"People who type in a hybrid text messaging format."

Dead

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd consider this, a quenching of my curiosity so to speak.

Is Tocau being overrun with grammar that makes your eyes hurt just looking at it?

Now be honest. Come and play. Discuss.

NOTE: My web browser is being difficult at the moment, so a poll can't be set up.

EDIT: Ahh... there we go.

Edited by bADbOYz

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with people for whom English is their second language.

My problem lies with morons who choose to type in some hybrid text messaging format, and think it gives them cred.

That is nothing but ignorance and a disregard of common standards...

I dont get your poll. Which answer means "speak proper english, with grammar so I can read your sentences"?

Clearly the second option is for you, because you'd be sawing your legs off before you condoned the use of 'kewl talk lik dis yo' on tocau.

After the revival of a certain thread, by yours truly, earlier today, and the s**tfight that ensued with a certain member in another thread tonight, I propose the following:

Just as blatantly unacceptable entries to the buy/sell pages are deleted by the mods, so too should blatantly incoherent "one sentence paragraphs" be deleted from the rest of forum banter.

I am not referring to abbreviations in 'txt spk', or random humorous entries - I mean an entry which clearly shows no regard for the comma, question mark, caps lock or full stop keys on the keyboard.

Anyone think this is is unreasonable?

Edited by Leroy

lolcats33.jpg

Rob this thread is pointless... the mob has spoken http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...t=0&start=0

I'm looking at them in two different contexts. The other thread seems to be enriching the fact that people are lazy with the way they type on the internet (a mere observation on my half).

This poll was set out to determine whether or not the vast majority on Tocau are fanatics of 'cool speak'. 'Cool speak' shouldn't be confused with sheer laziness with typing, more so, the subject in question strives to conceive a word which is not too indifferent from it's host (ie: cool = kewl). Note that although the spelling is indeed incorrect, the tonal qualities of its sound are still retained.

It's my belief that the subject attains a creative glow within themselves upon doing this as it breaks tradition. They love Anarchy. If we observe todays youth then we would see groups, not individuals. The groups feed off each other in order to appease the following:

1. Their appearance (which mostly involves long fringes and alternate clothing)

2. Their taste in Music (constantly scrutinized weekly so it seems)

3. Ensuring that they continually fit with each other in order to commune best for the greater good of their chosen group

4. Making sure that their Anarchy g.o.d is satisfied at all times (this would most likely resemble a 'half man / half goat' entity carrying a Kisschasey album and a vast array of fake tattoos outlining how much pain they feel because they are alive and can't be with their chosen partner)

This, of course, is a mere observation on my half though. I don't love or hate anyone because of their beliefs or ideals. That would be just wrong mmkay.

Edited by bADbOYz

im on my mobile on my lunchbreak so please excuse d spelling n grammar. I managed 2 watch most of a recent repeat of "insight" on sbs. The topic was manners & language in 2days society or somethin of that nature. Apparently txt & kewl language are slowly but surely being accepted by exam markers in the yr12 hsc cos so many students think it is acceptable, normal & isnt even regarded as rude/innapropriate! Some 30 odd yrs ago some dude tried getting language 2 basically "spell it the way you say it" and now its happening again!

Edited by JJCRU23R

btw i vote 4 gud spelling.

EDIT:

To elaborate on this statement (now im on a pc), If I am going to be faced with marking 18-25 high school level essays, all containing KEWL language then im going to spontaneously combust!

My personal/professional opinion is that there is definately a time and a place for those methods of the english language. Our language and culture is constantly evolving and always has - you just have to look at the slight differences in accents and colloquialisms between Sydneys "westies" vs those who live in the Northern suburbs.

That being said, if you are a youngin' that leans towards using KEWL language than choosing to use the proper spelling (EVEN IF YOU SAY YOU CAN PROPERLY SPELL), please consider that there are those in here who are anywhere upto 10 years or older than you, that come from a different generation of education and social standards, yet still have a common interest in all things Toyota related, just like you.

Therefore, please do the right thing in the common interest of the forum and choose the most common mode of the English language which all members should understand.

I would go further as to make new members tick a box for reading and accepting terms and conditions of joining the club to include proper, acceptable spelling in order to participate in the forums.

I understand this is only an online forum and we are all free to express our opinions as we see fit and this isnt HSC english class, so the odd spelling mistake would and should be forgiven, but I do believe if we want to express our views on the forum it has to be understood by EVERYONE that reads it - that means as close to correct spelling as possible.

