LETTER OF COMPLIANCE

doobs1

Hi all

don't know if anyone has any idea's to assist me here, i've been banging my head on a brick wall for a bit. My father passed away a few weeks ago (he lived in Auckland with mum) and has left us his car - toyota 4WD hilux surf - I live in Brisbane and he used to come over and camp with us and we used to take him out in our cruiser so i think he always wanted to get his car onto the beach..

anyway i havent' owned the car for 12 months as it was my dad's, so i can't do the personal import option. Dotars have said i need a "letter of compliance" from the manufacturer. I tried to email toyota Australia and they said i should contact a local dealer for a manual.. i don't need a manual, and when i explained this to them it's now gone quiet.. ! I called a local dealer anyway and they said they don't do letters of compliance.

any idea's on whom or where i can get hold of one of these much appreciated..

the car was a JP import into NZ. it's not flash (93 manufacture) but only 100K on the clock and in good nick, but there's the sentimental side. I'm in shipping so getting it freighted over here isn't too much of a drama for me, i just need to get the old permit side of things!!

cheers

Sorry for your loss :(

NZ has little or no restrictions on car imports as their government has no local producers to protect. It's much tougher to get a car into Aus compared to NZ. Can the vehicle be complied? I'd say yes as I've seen plenty around. I'm not sure what the Hilux/Surfs needed to be complied but with other imports it's things like side indicators, side intrusion bars and seatbelts. Under the new (it's a few years old now) legislation all these things have to be performaed by a Registered Automotive Workshop who are certified by DOTARS to import, comply and sell these cars... I'm not sure what the rules are with personal imports or the 15 year rule, the only info I have is from when I used to read HPi magazine and they used to gripe about the rules..

Rollamods is your man with the knowledge on this one