Oil change

Rony10

Firstly, i am new here so hi to all , I am going to change the oil in my mums Camry [ 1989 -90 ] 4 cyl, i am used to working on my car but it's different make.

When changing the oil filter on Camry's, do you guys put any oil in the new filter before screwing in back in ?, looks nice and easy to get to but just wondering about that.

Thanks for any help.

Rony

No no need to fill the filter with oil, Toyota's have a priming pump that fills the filter up for you. Always a good idea to lube the o-ring up however.

Edited by T_Money

Thanks guys, i know about making sure none of the old gasket is left and making sure its nice and clean before putting a new one on, but different answers to oiling up is a bit confusing, the angle of which it screws back in [ nearly vertical ] doesn't really allow much pre oiling before replacing as you would loose it as you screw back in the new filter.

I don't buy those crap cheap no name filters, but a reputable name one should be ok, shouldn't it ? i mean, i wouldn't have to go to a Toyota dealer for one, should i ? sorry for all the questions, but i want to do a good job, as the local mechanic is getting very expensive for my mum as she is a pensioner, its hard for her, so i am trying to help her on the easy stuff.

many thanks,

No no need to fill the filter with oil, Toyota's have a priming pump that fills the filter up for you. Always a good idea to lube the o-ring up however.

Mate it should be alright if you just put a little bit of oil on the seal and screw the new filter on. I have done that with my Camry of the same vintage and it turned out just fine.

Just fill sump with new oil as required and when you run the engine to check for leaks etc. the filter with fill all by itself. You may need to add a bit more oil to make up what goes into the filter, the amount will depend on filter size.