auto vs manual v6 gen3

Gibbo

Hi I'm a newbie to Camry car and forum..:)

question: my mate's gen 3 96 v6 manual I was so surprised at the grunt, has a real noisy exhaust is all we can see, came that way, and we thought it may have a 'chip'...

Anyway, I'm looking at the same thing Vienta auto but it has not got the same 'rush'

And so are the m/t & a/t so different to drive in power delivery, or is his car a 'hottie'

I like his grunt,

but I do a lot of traffic and so the auto kind of suits me...

thanks

good thing with the camrys in the gen 3 and 4 with the 1mz and 3vz from experience is to make it breath better. Upgrade the intake.. the cheapest and easiest way is to get a K&N panel filter (some might say it dont work...but you notice a diff from your paper one) and then take out all the resonators in the intake line, then take the bottom of your airbox and drill holes in it (eg 10mm to 15mm holes or find a size that fits between the support ribs in the plastic). make it look like swiss cheese. I also add a flex hose from the front fender to the air box to give it a little cold air. OR you can go get a CAI kit for it. SRI are usless i found on the V6, gets heat soaked to much specially on take off (when power is needed :P)

that will help it suck easier

then upgrade ya exhaust. 2.5in cat back for example. dont really need anything bigger then 2.5in. and put hi flow mufflers on it.

these mods ive done to mine which is a manual..

as for the auto.... (my GF mothers gen4 V6 wagon) it was pretty gutsy for an auto. so you should be able to achieve something

but compared to a manual.. it doesnt have that edge :P

Edited by BlindEyeSight

good thing with the camrys in the gen 3 and 4 with the 1mz and 3vz from experience is to make it breath better. Upgrade the intake.. the cheapest and easiest way is to get a K&N panel filter (some might say it dont work...but you notice a diff from your paper one) and then take out all the resonators in the intake line, then take the bottom of your airbox and drill holes in it (eg 10mm to 15mm holes or find a size that fits between the support ribs in the plastic). make it look like swiss cheese. I also add a flex hose from the front fender to the air box to give it a little cold air. OR you can go get a CAI kit for it. SRI are usless i found on the V6, gets heat soaked to much specially on take off (when power is needed :P)

then upgrade ya exhaust. 2.5in cat back for example. dont really need anything bigger then 2.5in. and put hi flow mufflers on it.

as for the auto.... (my GF mothers gen4 V6 wagon) it was pretty gutsy for an auto. so you should be able to achieve something

Thanks reply was helpful, I bought the Auto Vienta and so now I want to improve it...

I will try freeing up the intake as you say, but I like mine quiet, bit of a cardigan dude... I like my music though!!

I rmoved the air filter completely and it made a difference, especially from 4k rpm :)

question: where are the resinators in the intake?

Has anyone tried a chip to power up the lower rev range with success?

Thanks again, I like the car and enjoy improving it...

everything wat blindsight says in spot on.....u shldnt really be driving without an air filter...otherwise u can say bye bye to ur engine...when a leaf decides to go in :P...the swiss cheese thing helps too as well as a nice induction noise....u can buy ECUs bt its very expensive.....manual is better for racing (bt street racing is for losers)....i personally like a manual coz u get more control...thts y i am gettin a gen3 vienta in manual soon :D.....do ur intake and exhaust and u will gain a few HP (not alot) bt u will notice a difference!!! lets us know how things unfold!!

Edited by wishbone

I'm seconding both BlindEyeSight and wishbone...

I've upgraded my intake, but still left the resonator on (I'm takin that off real soon, lol). I replaced the snorkel intake and put that down to the front of the fender like what Russ was on about ^^

It doesn't make any difference to me, but I at least know it's cold fresh air (wasn't noticeable gain anyway). You'll have to watch out for water getting through though.

I'll be buying a K&N air filter to replace my stocko POS soon enough... they set back around 100-150 bucks.

Try not to void your warranty though... if you end up in a car accident, the assesor might not wanna give you insurance because they class K&N as a modification (I guess the flow of air is different), so you'd (obviously) take out the stocko air filter that you conveniently keep in your boot and swap it out :whistling:

I'm seconding both BlindEyeSight and wishbone...

