Toyota Bluetooth question

Scott_C

Hi, Ive read that the Toyota 6 stacker CD/Bluetooth unit is standard across all models, unless you're getting the Sat Nav version in the Grande.

What disturbs me though, is that an owner of a 2007 Prado reports that his unit wont recognise telstra's 3G network.

Anyone else encountered this?

Full post and source is below.

I recently purchased a 07 Toyota Prado. Part of the sales pitch was that it had Blue Tooth set up incorporated in the radio. After many fruitless hours I now discover the the unit only works with older mobiles and will not operate with phones usiing Telstra Next G network. On contacting Toyota their only comment was that phone systems change and they can't keep up with all the new systems. A bit of forward planning by Toyota would not have gone astray, or perhaps the just don't care as long as they sell cars. Looks like Toyota have taken me and no doubt many others for a ride. Incidently my mobile is a Motorazr max v6 3g, and is about fifteen months old.

http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/phones...40091501,00.htm

I am puzzled.... I don't understand why a peripheral listen device like a bluetooth handset (in this case is a car phone system) is dependant on the network. Isn't this just the phone problem (either it is Motorola or the user). I connect mine Nokia N95 (Smartphone based) and my wife's Sony W880i (normal plan GSM phone) on the Optus plan no problem. I get my Grande Kluger to autoconnect to my phone or my wife's by just going to Phone setup> select phone > and press the phone (which I can store 6).

I don't see the drama...

Yes it doesnt sound right. The connectivity of a bluetooth device is not dependant on the network at all, but totally dependant on the handset. I believe toyota uses the two most common types of bluetooth protocol so most bluetooth handsets should be compatible.

The chapy with the prado must be getting confused somehow, I have a NextG handset and its no problem with me. I assume he means NextG, I suppose you can call it 3.5G, which is backwards compatible with 3G in the very unlikely event NextG coverage isnt available. He may have purchased a NextG Handset and is still using a standard GSM or 3G SIM which he must upgrade to NextG to be able to use the NextG network, I think this is what he might be trying to say???

Only just read the guys problem. Seems like it must be an issue with the compatability of the toyota Bluetooth receiver and the Motorolas bluetooth. Nothing to do with the network. Bit strange though, I would have thought the fairly late model Prado should have supported the Motorola protocol....

I'll bet any money this guy is referring to the signal strength meter not showing up on his head unit display, which is purely a convenience thing. We've set up plenty of Motorolas and other phones of allsorts, NextG or not, on bluetooth head units, with no probs at all. Some display signal strength, some don't.

Edited by pinzvidz

• 1 month later...

I paired my Nokia 6120 with KX-S demo in the yard with no problem.

Is it possible that the Toyota system uses the network to initially recognise the phone. During my play with the demo I noticed a phone number oin the display (not mine) when scrolling through the menu options. I see that the BT can store up to 6 phones to pair with so maybe this is the way (the number) in which the system differentiates between phones.

Just a thought to maybe explain the above problem...... :idea:

I paired my Nokia 6120 with KX-S demo in the yard with no problem.

Is it possible that the Toyota system uses the network to initially recognise the phone. During my play with the demo I noticed a phone number oin the display (not mine) when scrolling through the menu options. I see that the BT can store up to 6 phones to pair with so maybe this is the way (the number) in which the system differentiates between phones.

Just a thought to maybe explain the above problem...... :idea:

No. The blue tooth carries a set of codes per device ... a 4 pairs of hex code. So it can range from 00:00:00:00 to FF:FF:FF:FF. That makes (with my rough calculation) 4,294,967,296 combination. The changes of one exact combination within the 10m effective range is.... next to zero.

eDIT: I was told it may use more (like the MAC address). So more combination :yahoo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Edited by Taka

Anybody knows what happens when two bluetooth enabled phones enter the Kluger?

Assuming both have been paired up already with the Kluger.

Does it pick one and lock out the other?

It chooses the one that was connected last in the Grande, I assume it is the same in the KX-S.

What I've been hearing is that the signal strength indicators might not work but it will still function as a BT handsfree kit. The system does run off a generic BT protocol so any deviation outside of the standard protocol will have certain features not work. My old O2 Atom Exec doesn't show the signal strength but it still operates the necessary things.

• 2 months later...

We have two phones registered on the Kluger- mine and my wife's.

Is it correct that we must manually select ourselves to the be 'active user' to swap between phones?

At present it just sticks to the last active user/phone and only switches over when someone goes to Phone-> Setup and switches over the user.

I suspect this is the way it is intended to work. I was kinda hoping that since both phones are registered to the system it would use a first come first served approach to connecting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I'll bet any money this guy is referring to the signal strength meter not showing up on his head unit display, which is purely a convenience thing. We've set up plenty of Motorolas and other phones of allsorts, NextG or not, on bluetooth head units, with no probs at all. Some display signal strength, some don't.

I noticed this when my wife paired her Nokia 6230 with the Kluger's bluetooth... the pairing worked but there's no signal strength shown on the radio display whereas as my Nokia 6233 pairs AND displays signal strength.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it correct that we must manually select ourselves to the be 'active user' to swap between phones?

At present it just sticks to the last active user/phone and only switches over when someone goes to Phone-> Setup and switches over the user.

I suspect this is the way it is intended to work. I was kinda hoping that since both phones are registered to the system it would use a first come first served approach to connecting.

Hi,

We just brought a kluger and i was wondering the same thing.. I have 2 phone paired to the bluetooth, do we need to manually select our phone each time you get in. I tought it would automatically pick up who is in the car???

Hi,

We just brought a kluger and i was wondering the same thing.. I have 2 phone paired to the bluetooth, do we need to manually select our phone each time you get in. I tought it would automatically pick up who is in the car???

The Kluger remembers the last pairing so what I normally do is have the Kluger pairing with my wife's phone as she uses it the most (Mon - Fri) and when I finally get a chance to drive I have to manually change the Kluger to look for and re-establish pairing with my phone. Takes about 10 seconds.... I certainly would like an easier system but this is what we've got.