Aurions and P-Platers

I guess the title speaks for it self, can a p-plater(Victorian) drive an aurion or would it be considered too high powered?

I have seen a few p-plater in sportivos in my area, but then again you see p-platers driving restricted high powered cars all the time! So they could just be doing it illegally.

Thanks guys

Edited by montyjames

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your in NSW the rules are -

No forced induction

No BMW M series

No V8

No Audi TT

There is a list on the RTA website which shows veichels you cant drive (NA) and cars you can drive (TURBO).

If you are in a different state - Ignore my reply

Thanks, but I guess I should have specified that i'm in melbourne! Ill edit the post! I checked over the VICROADS site but couldn't find any lists maybe im just missing it

Edited by montyjames

if thats the case

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licens...werVehicles.htm

Taken from the site

From this date a probationary licence holder will not be able to drive a vehicle if it has:

* An engine of eight or more cylinders;

* a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles);

* an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or

* any of the following high performance six cylinder vehicles as published in the

Government Gazette:

Make Model Release Year/s Cylinders

BMW M 1998 6

BMW M3 1994 - 2004 6

BMW M5 1990 6

BMW Z4 2006 onwards 6

Nissan 350Z 2002 onwards V6

Honda NSX 2 Door Coupe 1991 – 2002 V6

Porsche 911 1993 - 2006 6

Porsche Boxster 1999 - 2006 6

Porsche Cayman 2006 onwards 6

Mercedes Benz SLK 350 2004 onwards V6

Mercedes Benz C350 2005 onwards V6

Mercedes Benz C36 1995 6

Just to clarify... will you be getting the TRD Aurion?

No a TRD Aurion is definelty not allowed to be driven by a P plater. Looking through that site it works at a 125kw per tonne power to weight ratio and the TRD is far to powerful. I think the normal aurion only just makes that ratio.

Just to clarify... will you be getting the TRD Aurion?

No a TRD Aurion is definelty not allowed to be driven by a P plater. Looking through that site it works at a 125kw per tonne power to weight ratio and the TRD is far to powerful. I think the normal aurion only just makes that ratio.

yea dats tru coz b4 i bought my aurion i was looking up da ratio in da vicroads website n it was just beneath da limit at 124kw

I think the KW/Tonne is the measurement you should be asking urself if your on the legality side of things, Though Im sure some police wouldnt know the kw/tonne or many cars that a re hipowered and let you get away with some.

Like on that list an S2K is not mentioned and that goes way past the ratio.

Id like to know the new Accord power to weight though...

Edited by AcoustiK

I think the KW/Tonne is the measurement you should be asking urself if your on the legality side of things, Though Im sure some police wouldnt know the kw/tonne or many cars that a re hipowered and let you get away with some.

Surely the Police would know that a car like say the Aurion is packing 200KW, It was like a mate who drives a BA XR6, he got pulled over one day and the police asked for the cars manual so they could check power/weight. The Aurion is like 124kw/tonne I think thats correct if i'm right in saying it weighs 1610kgs?

Not that it worries me as I am in NSW and just a bit past the whole P plate thing but isn't the Aurion ATX kerb weight 1590Kg and the power is 200kw or 125.78kw per tonne and that is OVER the 125kw per tonne? I mean these are the numbers you get from the Aurion website anyway!

Not that it worries me as I am in NSW and just a bit past the whole P plate thing but isn't the Aurion ATX kerb weight 1590Kg and the power is 200kw or 125.78kw per tonne and that is OVER the 125kw per tonne? I mean these are the numbers you get from the Aurion website anyway!

But the Sportivos weigh more I think, so then its ok. According to wikipedia the weights of the Aurion range from 1590 kg (3505 lb)–1630 kg (3594 lb)

Just load some extra sand bags in the boot until your off your P's . . . that will bring the power to weight down :yahoo:

From the Toyota website:

SX6 kerb wight 1,615kg

ZR6 kerb weight 1,630kg

Presara kerb weight 1,625kg

Prodigy kerb weight 1,610kg

AT-X kerb weight 1,590kg

Edited by Danos

if thats the case

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licens...werVehicles.htm

Taken from the site

From this date a probationary licence holder will not be able to drive a vehicle if it has:

* An engine of eight or more cylinders;

* a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles);

* an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or

* any of the following high performance six cylinder vehicles as published in the

Government Gazette:

BMW M 1998 6

BMW M3 1994 - 2004 6

BMW M5 1990 6

BMW Z4 2006 onwards 6

Mercedes Benz C36 1995 6

And a P-Plater can afford these cars??? :huh:

And a P-Plater can afford these cars??? :huh:

No But DAD probably can. Have a look round Uni car parks these days and it's a bit sad. When I was at unit in the 70's when it was free by the way I rode a cheap ****y motorbike. these days Uni costs heaps but there seems to be no shortage of wealthy studnets probably fee paying from overseas i guess.

Surely the Police would know that a car like say the Aurion is packing 200KW, It was like a mate who drives a BA XR6, he got pulled over one day and the police asked for the cars manual so they could check power/weight. The Aurion is like 124kw/tonne I think thats correct if i'm right in saying it weighs 1610kgs?

As you said the police didnt know the the weight of the car. And likewise you dont always carry your manual with you in the car.

and as per jonbays, different models weigh differently so cops tend to go 'errrmmm' in this area unless the car is blatently obviously a HiPo car.

if you have got your P's before the aurion hit the market, you have no problems. however if you have got your P's after the aurion has come out, then you will have to look at the 125kw per tonne rule. and if its less than or equal to 125 you are good. if its more which i think it is, then no chance of driving it on your p's. thats all i know.

i know in wa its pretty much if u can turn the ignition key u can drive it my mate had an evo 2 lancer with cams, puter, exhaust and more boost the thing was insane he was on his p's, i had a hilux with v6 commo engine in it and that was fine and another mate had a gtr skyline with a little bit extra is it only wa thats like this

i know in wa its pretty much if u can turn the ignition key u can drive it my mate had an evo 2 lancer with cams, puter, exhaust and more boost the thing was insane he was on his p's, i had a hilux with v6 commo engine in it and that was fine and another mate had a gtr skyline with a little bit extra is it only wa thats like this

From what I heard, is that in WA you can buy a Modification permit, and with that you can mod the shyte out of your car with no worries. you would ensure that the mods DOESNT

reduces the strength of the vehicle body

reduces the controllability of the vehicle

otherwise reduces the safety of the vehicle

causes a nuisance or danger to other people.

Edited by AcoustiK

From what I heard, is that in WA you can buy a Modification permit, and with that you can mod the shyte out of your car with no worries. you would ensure that the mods DOESNT

reduces the strength of the vehicle body

reduces the controllability of the vehicle

otherwise reduces the safety of the vehicle

causes a nuisance or danger to other people.

The DPI in WA states that any modifications to your car need to be put through the pits, otherwise the cops can give you the yellow sticker: linky

what kinda P platers can buy these cars anyway? lol unless they have nice mummy and daddy :P

BMW M 1998 6

BMW M3 1994 - 2004 6

BMW M5 1990 6

BMW Z4 2006 onwards 6