Launching off with your sportivo

Hey mate,

When I was still racing my sportivo at hillclimbs, I used to launch it at around 5000rpm, but that was with semi-slicks on the front. after doing a burnout too, so they were reasonably warm. There is a really fine line between a nice smooth take off, and outrageous wheelspin. It takes a lot of practice, and your left foot has to be really sensitive.

As for holding v tapping, i think its more a personal thing. I rev the car continuously but dont hold it at that level, just up down up down.

Heres a link to a video so you can see my start (well hear it anyway)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12968

It really depends on your tyre and suspension combo. At WSID I just launched the car at 4000rpm, that was just reving and dropping the clutch. The car hooked up immediately and took off, I will try a harder launch next time I am out there as many members recommend to launch at 5000-5500rpm.

Well you can go out and give it a try now as you should be working around those rpms. Different cars with different mods will be launching at different rpms, although I don't expect it to vary too much. I would say around 4-5K rpm would be alright, might spin and axel tramp a bit.

you can minimise wheel spin by riding your clutch, so you can get a better launch. though it's argued that a little spin is actually good. :unsure:

it give a few practice runs, dropping the clutch @ 5 and riding the clutch @ 5. you'll notice the difference and play around with it. just beware that you're giving your standard soft clutch a hard time so don't do it every second.

If you find its overheating and not grabbing, then don't ride it too long or get a HD clutch :D

thanks alot everyone.. Was very useful, i got 2 do sum practice runs

well mate if ur in sydney u should come to WSID on wed night there will be a few corollas down there that night "practicing" ....

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=13777

you can minimise wheel spin by riding your clutch, so you can get a better launch. though it's argued that a little spin is actually good. :unsure:

it give a few practice runs, dropping the clutch @ 5 and riding the clutch @ 5. you'll notice the difference and play around with it. just beware that you're giving your standard soft clutch a hard time so don't do it every second.

im abit confused now. E.G wen im at the 'start line' i must keep pumping my revz til about 5000rpm with my clutch in..On 'green ligght' let go off the clutch fast, then pump the clutch 2reduce spin together with foot flat on the gas?. If wrong, please correct my statement

I would reconsider practicing with a full 5000rpm launch. Start off low at say 3000rpm as that will help your drivetrain last longer.

The easiest way to envision what to do is, do the same thing you do when you start off normally, only have whatever launching revs you want instead of 1000rpm. Try and bring the clutch out fast, but not so fast that the car bogs down, or so slow that you burn it. It might take some practice if your new to manual. If you start getting a strong smell, drive around sedately for a while to cool your clutch off.

Edited by SuperDave

A bit hard to describe riding/feathering the clutch.

Something a bit more simpler

Clutch dump launch

1. Rev to 4500-5000rpm with clutch pedal in

2. Release clutch pedal by side stepping it

3. Gas pedal to the floor

Don't do it too often though

Side stepping, landing your left foot on the brake... and then promptly start laughing as you're going nowhere!