Project El Cheapo III.T

RME1

how bout a gen 7 celica bonnet scoop? would that work or not ninja enough?

I didn't even consider that!! B) Will look into it! Cheers And1

Also on the thought train are GTI-R bonnet vents - not the scoops. The vents.

Did some measuring last night it seems there is a space (Bonnet skin) of 20cm x 6cm wide - that is over the TMIC. Tight fit. But as And1 has suggested...a Gen 7 bonnet scoop is fairly low profile? A scoop would probably be the most effective as well...hmm. Any one keen on photoshopping a few options? Pretty please? :lol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toyota-starlet.jpg

those vents look like they are doing nothing :P :lol:

i wonder how would the celica scoop mount? would looh killer tho!

• 2 months later...

All these people doing mods....I feel left out! :(

DIY TMIC Scoop (NINJA SPEC)

Powered by Bunnings....

2926623_97_full.jpg

The end choice was to select the bottom right vent. It is made of alluminium, as opposed to the other one which was plasticish with some mesh. There was a massive alluminium vent, but all I wanted was a vent large enough to ensure air goes to the TMIC (A4 size paper)

2926623_100_full.jpg

We didn't end up cutting the skeleton bracing for the bonnet, instead we only took the skin off. If you look carefully, you can see the middle support beam, yes? The Lourves are pointing face forward in order to direct air towards the TMIC. Should an FMIC come later on, I'll just reversre the setup and the hot air can be directed out. 8)

2926623_101_full.jpg

Driving to work today, I think there is more spool when you floor it? Not too sure whether or not this is true as it could be subjective. However, I feel more comfortable giving the Box a bit of a boot now that I know that there is some air 'ramming' (if only slightly) into the TMIC.

2926623_102_full.jpg

The vent itself was given a coat of gloss black, and then clear coated. At night time, it is very difficult to make out whether or not it is an addition to the bonnet :twisted: Much success!

During the day, it seems to work alright as well....It sort of highlights the need for me to clear coat the roof now :oops:

Apologies for the bad photos. Total cost: $12 :lol:

Hopefully The Box is still associated with the "Ninja" catergory, as opposed to "Excel/Lancer" territory....however I strongly suspect that I'm starting to hit the border... :P We must stay in the dark side!

Next functional mod project:

imageposts_maisto_gtr6.jpg

Edited by RME1

I just purchased a fibre glass Naca duct. $60 from Kenlowe.com.au

Better get something race proven than plastic universal bits and pieces...

Evo%205%20-%20front%20-%20A.JPG

purchased a random mushroom filter off ebay (Autobahn88 spec) - HKS 'type'.

Hoping to link it up like an evo.

Unfortunately I didn't take any before and after bonnet temps :( It would of been good to know what the intial 'Non vented' engine bay was prior to the install.

Now that there is a vent, when I come back to Vic - will definately be hitting Winton again to see the NA EP91 (2:01) vs Turbo Ep91 Times (?). Hopefully I will be able to better the times of the Rex (1:53)*.

*A 45 kw atw car compared to a 133 kw atw car is only 8 seconds :lol:

But track time & experience really do matter. The Rex was scary when driving on track - bog stock, understeer heaven. The 2:01 time was achieved with a bog stock (+15" rims) NA EP91. This time was achieved after a combined total of 80+ laps at Winton race way. (i.e. 1zzfe (2 track days) + GC8 (1 track Day) + EP91 NA (1 Track day).

Hope this inspires others!

Edited by RME1

hehehe i miss my starlet after seeing yours bro :(

:P LOL Roy, I miss my 1ZZ all the time

;) Can't ever forget first loves :rolleyes:

Edited by RME1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update:

GGIII.T @ 99,920 Km

Time since Engine swap: 5 months

Km's since Engine Swap: 7,500 km

2926623_110_full.jpg

2926623_111_full.jpg

Fuel Consumption Best: 6.4L/100km

Fuel Consumption Worst: 8.8L/100km

Fuel Consumption Average: 7.7L/100km

Mods since Engine swap:

- Replaced Silicone Hoses to TMIC

- Went to Bunnings for bonnet mod

- Air filter mushroom

Required:

- 100,000km service

- Engine Oil Pressure Switch Replacement.

Highlights:

- Travels to mines (+400km)

- Travels to Sydney (+200km)

- Travels to Wakefield Raceway (+400km)

- Breaking down 4 times coming back from Wakefield

- Hole in bonnet

- Trips to Bunnings

Woot, coming back home to Melb as early as Dec :D

WINTON ATTACK!!