I've upgraded my intake, but still left the resonator on (I'm takin that off real soon, lol). I replaced the snorkel intake and put that down to the front of the fender like what Russ was on about ^^

It doesn't make any difference to me, but I at least know it's cold fresh air (wasn't noticeable gain anyway). You'll have to watch out for water getting through though.

I'll be buying a K&N air filter to replace my stocko POS soon enough... they set back around 100-150 bucks.

Try not to void your warranty though... if you end up in a car accident, the assesor might not wanna give you insurance because they class K&N as a modification (I guess the flow of air is different), so you'd (obviously) take out the stocko air filter that you conveniently keep in your boot and swap it out :whistling:

Ok I noe have a filter back and swiss cheese air box... no differenc but I feel better

question: where is the 'resonator on the v6...

All I can see is the short tube...

The KN is so dear... is it worth it?

I would like a snorkel mounted someplace to pick up some air pressure for 'forced induction ' effect

like a scoop in the grill gap... dit out of say an old funnel cut and glue gun together

My main gripe is the power comes in too late... must be the cam and ecu mapping

I'll search the net for info, how to trick the ecu...

anyone in the illawarra area know a mechanic to help me do the head,

maybe weld up a water jacket as well.

I can do all the removal and replace, but I don't know any specs or tricky stuff, if there is any...

Thanks guys,

I really like my gen3 by the way.

well i got a V6 gen2 and i've simply cut the bottom of the airbox out with the stock filter still in place plus a much smaller rear muffler and its a littler cleaner in the top end, say above 5000rpm but apart from that it hasnt done anything

as for auto vs manual lets just say i wish mine was manual, mine is a slug in 1st and the shifts are way to smooth and slow even with the POWER button on

well i got a V6 gen2 and i've simply cut the bottom of the airbox out with the stock filter still in place plus a much smaller rear muffler and its a littler cleaner in the top end, say above 5000rpm but apart from that it hasnt done anything

as for auto vs manual lets just say i wish mine was manual, mine is a slug in 1st and the shifts are way to smooth and slow even with the POWER button on

I read how you can adjust the auto changer cable for faster , sharper shifts... reduces auto clutch slip

do you know about that?...My 'power' button just raises the upper shift point of the auto

I think Toyota did not build a restricted exhaust... but smaller muffler sounds better

on my v6 manual I have a magna flow on 2.5 pipe, awsome sound but too drony sound for everyday

it is a manual and there is a HUGE difference in power delivery, and very nice to change gear, click. click...

but I like the auto, I rarely have the pedal to the carpet, so why go for more if I don't even use what I got

And so I'm selling the manual, it is lowered at the front as well, white with rego...

what would it be worth you reckon... straight and clean.

I read how you can adjust the auto changer cable for faster , sharper shifts... reduces auto clutch slip

do you know about that?...My 'power' button just raises the upper shift point of the auto

I think Toyota did not build a restricted exhaust... but smaller muffler sounds better

on my v6 manual I have a magna flow on 2.5 pipe, awsome sound but too drony sound for everyday

it is a manual and there is a HUGE difference in power delivery, and very nice to change gear, click. click...

but I like the auto, I rarely have the pedal to the carpet, so why go for more if I don't even use what I got

And so I'm selling the manual, it is lowered at the front as well, white with rego...

what would it be worth you reckon... straight and clean.

Intake resonator for a V6 - in front of the air filter - may need to remove the air filter and move the battery to get to it, as well as the fuses. I ended up getting some of that flex pipe from Super Cheap and running that from the airbox straight to the bottom of the fender.

Intake resonator for a V6 - in front of the air filter - may need to remove the air filter and move the battery to get to it, as well as the fuses. I ended up getting some of that flex pipe from Super Cheap and running that from the airbox straight to the bottom of the fender.

oh ok I know the short induction tube...

yes I will run a 'pick-up' to a high pressure area to gain some ram effect...

by the way the engine develops power I think most gains will be thru re-mapping the ecu

maybe adding a simple resistor to the o2 sensor wire, car thinks it is still not fully warm and richen the mix and advances the ignition... it wouln;t take much but I don't read anyone doing this sort of thing in this forum ...yet