sportivo vs commodore

Guest delete

This sounds completly false.....I used to own a VS berlina and honestly I don't ever see a corrolla pulling away much from a VS maybe the first 100-200m but then its over unless the guy driving the VS is either a crappy driver or too chicken to go balls to the wall.

The VS I had was supercharged but even the ones I've driven stock standard they are powerful for a "family " car but they can't handle for crap.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dong-soo

its true. heavy weight cars always have a handling disadvantage. there is MANY reasons, i will not explain tho.... im BZ with ma stuff ok.

i dont think peeps buy commodore for handling tho lol. ^__^ keke.

i just wanna see what is more advantage for smallcar like sportivo etc. rolling start or da 0-100

Chopin and Nogusta, you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Sure the 1zz rolla is on par with the v6 commos/falcons in a standing race. I have seen plenty of times at the drags where it is even between the 2. The times prove it also, and the 2zz is faster than a 1zz. There is no argument from me about how much better a v8 equiped car is, but it should be considering it has double the cylinders and up to 3 times the capacity. I think you guys are confusing the feeling that torque gives in acceleration. Me and my brothers Clio pull very similar 0-100 times, but his feels faster due it having a broader and more usable torque curve.

Edited by SuperDave

Believe it or not, torque is what you feel when your car is accelerating.....

My dads auto CRV feels faster then the sportivo....lol

If your talking about the efficiency of engines in terms of BMP then I can tell you that the S2000 is pretty much first, and believe it or not the 2zzge is around 3rd....just a bit infront of the M3 engine.

Sometimes I wonder, why don't they make a 3L V6 with variable 'lift'. I know that the NSX is one of them, but I'm pretty sure they could produce more then the so called 206kw restriction.

The sportivo does not feel fast at all because of the fact that it doesn't possess alot of torque, but before you know it your well past speed limit. I still find it frightening that once your in lift, the car pulls so much harder, exspecially once you get to 100km/h +

don't even get me started on the EA falcons (I used to own one) with their "live axel", leaf spring rear end

Unless it was a wagon, EAs had coil-sprung rear ends. It was still a live axle, but without the cart springs

Give this man a beer! :rolleyes:

1. Motor magazine is ****. They honestly can't drive. Standard quarter mile time for the corolla sportivo recorded by motor was 16.1 all the standard cars on this site do mid 15's

Horsepower wins buyers, torque wins races.

my mates got a charged VS and 1st on pull off its even stevens until lift kicks in then if you shift well into 2nd and get lift early its overs the stivo takes it provided you hit lift at the right times.

cos the torque of the VS will punish if you dont drive the stivo properly

1. Motor magazine is ****. They honestly can't drive. Standard quarter mile time for the corolla sportivo recorded by motor was 16.1 all the standard cars on this site do mid 15's

Horsepower wins buyers, torque wins races.

You'll also notice they do their tests with 2 people in the car, plus a full tank of fuel. That adds an extra 100kg or so to the mass of the car, which equals about 10%. So seeing an increase of roughly half a second isn't at all surprising

Guest dong-soo

yah concervative figures from motor because you may see a dumbazz guy who has 3 passengers in his car and wonders why his type R can only do 7.7

Edited by dong-soo

It may sound like I am defending Motor Mag here, but I think they might also do more realistic launches. Most car companies when doing the 0-100kph, 1/4 mile times do such aggressive launches that no one in their right mind would do to a car they paid money for.

ok guys, befroe I say anyfurther. I have switched from honda to toyota. I have to say the new toyota is very refined and super quite. its quiter than new merce E200 for the money you paid for the corolla. I am very impressed. I used to drive honda civic with b18c, and had nevr lost a race with v6(commodore) up to 120km/h...thats enough. The v6 are quicker 0-40 due to its design and torque.

Would you say, its to do with the driver???

Please dnt get confused between the "in gear accleration" vs standing start. Now I am talking about time measured by the same driver----professional or a good driver.

0-100, sportiva will win, but when in the traffic, doing "in gear accleration" means eg drop down a gear or so while you are doing a constant speed eg 50 or 100.. The V6 is a quicker car. Why?, its their torque to weight ratio. Sometimes we overlooked the power/weight ratio and ignored the torque/weight ratio.

Turbo cars have both of the world.

I have to say, the latest honda type r is very dissapointing, because they now focused on internal refinement and ride quality..their fore more weight is gained. If you want a quick na, the old 2000-2003 model is a quick and noisy car. 0-100(6.6 sec).

Ok, have your say see if you agree with me or not. higher torque cars are easier to cruse around WITHOUT dropping a gear down. Therifore can pull the weight more..

Edited by chopin

I think they got the new Type R to pull a staggering 7.7s 0-100 time with a 1/4 mile time of about high 15's if I remember correctly. While Honda say a 6.6s sprint to 100kph.

its a bit hard to believe the new civic r can do 6.6

the old typr r(integra) is a fater car, the new civic typre r is just for looks....

i used to own a stock vs v6 auto, and that would do 0 - 100 in 8secs give or take a few hundreds and id say the sportivo would be very close to that.

which is awesome considering the vs is about 250kgs heavier and has double the engine capacity.

standing start id say the vs would start out stronger but the sportivo would claw its way back and possibly win (depends on drivers).

rolling start id say it would depend on what speed etc, and if its in the right power range for the sportivo.

so in saying that id say the commodore with its superior torque would win.

note- they're only thoughts, not fact.

if you want to see a faster car then

*race rolling start

if you want to see a better driver

*race off the mark

or if you really want to see which car is faster and which driver is better, go to the racetrack.

Straight line racing proves nothing when it comes to skill

Who says straight line doesn't prove anything, launching (in this case 1-2 lift as well) is very important when it comes to the 1/4 mile drag.....what it doesn't prove is your skills on the circuit.

If a rolling start then the sportivo would have the advantage.....

But honestly how can you compare the two.....

Sportivo Vs SS commodore lol

SV6 has no chance as well

I cannot believe this thread is still going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having driven both cars in stock and modded form the Sportivo will win eventually... maybe not over the first 50m but a race isn't won in the 1st 50 it's won when you cross the line in front of the other bloke.

Far too many variances and the difference in the skill of the driver weighs far too much.

So a sportivo gives the Commodore @ 400kg more weight. BUT they also get 2L more engine capacity and rear wheel drive.....

Sounds pretty fair to me..........

Who says straight line doesn't prove anything, launching (in this case 1-2 lift as well) is very important when it comes to the 1/4 mile drag.....what it doesn't prove is your skills on the circuit.

launching ok yes thats true... but gear shifting? dam its gonna be the next olympic sport the way people on here go on about it!!! its really not that hard to change gears, i dont see why people go on and on like it is the b all and end all of racing.