I'm getting one...

aardvark

Hi all,

New here and thought I'd pipe up and see if I could get some advice from the new model Kluger owners.

The wife and I have decided that the Forester is too small, and after looking around (at Territory's, Odyssey's etc), we decided that we really like the Kluger. I don't like it enough to buy a Grande tho! :)

On Thursday we are going to look at an ex-demo KXR 7 seater in silver, with the optional parking sensors and 8,000 kays on the clock.

So, can any one here with a new shape Kluger with a few kays on the clock offer some advice about any problems that have shown themselves so far?

The current asking price on the vehicle is $39,990 inlcuding rego, but not stamp duty. This will be the most expensive car I've ever purchased. What's a realistic opening offer?

Thanks!

Jason

Edited by aardvark

Hi Jason,

Welcome and hope you decide on the right car for you.

The Kluger seems to be pretty good, smooth, quiet, powerful and drives quite good. I dont know if theres many out there with a lot of km's, not enough to show any problems anyway....

We only have about 7000km on ours and no problems or gripes at the moment. Theres a couple of silly odd things like some odd menus, and odd ways of doing some things, probably more to do with the grande though.

All in all were pretty happy with hours and Im sure also many other owners out there.

Price wise not to sure on the KX-R but comparing on percentages Id be hoping for atleast 10% discount on the RRP for a new one on the road so Id say you should pay even less for an ex-demo.

Cheers

Thanks guys... I forgot to mention that it's FWD. The Forester is AWD and that rarely goes off the bitumen as it is.

Good luck with your final choice, I currently own both cars both the high spec models both great cars I would buy both again, prefer to drive the Subaru because it would out perform the Kluger any day any location on the Bitumen. Off road capabilities would be a different story.

I recommend you take one for a very spirited test drive to see if you are totally happy! If your happy offer them $35k with all the extras you want they can only say no dont let them Give you the price tell them the cars already depreciating like a rocket and the warranty and car is 8000kms old now! Good luck hope it helps, remember to ask them for a full tank of fuel before you sign your life away.... :spiteful: :)

prefer to drive the Subaru because it would out perform the Kluger any day any location on the Bitumen.

I've only got the lethargic 2.0l 1999 automatic model.

If your happy offer them $35k with all the extras you want

I'll give that a shot, after all, Redbook is already offering next to nothing:

Trade in price guide* $29,000 - $31,700

National average price - private sale* $34,200 - $37,300

Off to look at the car today. Going to see if can borrow it over night.

Interestingly, I spoke with another dealer who offered me a brand new Kluger, in any colour I want, for $41,500 drive away!!!

That should allow me some negotiating room. If I cant the demo for $38K, I might buy new.

No probs yet with all the ones we've sold. 38K for a 7 seater demo KX-R 2WD with parkassist isn't too bad, new on the road is about 45K. You might be able to pull 'em down a little more considering the kms.

Edited by pinzvidz

Well, just got the beast home. The power this thing delivers, compared to the Forester is awesome! The way it delivers it, not as good as it could be.

Other than that, my only grip at the moment is that there are no child restraint anchor points for the 3rd row seats.

Anyone know if you could have them fitted?

Well, just thought I'd post an update.

Have done 100 kays in it today. Just did normal things. Went to the in-laws (not that going there is ever normal!), went shopping (with my wife, our son, my sister-in-law and her daughter), cruised around, and I have to say, this car is awesome!

Gripes:

The middle seat in the second row could certainly be bigger

Needs to have child restraint anchor points for the third row

Could do with another 10mm or so of space behind on the 3rd row

Traction control doesn't seem to work quite as well as it should

On the plus side:

Only used 10.3l for the first 100. Was actually around 9.4 until I went flogging around in it with my brother-in-law. Had some shmuck in a Territory try and give me a run at the lights - was in an 80 zone and I only gave it the berries up until 80 (don't like paying speeding fines), but he got the shock of his life!

The power!

Great turning circule for a car this size

Airconditioning works a treat in all seating positions

More room than it first seems in 3rd row seats

The power!

Can never have too many cup holders - apparently! :blink:

Removable and stowable middle seat

Reversing camera

This car has 9,100 kays on it at the moment. The siny plastics around the centre console are slightly scratched and it isn't as clean as it should be. It also only has rego until the end of this month. To me, this is used car territory, not demonstrator territory. The $39,990 asking price is a bit rich in my mind. I think I'd be happy with $38,000, plus a tow bar and a full tank of juice.

On the other hand, I've had 2 dealers ring me and offer me a new one - One at $41,500 driveaway, the other at $42,000 driveaway.

One of those dealers also tells me that he has a white 7 seater, with rear parking sensors and with 900kays on the clock which he'll let go for $40,650 driveaway.

Whether this is one of their standard tactics, where you rock up, tell them you'll take it, only to be told that they've made a mistake, the manager says they can't do it at that price and that they need another grand or two? Or if he really has a demo at that price?

So the options really are:

KXR, 7 seater, FWD, 9100 kays, currently advertised for $39,990 - hopefully expect to pick up for around $38,000 with a towbar; or:

KXR, 7 seater, FWD, 900 kays, asking $40650 - maybe negotiate to around $40,000

Worth paying the extra 2 grand to knock off 8500 kays?

It's almost enough to do your head in! :)

So what about the traction control - what are the problems?

Worried about all these safety electoronics problems...

