New '07 Levin ZR - What to do?

Okay folks, my brand spankin new Levin ZR is due for delivery between now and Friday! And I'm quite excited.

(First time new car buyer, so yeah :P)

Anyhow, I know this will probably be in the cars manual somewhere but...

How should it be treated upon first couple hundred kilometers?

I've heard mixed stories from friends saying you should Baby the engine for the first few hundred k's, don't wind it right up to redline etc.

But I've also heard that you should for something to do with the cars computer adjusting the fuel mixtures to the way you drive etc.

To be honest I'd rather ask the professionals. (you guys!) And get a straight answer. :)

Help a newbie Corolla owner out!

besides breaking in the engine, the tyres and brakes are brand spanking new. give them a chance to grain/wear-in before you give the car some "stick"

don't worry about the car "learning" at the begining, just worry about proper break-in. a properly brocken-in engine will last longer and make factory HP for longer than a thrashed engine. You can always reset your ECU later. Also, the car will continuely make small adjustments as you drive to compensate for driving style and environment anyway.

Have fun with the car when you get it. And Welcome :toast:

Hey dude, Congrat on your ZR.. its great car

I just passed 1000KM with mine Levin SX this morning.

During the period, i just drive normally, which is smooth driving, didnt really get pass 3000rpm....i'll say baby it for the 300km as said on the manual, since i think things are new ...i' read somewhere to rev it constantly but keep it below 3000rpm....thats what i try to do, after 500km, you can try to push the engine abit but i only did it for few seconds during highways just to let it open up to the upper range

Thanks a bunch folks for all ya replies! At least I've got some idea of how to treat my new baby now. :D

I can't wait, keep waiting for the dealer to ring with the magic words of, "The car is ready and you can pick it up..." lol :D

Thanks a bunch folks for all ya replies! At least I've got some idea of how to treat my new baby now. :D

I can't wait, keep waiting for the dealer to ring with the magic words of, "The car is ready and you can pick it up..." lol :D

You're in my situation about a month ago..its so exciting. and enjoy the smell of the new corolla too..hehe

dont worry about breaking in the engine

the blokes loading/unloading your car in the wharf had already thrashed the engine.

As far as i know and what i have seen in some car loading video. They looks to be not even over 40km/h. But anyway, i think its true that the manufacturer has done most of the braking in themself when manufactuering already.

the blokes loading/unloading your car in the wharf had already thrashed the engine.

As far as i know and what i have seen in some car loading video. They looks to be not even over 40km/h. But anyway, i think its true that the manufacturer has done most of the braking in themself when manufactuering already.

most brand new cars have 80Km or less on them - i don't know how you can break-in an engine in less than 80km's. Unless you mean they run the engine in before it goes in the car. I thought they only start up the engine at idle speed as part of the QC process (birthing).

When did you guys get your Corollas?

My family got ours one month after launch, and it's somewhere about 5300 now.

Then again, we DO need to cover 15000km a year to have better tax deductions.

I ordered mine 3 days after they came out and got it a week later :) I was so Happy!

I've done 9200 K's

Edited by The Hammer

most brand new cars have 80Km or less on them - i don't know how you can break-in an engine in less than 80km's. Unless you mean they run the engine in before it goes in the car. I thought they only start up the engine at idle speed as part of the QC process (birthing).

yeh, before they go to the car...plus the kms can be resetted....0km means out the door nto the actual start life of engine

Thanks for the replies everyone, a bit of a mixed bunch although I think the general consensus is just drive it normally, but dont go hammer and tongs all over the place with the rev range. :P

My mum goes to me, "You know I'm driving it."

I instantly said that the guys at the Toyota Owners Club Australia say you're not allowed to, she laughed. But she's a bit of a leadfoot anyway heh So she knows how to care for the car in a way.

Dad on the other hand, let's not go there.

Once again thanks for all the help and I'll def post some piccies when I get it on Friday at 5pm! :D

Hey enjoy your new corolla. I have the Conquest model and have done around 4500. Opened it up around the back roads the other day 160kmh at 4400 revs. :yahoo:

Very stable and smooth.

Edited by danield

Hey enjoy your new corolla. I have the Conquest model and have done around 4500. Opened it up around the back roads the other day 160kmh at 4400 revs. :yahoo:

Very stable and smooth.

I m quite happy with the new rolla too. smooth cornering, except for the hard suspension. You can feel every bump and on bad roads, its a pain in the ****.

I m quite happy with the new rolla too. smooth cornering, except for the hard suspension. You can feel every bump and on bad roads, its a pain in the ****.

Well I'm kinda glad the suspension's a bit hard...

It's gotta be better than my roly poly boat like ford EB falcon suspension...

thank you trade in! lol (although i was lucky to get 500 smackers for the old bugger. lol)

NOT LONG TO GO!!

I have the sedan and according to some publications, its suspension is tuned softer, because of its more conservative market. I have no idea whether or not this is true, since I've never driven the hatch model. All I know is that it has harder suspension than our fifth Generation Toyota Camry V6.

IT'S HERE!!! :D

And I love it! :D:D:D:D:D

car-01.jpg

They had a small issue with the tyres for those rims, tyre place got the wrong size in but in a last state of miracle-ness, they managed to get a new set couriered over today, and now I am really happy :D

it feels very stiff on the road but i like it....

so much i wanna say but meh, you've all prolly heard it all before!

Are you guys serious when you say the car ride is harsh and stiff. These cars suspension are tuned for road use so have comfort in mind, in comparison to a BMW maybe the ride is harsher, but that is due to the price differences.