zze gearbox strength?

hey hows things?

im new hear just signed up to ask a quick question.

my mum has a 2002 rolla accent, gearbox had a noise in it so we got it ripped it out and put another second hand 1 in it.

anyway, i drive a 91 mazda 323 with familia import 1.8 turbo, soon to have a a gt2871 turbo bigger cooler and few other goodies, i already went through 1 gearbox with my old setup (vf28 off suby sti), as our mazda gearboxes are abit on the s**t side and i know of people going through 6,7,8 boxes

now hears my question, how strong are the zze boxes? can you get a trd ge****t or something? lsd? i seen someone on this site wirth a dark blue rolla with 248??kw atw. which is what ill be aming for. is this gearbox worth putting in and will it withstand the power, i know someone who has put a mr2 turbo box in his maz but alot of trouble doing it but got it done anyway,

the zze gearbox looks a bit smaller then the mr2 but looks about same size as my mazda box(ie easier to fit in) but built alot better, i ripped the 5th gear cap off and found it has a steel plate to hold the bearings in place (a common mod mazda guys do to stop bearings spining out) and in all looks a bit tougher.

so do you think its worh putting in, are they strong enough? cheers for any repleys much appreciated

hey hows things?

my mum has a 2002 rolla accent, gearbox had a noise in it so we got it ripped it out and put another second hand 1 in it.

anyway, i drive a 91 mazda 323 with familia import 1.8 turbo, soon to have a a gt2871 turbo bigger cooler and few other goodies, i already went through 1 gearbox with my old setup (vf28 off suby sti), as our mazda gearboxes are abit on the s**t side and i know of people going through 6,7,8 boxes

now hears my question, how strong are the zze boxes? can you get a trd ge****t or something? lsd? i seen someone on this site wirth a dark blue rolla with 248??kw atw. which is what ill be aming for. is this gearbox worth putting in and will it withstand the power, i know someone who has put a mr2 turbo box in his maz but alot of trouble doing it but got it done anyway,

the zze gearbox looks a bit smaller then the mr2 but looks about same size as my mazda box(ie easier to fit in) but built alot better, i ripped the 5th gear cap off and found it has a steel plate to hold the bearings in place (a common mod mazda guys do to stop bearings spining out) and in all looks a bit tougher.

so do you think its worh putting in, are they strong enough? cheers for any repleys much appreciated

248kw atw and not a single gearbox issue at all, unless you abuse your car the stock gearbox will hold up just fine.

thanks for the reply

any info on lsd's or anyrhing?

thanks again

C-One makes a gear set which will also have an LSD for about $6K i think ..... which are supposed to be stronger and provide shorter ratio's .... i think it was 18% shorter across the board.

But for just the LSD u have TRD Helical (i believe disconntinued but can still be found), TRD Mechanical, Quaife, Kaaz & Cusco.

cheers

Bill

Hi mate,

If you look around on several rallying websites around Oz, you will find a lot of good info on how to ensure that the Familia box stays tough. No need to upgrade really.

Hi mate,

If you look around on several rallying websites around Oz, you will find a lot of good info on how to ensure that the Familia box stays tough. No need to upgrade really.

dont be a soft c0ck micky ...... as ive been noticing ur a bit under the thumb these days ...... we hearing wedding bells yet ? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: ....... and as u of all ppl should know ..... there is always a need to upgrade :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Familiar gearboxes are ok so long as you don't want to boost up your power output. Strengthen them and add some more power and they still break. There is only a couple of cars still being used up here in QLD by lets say not the greatest and fastest drivers and they aren't breaking them but their cars aren't really modified too severly nor do they drive em hard.

Want to rally hard and fast in an AWD car then go and buy and EVO Lancer. :toast:

same deal for the pulsar gti-r apparently they suffer similar failing when the engine gets upgraded

WRX's are also notorious for blowing ge****ts if there is too much power going through them. Mr Rigoli in Sydney however makes decent ge****ts that are near bulletproof.

I'm not too sure whether a supra box would go in or not actually...could be an idea.

about the toughest FWD manual corolla box you'll get is an E series 5-speed unless you get PAR or similar to make you a straight-cut ge****t.

Modding an E series bellhousing to fit the ZZ block would be far cheaper than a ge****t.

Bazda at twincam.org is putting down 330kw atw with his and running 130mph trap speeds on slicks

about the toughest FWD manual corolla box you'll get is an E series 5-speed unless you get PAR or similar to make you a straight-cut ge****t.

Modding an E series bellhousing to fit the ZZ block would be far cheaper than a ge****t.

Bazda at twincam.org is putting down 330kw atw with his and running 130mph trap speeds on slicks

cheers mate, what modle is the e series off

SW20 MR2 turbo, V6 Camry, AE92 GTZ Levin's and Trueno's, AE101 GTZ Levin's and Trueno's, AW11 Supercharged MR2. Make sure you get the matching shafts with the box. AE101 GTZ's came with LSD from the factory.

But the Mazda is box is much stronger than any Toyota box.

Im going to guess that the turbo Familia is not an original 2WD Turbo Familia GT-X? And that you are running the standard 2WD n/a Box, that came in the 626? If so, try and get a proper 2WD Turbo box, its much stronger than standard.

But the Mazda is box is much stronger than any Toyota box.

Im going to guess that the turbo Familia is not an original 2WD Turbo Familia GT-X? And that you are running the standard 2WD n/a Box, that came in the 626? If so, try and get a proper 2WD Turbo box, its much stronger than standard.

no mazda boxes will put u with 250kw without a problem, they blow(3rd gear, or diff) with just a few mods, ofcorse any box will last longer if you drive it like a granny, if thats the case i wouldt have a turbo car. i want something that will put up with a bit of a caining

the stronest box we can run behind the familia(323) 1.8 turbo is a dohc g series out of a astina sp or tx3, they use the same gear set as a 4wd turbo box anyhow.

626 turbo boxes are the next step up but also needs to be everything custom as they bolt to a completly different block

as i said earlier ive got this box lying around doing nothing just needs some bearings, ifit can handle 250kw without a hasle it seems to be a touch btter then our boxes

hears a mr2 box in a earlier shape 323 with same 1.8turbo

http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=57191&start=15

http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=48661

• 2 weeks later...
hey hows things?

248kw atw and not a single gearbox issue at all, unless you abuse your car the stock gearbox will hold up just fine.

Are you referring to me you ***** lol !!!