1996 paseo engine conversion

jaury

hey . guys. i am jay. i got a 1996 paseo . it is auto. i want more horsepower in it.i want to put in that 4AGE silver top in. any mechanic shop can do that? and how much money it will costs? i live in sydney. :help:

You're better off going for a 4EFTE out of the GT Starlets...

It's a much easier conversion and you'll have more power due to the 4EFTE being a turbo engine... Much more potential for horsepower gains...

Not any mechanic shop can do it, try calling around some performance engine workshops and see what they say...

Get a few quotes and decide on what you wanna do...

but. i want it more horsepower. i have been looking for it like 1year..... <_< i want it done. if i do 4EFTE . how much it costs? :idea:

your asking the wrong question here. you need to ring around mechanical workshops and talk to them. get a few quotes from different places. you tell us how much you wanna spend and well let you know if there is any chance that you will be able to do it.

I'd probably get a Starlet GT front cut, that way you can drop in the manual transmission and ECU while your at the engine swap. Just make sure you use an EP91/92 starlet if your state doesn't allow older engines to put into you car.

You can usualy get a Starlet GT front/half cut for around 3000-5000 depending on where you get it from.

Personally i'd look at getting a new car cause after labour and anything that goes wrong it's going to cost around 8000-10000 for the whole install. Also the Paseo's suspension isn't the best (understeer = :wacko: ) so your going to need to spend money there...maybe even do the breaks while your at it.

Edited by Seanious

cost of car + the engine conversion = worth it?? unless your gonna keep the car forever <_<

also it will prob be better to sell the car and get something that has more ommppphhh....

Yea exactly, I looked at the cost of upgraded my Paseo, was going to turbo the stock 5EFE - was quoted about $10'000 for a full custom job by WTF Auto (included exhaust, front mount intercooler, aftermarket ECU, dyno tuning, turbo and a possible enginge rebuild, custom piping, fuel pump and oil return).

So in the end I traded it in for a Corolla Sportivo, and I have never looked back :) . Even though the Stivo cost more then bombing out the Paseo it still had the same power as I could imagine getting out of the Paseo (~100kw atw), handles better, looks nicer and of course its got leather B)

However if you really want to do it go for it, it just depends on how much you love your car!

i called sssautomotive. they saying they selling 20v silver top for 1800 and include everything. also they told me one guy have been done the same thing before. i still contacting with this guy. i really like the style of paseo.... so that why i really want to put in more horsepower in! <_<

i called sssautomotive. they saying they selling 20v silver top for 1800 and include everything. also they told me one guy have been done the same thing before. i still contacting with this guy. i really like the style of paseo.... so that why i really want to put in more horsepower in! <_<

Great! I look forward to see what you come up with. From what I remeber the Silvertop requires you to make custom engine mounts and theres a few other bits you need to change. Its not as easy as the 4EFTE - anyways good luck and post us pics when you do it!

Wasn't there a performance version of the Paseo in Japan?

Yeah the Cynos, had a 5E-FHE with a higher compression ratio and slightly stronger internals (i think). Not much of an improvement really, Silvertop is still better :)