"People who type in a hybrid text messaging format."

Dead

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to admit I was saddened to see it go quiet last night. I thought there was going to be more...entertainment.

I have something to share though. At lunchtime I'll do some research on something and post it up in here. I'll try and be as in depth as possible, but basically it will be addressing the evolution of the English language from as early as the 1300's and onwards.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL you guys are full sooking about the way people type on these forums'

harden the fk up LOL if you see it - dont read it then

i dont get why you have to write paragraphs after paragraphs - like i said im not gunna change LOL i doubt anyone else who types "lazy" will as well

sure it might be a problem in society but what can one man or shall i say one internet forum do LOL

You write pretty well for an advocate to the illiterate :whistling::whistling: The point here is not that we don't like occasional "lazy" language (as you put it). but wen u type lk dis all da tyme wif no punctuation at all it gets kinda annoying no wat i mean? It makes you sound like a dumb red neck yokle. but then again, most of the time people (aka ppl) who type like this don't say much of value on this forum anyway. :whistling::whistling:

You write pretty well for an advocate to the illiterate :whistling::whistling: The point here is not that we don't like occasional "lazy" language (as you put it). but wen u type lk dis all da tyme wif no punctuation at all it gets kinda annoying no wat i mean? It makes you sound like a dumb red neck yokle. but then again, most of the time people (aka ppl) who type like this don't say much of value on this forum anyway. :whistling::whistling:

Touche...

qkslvr is my new best friend :P

If we look at the evolutionary cycles of the English language, we are presented with some subtle, and some sudden changes. The transition from Old English to Middle English in the year 1066 saw the transition into something that resembles what we see today in terms of English, if ever so slightly. Prior to 1066, Old English involved the use of runic glyphs prior to the introduction of the latin alphabet, which could be argued to be the end stepping stone towards Middle English. Ultimately, 1066 was the turning point from the germanic / viking / celt overtones of Old English, to the more modernised form of English, Middle English.

Below is an example of Middle English compared to that of Modern English:

Whan that Aprill with his shoures sote

The droghte of Marche hath perced to the rote,

And bathed euery veyne in swich licour,

Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth

Inspired hath in euery holt and heeth

The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne

Hath in the Ram his halfe course yronne,

And smale fowles maken melodye,

That slepen al the niȝt with open ye—

So priketh hem Nature in hir corages—

Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,

And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,

To ferne halwes, couthe in sondry londes;

And specially, from euery shires ende

Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende,

The holy blissful martir for to seke,

That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seke.

Translations:

When April with its sweet showers

has pierced the dryness of March to the root,

and bathed every vein in such liquor

from whose power the flower is engendered;

when Zephyr [the west wind] also, with his sweet breath

has brought forth in every wood and heath

the tender crops, and the young sun

has run his half-course in the sign of the Ram,

and small fowls make melody,

who sleep all night with open eye—

so Nature stimulates them in their hearts—

then people long to go on pilgrimages,

and palmers [pilgrims carrying palm leaves] to seek strange strands [coastlines],

to far-off hallows [holy places], known in various lands;

and especially, from every shire's end

in England, to Canterbury they wend [go],

to seek the holy blissful martyr

who had helped them when they were sick.

The question I pose is this:

"Are mobiles phones and the internet going to be the root cause in another shift in the evolutionary cycle of English?"

Lord help us if it is.

References: Wiki.

like i said im not gunna change LOL i doubt anyone else who types "lazy" will as well

Yeah fair enough... They are happy working at KFC for the rest of their lives.

Edited by Tayles

I hope my post hasn't scared anyone. I would say that it's only a possibility at the moment. There's a slim chance that this micronised, disjointed and overly obscure form of writing will ever be adopted.

Judging by the graph that is.

Talking with some of the business managers in my company yesterday, it was revealed that some of them have been receiving job applications where people have been using this hybrid language in their cover letters.... I mean, doing it at school or on an internet forum is one thing, but actually ruining your chances at employment because you think this sort of garbage is acceptable in everyday life?

Talking with some of the business managers in my company yesterday, it was revealed that some of them have been receiving job applications where people have been using this hybrid language in their cover letters.... I mean, doing it at school or on an internet forum is one thing, but actually ruining your chances at employment because you think this sort of garbage is acceptable in everyday life?

And why do they type as such??

Because it becomes a habit via mediums such as this. Communicate like that often enough - and every time you hit the keyboard thereafter will involve using that style of language unconsciously.

And why do they type as such??

Because it becomes a habit via mediums such as this. Communicate like that often enough - and every time you hit the keyboard thereafter will involve using that style of language unconsciously.

BINGO

IIIIIIIIIIIIIDUNNO.. anywayz, whatever happens.. long live TOCAU.

even if there was no TOCAU id still be driving a toyota.. although my car would have probebly stayed stock if it wasnt for this forum..

And your wallet bountiful :)

Ok, so a mistake was made with the spelling of "write off" in another thread today.

It was written as would be pronounced in the Australian drawl - "ride off". No biggie - relatively easy mistake to make, I guess.

It does, however, reinforce the notion agreed upon by Tayles and myself (about 6 posts above): that turning a blind eye to bad language habits results in those habits permeating formal communications.

Ok, so a mistake was made with the spelling of "write off" in another thread today.

It was written as would be pronounced in the Australian drawl - "ride off". No biggie - relatively easy mistake to make, I guess.

It does, however, reinforce the notion agreed upon by Tayles and myself (about 6 posts above): that turning a blind eye to bad language habits results in those habits permeating formal communications.

you never stop do you?

you never stop do you?

Oh for crying out loud, have you not read the title of this thread??

Did I make any personal references?

I made an academic (ish) observation earlier on - and backed up my claim yesterday. You have been the biggest preacher to me of "if you dont like it then dont read it STFU lololz" - well now I am giving you almost the same advice:

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute, whether it be a justification of bad language, or contradictory evidence to any claims made (such as the one you have replied to), then stop posting in this thread. Period.

FFS! :nono:

you never stop do you?

Oh for crying out loud, have you not read the title of this thread??

Did I make any personal references?

I made an academic (ish) observation earlier on - and backed up my claim yesterday. You have been the biggest preacher to me of "if you dont like it then dont read it STFU lololz" - well now I am giving you almost the same advice:

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute, whether it be a justification of bad language, or contradictory evidence to any claims made (such as the one you have replied to), then stop posting in this thread. Period.

FFS! :nono:

is this relevant? i thought this forum was about general disscussions about cars (TOYOTA CARS), but it jus sounds like bunch of whinging GRONKS, who like 2 type about pussy ****!!!!

how we choose 2 type, speak, read is up 2 any individuals. is it really nesscary 2 get "keyboard techincal" over how any person choose 2 type!!!!!!!

does ur ear hurt wen u hear ppl talk slang???? or r u gng 2 advise them on how 2 speak aswell......

my vote (although i dont care): TALK ABOUT CAR'S!!!!!