• 4 weeks later...

GGIII.T @ The 100,000km Service

Got the Box taken to Kmart Tire and Auto in Newy - they also were the people who helped pick the lock of the car when I accidentally locked the keys in there :(. So they are automatically champions. 8)

Whilst burning down time at the shopping center, I get a call from the Kmart dudes.

"Yo dude. Bad news. We found the following...." *Deep breath.

1. There is Oil in your cooling system

2. Diff oil seal is leaking

3. One of your tires has a puncture

4. The water pump is DEAD

5. You require to replace the engine seals. Leaking badly.

Me: Can you fix them?

Dude: Yes.

Me: Sweet.

Kmart people are cool. Ranga's FTW!

The Kmart dude that worked on the Starlet used to work at a turbo performance shop and mentioned that "She's a neat little thing to drive around...could probably use an FMIC and a bigger turbo LOL" :lol:

$-663.85

I probably should of replaced the water pump, and seals when the engine was out....but in our haste didn't. Tips for young players: If you replace it. Do it. If you can't, be prepared....

Apparently the 'Engine oil in the coolant system is HEAPS uncool'. I think it's likened to eating Ice Cream at the Coggee Bay Hotel? The Kmart Team and myself have no idea how there would be oil in the coolant system. so they flushed it and asked me to keep an eye on it in the future.

GGIII.T @ 100,800km in Newy.

The Econo Box that averages 6.7L/100 whilst driving Miss Daisy :D

The Demon Econo Box that averages 7.8L/100 whilst desperately needing to do a number 2.

Peace out.

Jules.

Edited by RME1

anytime there is oil in the coolant... think Blown Head Gasket.

Oil Lines are pressured much higher than the cooling systems.... and if there is a small crack in the head gasket the oil pressure will push some oil into the water galleries in the block.

DEF keep an eye on it.. and *** help you if water ends up in the oil.

ahahaha RME1 you are so funny! I just read every single post in this thread. what a journey. when you are in melb I definitely need to see "The Box". Makeshift hoodscoop is so hilarious! LOL

What's your 0-100km/h time?

• 2 weeks later...
ahahaha RME1 you are so funny! I just read every single post in this thread. what a journey. when you are in melb I definitely need to see "The Box". Makeshift hoodscoop is so hilarious! LOL

What's your 0-100km/h time?

Hey mate, we'll definately catch up when I come back to Melbourne! :D I should be back by Australia Day B)

Glad to hear that you're enjoying "The Box" Thread

0-100 off a stock EP82 Starlet GT should be around 6.9 seconds....from Starletgt.com

She's a nice little car. Great on fuel, great on parking. No hassles from hoons or others. More handling orientated than pure out right power. :lol: Even the Kmart dude digs the Starlet !

Update:

Head Gasket Change & Dump Pipe Install @ 1013xx km

So I've booked the Starletto into Kmart once again to this time replace the head gasket. It's taken a while to get her fixed, but I've been told that today she is being put back together.

The Kmart dude that I have used to work at a Turbo place, so he knows a thing or two about snails (i.e. CT9 Turbo).

The Engine was pretty much pulled apart and the heads + head gaskets were sent to a local place for analysis. It took all of yesterday, which meant the Box was idle at Kmart :(

Results came back and it was definately a failed head gasket. Lucky we got onto that problem quick smart. Kmart dude is also going to install the Ebay Spec turbo dump pipe-a-matronic - apparently the stock dump is very restrictive, so I paid $100 delivered from the US for an ebay jobbie!! $_$ = :D

Unfortunately, I do not actually know the damage of the whole gasket change - but considering there is a lot of labour involved, I was given an estimate of about $1500 - 1600. OMFG. - Oh well. It seems I have fallen in love with this heap of crap and am willing to see her through her days.

Quick review of what has happened so far:

Nov: Purchase the BOX in N/A Form. $4000

Dec: Tracked the BOX in N/A form @ Winton (2.01 mins in stock form. Reference Grey Goose (1zzfe) @ 1.58 with coils + Cai)

Feb: Moved to Newy

April: Purchase and installed Tein's & Random strut bars

May: Engine Swap $3000

Present: All this random maintence - 100,000km service & Head gasket = est. $2500 (#_#)

So luckily I got some tax back in time :D

-ALSO: Finally got back in contact with Ken @ Kenlowe.com.au about Naca ducts I purchased 2 months ago. Apparently he foudn the transaction and I should be getting the NACA duct in the post soon.

