Jap navigation System

Runxman

I have imported a Toyota Runx Z from Japan that has a factory (Panasonic NHDN-W56) Nav system installed. It has Japanese onscreen display and Japanese navgation map installed. Can I load another CD/DVD or convert it to display English and New Zealand nav maps?. I have tried to comunicate with Panasonic Japan and Toyota Japan but have had no replies. Maybe no one there speaks English. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Cheers Phil.

From a quick search, that headunit looks hektik for a factory unit. SDD, DVD, HDD, GPS, holy crap.

I think you might need to update the firmware of the headunit itself to an english language firmware, if there is one available.

I'd be interested to know if you find anything. Let us know if you do :)

Toyota sell the Sat Nav Discs with maps provided by Where Is...

Should be no problem loading a new English Disc into the system :) :) :) ...

they don't have whereis in NZ.

---------------

as one guy said, the best to do is go down to your local toyota dealer and ask them to get the firmware updated to English. or you better start learning Japanese :P

Thanks for the replys. I have been to the local New Zealand Toyota Dealers but get the standard reply " no, it can not be done". ( its out of the ordinary and they would rather sell you a new GPS system) I don't like that attitude and always believe that there always is away arround such problems... you just have to persevere and keep asking. It hacks me off that I can not make contact with Toyota Japan, or should I say get a reply from them. Does anyone know a parts store in Japan that will deal with overseas customers. If I can find someone in the motor trade who understands English I may be able to make some progress. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Runxman

• 13 years later...

These Toyota dealers are HOLY CRAP.......... I have been on the same experience. we bought Toyota from japan and it came with Panasonic Nhdn-W56 with GPS map in JAPANESE language. we even tried to use phone to translate the Language TO ENGLISH  until no vail. the only option left is to USE SOFTWARE UPGRADE to change the language to English. the CD is not available in any online stores, Dealers are not responding either. Toyota Garage said the ONLY way out is to change the WHOLE UNIT set.

Sounds like a nightmare yes, I am sure that is the best option to once and for all solve the issue. There are many great head units out there for a decent price so that would be my suggestions save for a good quality head unit.

KAA

On 4/4/2021 at 8:49 PM, SirReal said:

These Toyota dealers are HOLY CRAP.......... I have been on the same experience. we bought Toyota from japan and it came with Panasonic Nhdn-W56 with GPS map in JAPANESE language. we even tried to use phone to translate the Language TO ENGLISH  until no vail. the only option left is to USE SOFTWARE UPGRADE to change the language to English. the CD is not available in any online stores, Dealers are not responding either. Toyota Garage said the ONLY way out is to change the WHOLE UNIT set.

Take it out, place in the bin and buy a universal head unit that is comprehendible. Dealers can be as useful as tits on a bull, so I wouldn't even bother. There are plenty of high quality aftermarket units to choose from.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I'm dealing with the same issue but with a 05 RunX I imported. It's a factory head unit with a DVD that saysA23 86271-52043B.

Any clue if this can be upgraded to English and what DVD may be needed?  I found U30 86271-****** DVD's on ebay. may one of those work?