steering vibration @ 130km/h

RL30WA

Hi guys,

Does anyone of you experience steering vibration @ 130km/h or more ? I have done tyre balancing, rotation and even alingment all together last month but the problem is still there. I even ask another person for second opinion and he said if the tyres are balanced properly and this shouldn't happen. It seems to be only happen @ the speed of 130km or more. i am sick of trying to find the right person to fix this problem. Your opinion is kindly appreciated.

:angry:

are you running the stock rims on the car or have you put after market rims on it ?

if you are running after market rims a common problem that occurs is the wheel doesnt sit 100% flush on the hub and so you need to get hub rings to fill the gap that is created.

if you are on the stock rims then .... hmmmmm interesting ...... any non-normal noises or just the vibrations ?

Ball joints and tie rods check em all, If they wear too much they allow the wheel to move side to side.

In your case 130Km/h is prolly when the wheel and joints hit resonant frequency and shake in a perfect sine wave swinging the tyre back and forth creating the noise you hear and the vibration in the steering wheel and chassis.

Edited by Rosegum

are you running the stock rims on the car or have you put after market rims on it ?

if you are running after market rims a common problem that occurs is the wheel doesnt sit 100% flush on the hub and so you need to get hub rings to fill the gap that is created.

if you are on the stock rims then .... hmmmmm interesting ...... any non-normal noises or just the vibrations ?

Man, everything is in stock condition. By the way, my car is 2005 face-lift corolla sportivo. I just don't know why :spiteful:

Ball joints and tie rods check em all, If they wear too much they allow the wheel to move side to side.

In your case 130Km/h is prolly when the wheel and joints hit resonant frequency and shake in a perfect sine wave swinging the tyre back and forth creating the noise you hear and the vibration in the steering wheel and chassis.

Everything seems normal when i drive below 120km/h. Even the steering starts to vibrate, i cant hear' funny noise' coming from any where. Wierd huh !!!!!!!

Everything seems normal when i drive below 120km/h. Even the steering starts to vibrate, i cant hear' funny noise' coming from any where. Wierd huh !!!!!!!

Wheel camber can affect handling if improperly set as the faster you go less of the tyre is on the ground due to the air pressure pushing down on the car compressing the suspension. With less surface area on the road the wheel is more susceptible to off balancing.

Though I think the car may have jumped a gutter with a previous owner or something similar. A lot of components work together to keep the wheel straight and anyone of them could cause a vibration if bent, mis-aligned or loose.

The car being fairly recent shouldn't have any major issues, but if it has been crashed and repaired the chassis may not be 100% straight either.

On top of that it's a stivo and it's not exactly a granny car so the original owner probably mis-treated it a little. I know i would.

I've got the problem on my car. everything is fine until ~130+. I was hoping a wheel balance would correct it. Hmmm :unsure:

are you sure they balanced it for those speeds. does anyone know what road speeds the wheel balancing machine simulates?

Edited by qkslvr

i had that as well with my stock rims..

it was when i just had my cai installed by oncy.

he was leading me to city.. from his place..

man.. i thought my steering wheel was coming off..

but after i got my new rims and tyres.. i didnt have that problem.. maybe it was on a straight? :unsure:

Edited by XploShun

Hi guys,

Does anyone of you experience steering vibration @ 130km/h or more ? I have done tyre balancing, rotation and even alingment all together last month but the problem is still there. I even ask another person for second opinion and he said if the tyres are balanced properly and this shouldn't happen. It seems to be only happen @ the speed of 130km or more. i am sick of trying to find the right person to fix this problem. Your opinion is kindly appreciated.

:angry:

Heaps of things to take into consideration here!

Was the wheel balancing and alignment done correctly, by a reputable person?

Hit any gutters or large potholes recently?

If you rims have any imperfections, balancing can only correct these to an extent, there can still be imperfections.

I once bent a rim on a previous car via a pothole and found that when I changed my tyres shortly after, I could only put it on the back due to it being rough even after a re-balance. If it was on the front you could still feel the slight twitch through the steering wheel.

once I managed to find a new rim I got rid of the other completely.

As others have said theres other steering components, none of which should be worn being an 05 model, but if you've hit something these parts could definately be affected. This could also be something as simple as going over a speed hump or even a dip too fast.

Hope this helps a little.

Is this even an issue worth really investigating lol? As someone said before, how often do you drive at 130+km/h?

when ever the donuts are runnin low on supply around the house and i NEED to get to Krispy Kreme :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got the problem on my car. everything is fine until ~130+. I was hoping a wheel balance would correct it. Hmmm :unsure:

are you sure they balanced it for those speeds. does anyone know what road speeds the wheel balancing machine simulates?

I just balanced all my wheels this morning. I did ask this question to the guy and he said once the wheels are all balanced then the vibration should not happen regarless what speed you are driving

Wheel camber can affect handling if improperly set as the faster you go less of the tyre is on the ground due to the air pressure pushing down on the car compressing the suspension. With less surface area on the road the wheel is more susceptible to off balancing.

Though I think the car may have jumped a gutter with a previous owner or something similar. A lot of components work together to keep the wheel straight and anyone of them could cause a vibration if bent, mis-aligned or loose.

The car being fairly recent shouldn't have any major issues, but if it has been crashed and repaired the chassis may not be 100% straight either.

On top of that it's a stivo and it's not exactly a granny car so the original owner probably mis-treated it a little. I know i would.

Sounds like serious problem according to your explanation. Be honest, this car i had it since brand new and i never mis-treated the car in anyway or anyhow. All i know is i have spend lots of time to fine tune everthing to my "standard". I guess sometimes we just can't to have perfect car that has no problem at all.

nah dude. I don't know where you get your info from. but the only thing that will cause a vibration when the car is moving is from any of the unsprung moving parts. i.e drive shaft, wheel bearings, damaged knuckle, wheel hub, brake rotor, and wheel. other than that, you won't get a vibration from a wheel not pointing straight.

With less surface area on the road the wheel is more susceptible to off balancing

Not true. Please explain.