Can the Rav4 go on the beach

darrens

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new Rav4 and was wondering if anyone has taken it to the beach, if so how did it manage.. how much air did you let out the tires etc..

Sorry if it seems I am asking stupid questions but I am new to soft 4X4.

Thanks

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new Rav4 and was wondering if anyone has taken it to the beach, if so how did it manage.. how much air did you let out the tires etc..

Thanks

Yes they can go on the beach but remember your ground clearance is quite limited compared to say a Hilux, Landcruiser etc.

As far as tyre pressures go drop them to about 17-22psi as a guide. Softer sand may require slightly less pressures but most tyres fitted to a RAV wont like running at these pressures for long. So carry a portable air compressor and pump them up once your through a soft area.

General driving on the beach should be relatively straight forward. But try to do it at low tide. High tide will be harder especially when you are higher on the beach in the softer stuff and minimual ground clearance. Most tracks so long as they dont have really high centres should be ok but be prepared to drag your guts in a some spots as things like the exhaust and some plastic shrouds do hang a bit low.

Good luck and post up saome pics when you get out on the beach.

cheers SB

Hi All,

Thanks

Yes they can go on the beach but remember your ground clearance is quite limited compared to say a Hilux, Landcruiser etc.

As far as tyre pressures go drop them to about 17-22psi as a guide. Softer sand may require slightly less pressures but most tyres fitted to a RAV wont like running at these pressures for long. So carry a portable air compressor and pump them up once your through a soft area.

General driving on the beach should be relatively straight forward. But try to do it at low tide. High tide will be harder especially when you are higher on the beach in the softer stuff and minimual ground clearance. Most tracks so long as they dont have really high centres should be ok but be prepared to drag your guts in a some spots as things like the exhaust and some plastic shrouds do hang a bit low.

Good luck and post up saome pics when you get out on the beach.

cheers SB

Hi SB,

Thanks for the info.. I will post some pics.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

as with all sand driving the most important thing as previously mentioned is tyre pressure, the second most is momentum!!, if yuo slow down too much you will get stuck as i have had extensive experience driving in sand and desert regions within some of the worlds most terrible deserts! and the 2 biggest reasons we have got stuck is because of tyre pressures and momentum ;)

Hi everyone I am new here just joined in fact and I have recently purchased a 1996 model RAV4 Cruiser five door and have been invited to an up coming fishing trip along Stockto Beach. I have heard mixed reviews about RAVs off road and on the beach and while I understand they are not like the larger 4wd I am wondering if anyone has had much experience with them on beach conditions? About the only time it will be in the softer sand is when we leave the hard sand to park at the camp site.

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I am in the same situation. I have been driving my Rav4 2007 model for the past 3 years and wish to join friends for a fishing day on the beach. I am no expert by believe the new Rav's drive train through their front wheels and if you stuck I can engage the diff-lock which is hydraulic connected. It will stay engaged up to 40km/h from where it disengages.

I am uncertain what all this techno info mean and how it will work on sand. Does anyone have any experience to share or advice? I fitted some Cooper tyres which appear to be reasonable off road tyres.

I saw numerous demonstrations on U-Tube with Rav4's on sand but I am uncertain whether they have permanent 4WD capability.

Thanks

H

Edited by dreamer

Rav4 at least the current generation has a on demand 4WD system either engages automatically when it detects lost of traction or manually underneath the steering column which manually engages 4WD mode up to 40km/hr...

not too sure on the previous generation Rav4 though... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've used my RAV on the beach a bit and also on sand dunes. Tyre pressure and momentum are the key things as it has been mentioned before. The 4WD system that can be manually activated does stay on til 40 km/h and that in the sand on the beach or on sand dunes seems to be pretty fast. So as long as your tyre pressure is about 20 psi, I do not think it'll be a problem.

Just make sure when you finally decide to stop, that you stop on moderately hard sand, otherwise going is going to be an issue.

Another point to note is that if you do get slightly stuck, don't the slam on the accelarator and dig your self in the sand so that you bottom out. If going forward is an issue, try putting it into reverse and most of the times it seems to back out and you can continue with your fun in the sand.