gearbox/fuel theory

When receiving my rolla back from toyota the other week i noticed the box felt slightly smoother and cleaner.

I immediatly called the dealer and asked what they ahd done. To my shock he said "We didnt do anything!?" I wasa bit miffed when he said this and asked him why the car felt better.

Anyway I slept on it and then it came to me. The 'ONLY' thing (if he is true to his word) that was different........was the fuel! As the dealership is directly across the road from a Shell (Optimax) and I use BP (Ulitmate)

So over the past couple of weeks I have been using Shell instead of BP........and low and behold the box has shown some signs of improvement. Now this is by NO MEANS a fix and be all and end all.

But I would be intrested to see if anyone else here with similar issues to myself, and is running BP Ultimate to switch to Optimax for a couple of weeks (at least 2-3 tank fulls) and let me know what you think. (have you tried this yet Bill???)

I raved on about this ages ago after i filled up one time with a bad batch of Optimax....the car ran crap couldnt change gears etc.....i came up with the conclusion that the gearbox is very sensitive in relation to engine..if the engine runs smooth so does the box, so the box itself might not be the only issue here.

I've experienced the complete opposite...LOL

I use to run Optimax for almost a year now. I now use BP Ultimate and I'm still having gearbox issues. I feel that Ultimate runs smoother and I will be sticking with Ultimate as the gears feel a bit smoother but still jams.

I think there's not much difference and it plays a pyschological effect on our minds.

My box has 'issues' with both Optimax and Ultimate, so I'm still convinced it's the clutch... But now Ultimate is becoming more available with the phase out of LRP, a few more BP's here now have Ultimate available... :D :D :D

My box has 'issues' with both Optimax and Ultimate, so I'm still convinced it's the clutch... But now Ultimate is becoming more available with the phase out of LRP, a few more BP's here now have Ultimate available...  :D  :D  :D

Yeh, i am using more of Ultimate too because they advertise their fuel better :P

p.s i recently was told to boycot BP and MOBIL fuels because thery are the 2 biggest petroleum companies and if we all buy fuel from other companies they will be forced to cut prices due to more competetion. Don't blast me for this, this was someone else's suggestion but i honestly feel that we should do without fuel in the future. Lets all welcome Hydrgen Fuel Cell and Electric powered cars! :D

Even though it is not a monopoly, we are starved for choice in Fuels over here, look at Europe and Asia where there can be anywhere between 6-10 different companies to choose from. The same goes for the US but the fuel there is c**p anyway.

But these day's I'm walking and cycling much more, and only filling the car up every 4-6 weeks regularly and topping up for cruises and tours occasionally. I agree with your sentiments though Zee, we should be looking at alternative energy, the oil will not last forever, and is not econonical (yet) to synthesize, but one day it will be sold at a premium price (it's still cheaper then bottled water people!!!!!) and who know's what will go on then...

i find depending where ya go ultimate is cheaper than other premiums and my car runs so much better on it.

i dont belive that the gearbox has anything to do with the fuel ya use.

ive noticed that evrytime i take my car to the dealer somthing is different when i get it back.some are good things some are bad.

who knows what the toyota mechanics get upto in our pride and joys. :D

when i got it back yesturday the gears were smooth but the steering seemed heavier and had a little vibration in it.

then again i had drivin a lancer for over 24 hours so who knows.

probably just my mind playing games lol :P

FROM SHELL.

Shell Optimax out of stock.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, Shell is currently unable to supply Shell Optimax to all sites in NSW, ACT and Vic.

We aim to be back in stock from the 24th of November in Victoria and 27th of November in NSW and ACT.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

For more information please call 1300 134 555.

- hope all you Optimax users can get by till its back in supply.

As I said it didnt FIX the issue but did make the throw of the arm feel different. and getting it into 2/3 at high RPM is slightly better.

This could be that the lubrication additives that they use stop a certain amount of engine vibration ???? who knows...........

It works for me and I'll stick to it now.

Each to their own. If you dont agree, dont do it. If you think im full of cr@p, dont do it.

But this is a community...we SHARE information :D

Edited by Danthuyer

It maybe the fact that you modified the front of your car on a wall that makes it feel smoother. A rough technique I admit Craig but if it works for you and your gearbox then possibly go and hit a bigger wall and see if it elimates gearbox trouble all together! :P :P :P

On a serious note though my car does run better on optimax over ultimate and optimax is more readily available to where I live. As for making the gearbox change better can't comment on that one as I have no dramas with my box as i have a great additive that has probably gone a long way to solve any problem I might've had. :D