She is a tall, leggy, blonde by the name of Shelly Craft (or Croft?? I didn't catch the credits properly...)

Shelley Craft is ex-The Great Outdoors, basically Channel 7's version of Catriona Rowntree.

• 1 month later...