Edited by JJCRU23R

Therefore, please do the right thing in the common interest of the forum and choose the most common mode of the English language which all members should understand.

I would go further as to make new members tick a box for reading and accepting terms and conditions of joining the club to include proper, acceptable spelling in order to participate in the forums.

JJCRU23R, you clearly have the right idea.

Spelling mistakes - we all make them, especially typing as fast as possible to get your posts up - are not the problem. They can be forgiven. I can also understand 'kewl' talk on a mobile phone (and ONLY on a mobile phone) where the user saves time and reduces their phone costs by writing in shorthand.

But 'dat gd spking like dis kk', as the standard of communication, does no more than seriously enforce the stereotype that generation Y has no regard for what should be common graces and virtues.

Edited by Leroy

Yeah, 'tis a disappointing turnout.

However, it has still averaged around 80% in favour of 'proper English' at any given time of day...

Therefore, I demand to know if anything will be done to facilitate proper English moderation.

Edited by Leroy

grammar: rules given to structure the sentence

without that word he missed his sentence isnt structured properly

hehe

He didn't break any structuring rules.. I'll say it again, he missed a word

without that word he missed his sentence isnt structured properly

Now, THAT is poor structure... not one bit of punctuation. The word I missed - I missed my sentence - sentence isn't structured - I miss my sentence [being] structured properly; all 4 of those could be inferred via that line. Which one was it? (Don't answer - I know what you meant. This is not to be another fight.)

Gold :toast: Cheers, Jimroy.

Ok, so I missed a word... but this is not the point of this thread. This thread is about the potential elimination of 'txt' of 'kewl' speak (not per se, but those entries with very little english at all) from these pages.

Mrs.Sportivo, I'm not here to nitpick - that was done with in another thread over a week ago. If you have an intelligible view on the subject (or have not yet voted) please post it up in coherent fashion.

The question then remains - if 80% of this forum, thus far, would rather not use the style of communication in question, is there to be anything done to prevent using it? Or will we just have to take solace in the fact that 80% of the members will hopefully not use it, and just be tolerant of the other (potentially ignorant) 20%?

Edited by Leroy

please dont let this be "keyboard warriors 2!" i hate sequals

im sorry to say this, but id rather have the proper english typing majority address the issue directly to the offending member via PM if not publicly, referring back to previous threads where weve talked about this.

Edited by JJCRU23R

please dont let this be "keyboard warriors 2!" i hate sequals

im sorry to say this, but id rather have the proper english typing majority address the issue directly to the offending member via PM if not publicly, referring back to previous threads where weve talked about this.

haha... but sometimes the sequel is the superior!

Anyhow, addressing this one particular member was done in the original Keyboard Warriors - to little avail. What would be the point of filling their inbox?

That would then mean that future offenders would have to be dealt with via PM - again, a possibly fruitless venture.

Hence, I guess, why Badboyz created this poll - to gauge to what extent the community regards or disregards improper language on the forum.

MR22ZZ created a guide to the English language, as pointed out by Tayles, so people could have a point of reference if they were unsure of their grammar etc. As pointed out by Micky Tee, however, not too many people read or contributed to that thread. Furthermore, that guide has now turned into a phrasebook of weird and wonderful sayings - so that, if it is even used at all, people can decipher posts in various dialects of 'street type' and slang; rather than use it to improve the readability of their posts.

Noone, including myself (would you believe :P ), is trying to turn this into the Spanish Inquisition! But, once again, I liken this to the Buy and Sell pages. If you haven't contributed to Toca, you are not allowed to sell stuff. People shouldn't have to refer to the aforementioned phrasebook to decipher posts - so if you are not going to make half an effort to speak properly, you shouldn't be allowed to post! Noone gives a toss about the odd bit of txt or spelling mistakes - this notion is purely directed towards people 'who make hole lines like dis cos dey cant be bovered 2 typ gd like cos its gr8 kk haha stfu if u dont like da way i spk get fked yeah that turboz is sick huh how much does 1 cost cos i want for ma car too hehe'

Even your good self, only a few posts above, JJCRU23R, politely asked younger members to speak in a manner so that the generations above could understand. You even went so far as to suggest acceptance of good English in Toca's terms and conditions! Whilst I hope it wouldn't come down to that as a future justification for banning members, it actually isn't such a bad idea...

Edited by Leroy

IIIIIIIIIIIIIDUNNO.. anywayz, whatever happens.. long live TOCAU.

even if there was no TOCAU id still be driving a toyota.. although my car would have probebly stayed stock if it wasnt for this forum..