I've given up on the Air Filter Mushroom - it is way too annoying to hear "WHOOOOOSH" everytime i change gears. The novaltiy wears off very quickly. I'll just cut out another make shift hole in the bonnet and arrange a duct to go towards the air box. I tell you what, the Bonnet is coping a mutiliation this year LOL!!

Future Tests:

- Dyno

- Winton Track attack (sub 2min (aka. 1:50 - 1:55) Reference GGII: Gamera WRX GC8 = 1:53 )

GGIII.T @ Kmart Tire and Auto.

Edited by RME1

Don't we all just hate ourselves for buying old cars and fixing up problems that pop up at major service :P looks like we're in pretty much the same boat bro..looking at a big bill for my MR2 as well :(

Did your GF crack the ****es at you as well? :P

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year TOCA!

Update:

Whilst in Melbourne...

I got a cheapo set of wannabe wantanabes!

Mazda

14X5.5 +45. 12.3lb

29266230112_large.jpg

The 15" CSA Hornets with the Adrenaline rubber can be the track star wheels (Street Tire Crew FTW!) , these 14" can be the daily driver wheels. Exciting times...shame the starlet is in Newcastle :(

I've been learning a bit from a mate about how economy mods such as aero improvements can also benefit on track performance. For the love of science, cheap thrills and the El Cheapo theme, we must pursue this!

0607_sccp_04_z%20car_aerodynamics%20wind_diagram.jpg

Also, I'm going to try to create an under body tray in the pursuit of science and cheap entrainment.

Using flute board from bunnings at $7 each for a 2 x 2 m (i think) - it is a relatively cheap experiment.

This should provide/test the following:

1. Give me better economy due to reduced turbulent under body air flow

2. Give me a higher top speed on the track.

Here is the basic picture for the aero under tray:

107773_15lo.jpg

Autospeed's Julian Edgar has a few articles which detail the benefits of a front under tray as well as trailing a rear tray. Very interesting reading.

Might just do the front first, and then see what happens

Also will trial this as well...An underbody tire air dam - meant to deflect air away from the tires, which in turn should reduce turbulant air flow.

Honda_Accord_Underbody_Tire_Air_Dam.jpg

Furthermore other readings suggest that the rim style can also effect fuel economy! i.e. Open spokes = greater chance for air to get trapped in there and cause turbulence.

I've been tracking my fuel consumption and have been getting consistent 7's. If I can manage a consistent dip into the 6's, then I think that this would be a good measure of success.

Keeping El Cheapo live and kicking for 2009!

Cheers,

Jules

Edited by RME1

• 2 weeks later...
hehehe i miss my starlet after seeing yours bro :(

:P LOL Roy, I miss my 1ZZ all the time

;) Can't ever forget first loves :rolleyes:

HA :P

Hope she gave you good times CJ! Best of luck with the sale

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update:

The Fuel gauge is fixed!!

I was just puttering around and thought to myself - why should i just fumble around with the wires if I know that the correct fuel wire is just linked to the 'empty fuel light' in the dash? Couldn't I just switch the dash wires around? ....So 1 year later...

29266230118_large.jpg

Fuel Consumption

Seems to be going well these days, just as long as I don't fully boost her around town etc.

29266230119_large.jpg

I managed 6.3 odd L/100 off the last tank whilst picking up the latest mod - A 2.5" Toyota Sportivo Muffler! Woot woot. Hopefully this baffled design will allow the Starlet to Idle more gingerly, even though she is still idling a little bit high (i.e. 1.1K RPM? )

9fba_1.JPG

Edited by RME1

Also will trial this as well...An underbody tire air dam - meant to deflect air away from the tires, which in turn should reduce turbulant air flow.

Honda_Accord_Underbody_Tire_Air_Dam.jpg

Furthermore other readings suggest that the rim style can also effect fuel economy! i.e. Open spokes = greater chance for air to get trapped in there and cause turbulence.

I've been tracking my fuel consumption and have been getting consistent 7's. If I can manage a consistent dip into the 6's, then I think that this would be a good measure of success.

Keeping El Cheapo live and kicking for 2009!

Cheers,

Jules

just wondering if the 1zz corollas have that tyre air dam from factory? ive seen sportivos with them.