Well, just thought I'd post an update.

Have done 100 kays in it today. Just did normal things. Went to the in-laws (not that going there is ever normal!), went shopping (with my wife, our son, my sister-in-law and her daughter), cruised around, and I have to say, this car is awesome!

Gripes:

The middle seat in the second row could certainly be bigger

Needs to have child restraint anchor points for the third row

Could do with another 10mm or so of space behind on the 3rd row

Traction control doesn't seem to work quite as well as it should

On the plus side:

Only used 10.3l for the first 100. Was actually around 9.4 until I went flogging around in it with my brother-in-law. Had some shmuck in a Territory try and give me a run at the lights - was in an 80 zone and I only gave it the berries up until 80 (don't like paying speeding fines), but he got the shock of his life!

The power!

Great turning circule for a car this size

Airconditioning works a treat in all seating positions

More room than it first seems in 3rd row seats

The power!

Can never have too many cup holders - apparently! :blink:

Removable and stowable middle seat

Reversing camera

This car has 9,100 kays on it at the moment. The siny plastics around the centre console are slightly scratched and it isn't as clean as it should be. It also only has rego until the end of this month. To me, this is used car territory, not demonstrator territory. The $39,990 asking price is a bit rich in my mind. I think I'd be happy with $38,000, plus a tow bar and a full tank of juice.

On the other hand, I've had 2 dealers ring me and offer me a new one - One at $41,500 driveaway, the other at $42,000 driveaway.

One of those dealers also tells me that he has a white 7 seater, with rear parking sensors and with 900kays on the clock which he'll let go for $40,650 driveaway.

Whether this is one of their standard tactics, where you rock up, tell them you'll take it, only to be told that they've made a mistake, the manager says they can't do it at that price and that they need another grand or two? Or if he really has a demo at that price?

So the options really are:

KXR, 7 seater, FWD, 9100 kays, currently advertised for $39,990 - hopefully expect to pick up for around $38,000 with a towbar; or:

KXR, 7 seater, FWD, 900 kays, asking $40650 - maybe negotiate to around $40,000

Worth paying the extra 2 grand to knock off 8500 kays?

It's almost enough to do your head in! :)

I wouldn't say it's a big drama. Basically, sticking the boot in from standstill is enough to cause the front wheels to screech from the line. Personally, I expected this to be a non event. I guess it's a compromise between grip and slip.

Mind you, turning the traction control off is very noticeable. It's enough for the front wheels to really get squealing.

Other than that, I will be buying one tomorrow.

Thanks for that. Yes, I'd expect this NOT to be the case as well. Makes me wonder how much testing did Toyota dudes do?

I wouldn't say it's a big drama. Basically, sticking the boot in from standstill is enough to cause the front wheels to screech from the line. Personally, I expected this to be a non event. I guess it's a compromise between grip and slip.

Mind you, turning the traction control off is very noticeable. It's enough for the front wheels to really get squealing.

good one there aardvark,

thats great to hear your enjoying it, they are a good beast.

I agree with you on most gripes, but you can work with it.

The centre seat although can be bigger weve actually used it quite a bit and it seems to be quite okay for the passenger. Could do with another 150mm of space behind the 3rd row seat, but in reality there is so much room between the first and second row and because the floor is flat you can comfartable carry a lot of stuff there without being too much bother for the passengers.

Totally agree on the 3rd row anchor points. Traction control - cant say ive pushed it that hard then because i havnt had a problem.

its a nice machine though as you appreciate and the power although 201Kw is oaky it delivers it so well and the engine sounds pretty sweet.Its supposed to do 0-100 in around 8secs but I think with the right launch you could knock quit a bit off that. I actually had the pleasure of totally demoralising a poor chap in his hotted up machine (though a 4 cylinder) , the mongrel cheated and jumped the lights, but I was ready, revs up brake on, and as soon as they went green....launch like a jackrabbit, and he was eating my dust so quickly it wasnt funny....Ahh you really can enjoy this car.

Forgot you had FWD, traction or lack of may be something harder to tame with 201kw, but havnt experienced it in AWD yet.

Well, just bought myself a Kluger.

Picked it up for $38,500 on road, with another 3 months rego once the current rego runs out, a towbar (fitted), headlight protectors, rubber matts and the 10,000km service thrown in.

As mentioned previously, it already comes with front and rear parking sensors and is the 7 seat model.

Very happy and I pick it up mid next week.

Thanks folks.

Good on ya Aardvark,welcome to the club!!! Bet you can't wait for next week.

The worst part is, I'm on a course for work all week and the wife gets to go and collect it!!

I'm currently looking into adding child restraint anchor points for the 3rd row of seats. Anyone else done this?

Thanks for your post Aardvark, it certainly gives me some perspective as Im about to buy a new model Kluger too.

I took one for a drive today, they called it their 'demo model' but interestingly, it only had 6ks on the clock! Also, as it has just been registered, they can't legally sell the car as a demo until 45 days are up.

This model; Kx-R, 2WD, 5 seats with 6 stacker CD/Bluetooth and Side Steps thrown in - $41,500 drive away.

Looks like I could do better :whistling:

I took it for a drive, and I also managed to spin the wheels! A bit embarassing, I thought id dig the boot in a bit just to see what the response was like on the engine.

Think I'll keep shopping for a good price, and some more accessories thrown (nudge bar and rear sensors would be good).

-Scott.

Edited by Scott_C