Aurions and P-Platers

I think down here in Melbourne I am absolutely sick of having to even share the road with many P-platers... the amount of inconsideration, the consistent speeding and the constant tempting of fate absolute infuriates me sometimes! Numerous times heading home from a friends place at like 10pm along Princes Hwy I am just trying to have a casual drive, sticking to the speed limit etc, and then I get P-platers in a commodore or falcon filled with their mates speeding up next to me with an exhaust bigger than the bumper... sit equal with me and either try to drag me, cut me off, or in about 3 cases - I actually had them purposely trying to push me into the car in the lane across from me just so I will have to flog it to give them the sense that I am dragging!!! There are so many words I could use to describe my real thoughts on these types of people, but for the sake of the others here... I won't go that far! In short, I would love nothing more to see them wrap around a pole (which I laughed like crazy when I actually saw one of them who actually did this after harassing me just further up the road! They got what they deserved for that IMO)... better than somebody else like myself who is just trying to mind my own business and not be harassed by the absolute idiots on the road. I much prefer the L-platers, who I feel generally apart from lack of skills and generally driving slowly - they are at least careful and comparatively safe drivers.

It's about time the rules were far stricter for this sort of behavior. Anybody who drives like this should have their car crushed just like the proposal put forward in NSW a while back.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think down here in Melbourne I am absolutely sick of having to even share the road with many P-platers... the amount of inconsideration, the consistent speeding and the constant tempting of fate absolute infuriates me sometimes! Numerous times heading home from a friends place at like 10pm along Princes Hwy I am just trying to have a casual drive, sticking to the speed limit etc, and then I get P-platers in a commodore or falcon filled with their mates speeding up next to me with an exhaust bigger than the bumper... sit equal with me and either try to drag me, cut me off, or in about 3 cases - I actually had them purposely trying to push me into the car in the lane across from me just so I will have to flog it to give them the sense that I am dragging!!! There are so many words I could use to describe my real thoughts on these types of people, but for the sake of the others here... I won't go that far! In short, I would love nothing more to see them wrap around a pole (which I laughed like crazy when I actually saw one of them who actually did this after harassing me just further up the road! They got what they deserved for that IMO)... better than somebody else like myself who is just trying to mind my own business and not be harassed by the absolute idiots on the road. I much prefer the L-platers, who I feel generally apart from lack of skills and generally driving slowly - they are at least careful and comparatively safe drivers.

It's about time the rules were far stricter for this sort of behavior. Anybody who drives like this should have their car crushed just like the proposal put forward in NSW a while back.

i think you're painting a rather bleak image of p-platers. granted, there are a lot of throttle-happy dickheads out there who still haven't gotten over fast and the furious. having said that, however, a lot of p-platers are pretty mature drivers. i'm a p-plater myself, and i'm sure the majority of p-platers agree with me when i say that we get pretty ****** off that we're seen as hoons at the mere sight of a big p on the front windscreen. as with everything else in this world, its the minority that spoil it for the majority.

I dont understand how it can matter whether the car has 200kw or 100kw. A vehicle is a lethal weapon used incorrectly no matter what its power output.

I learnt to drive in a 351 XC ford falcon that was never beaten on the quarter mile. The power in that car was insane. Now that im older I think about all the stupid risks I took and what could of happened to me, or worse....others!!!

Simple fact...when your young you have no fear. Thats the problem and how the hell do you change that???

i think you're painting a rather bleak image of p-platers. granted, there are a lot of throttle-happy dickheads out there who still haven't gotten over fast and the furious. having said that, however, a lot of p-platers are pretty mature drivers. i'm a p-plater myself, and i'm sure the majority of p-platers agree with me when i say that we get pretty ****** off that we're seen as hoons at the mere sight of a big p on the front windscreen. as with everything else in this world, its the minority that spoil it for the majority.

pity u.. :(

yea, i agree some P are just innocent.. like me(1 year ago) :rolleyes:

When I 1st got my licence about nearly 10 years ago... I vividly remembered my 1st near accident... <_<

My mum wanted me to display the P on the car (Camry), we went shoping and as we were approaching the roundabout around Chemside area (forgot the road since i've move down to the south...) this reckless (even older Camry) lady driver over took me with 15 metres to the roundabout cutting into my lane from the right...

I had to hit the brakes and the my Camry nearly rear ended her's as she also braked once she cut in front of me... any Camry driver knows that the 93-98 model base Camry Executive came with only front disc brakes and rear drums... and that was one hell of a hair raising near accident...

I was doing 60 all along obliging the road rules...

Needless to say I took off the P plate as soon as I got home... never had any problems since... :)

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/in...Specifications/

New Accord V6 are claiming 202kW @ 6200rpm | 339Nm @ 5000rpm with a weight of either 1615kg for standard or 1650kg for the luxury . . . So 125kW/tonne

Looking at this months wheels mag which as flawed as it sometimes is the stats are normally pretty good the Honda accord they test drove was 92kW/tonne..

Just for the record what is it for the Aurion??

Edited by mrdau

this reckless (even older Camry) lady driver over took me with 15 metres to the roundabout cutting into my lane from the right...

Needless to say I took off the P plate as soon as I got home... never had any problems since... :)

its been 8 years since but I do remember things like that when I was a P plater

certainly doesn't encourage P platers to stick to the speed limit

Looking at this months wheels mag which as flawed as it sometimes is the stats are normally pretty good the Honda accord they test drove was 92kW/tonne..

that might have been the 4 cylinder Accord, or maybe they used gross weight?

Aurion A-TX is

200kW power

1540kg tare

1590kg kerb

2110kg gross

= 95, 125, or 130kW/tonne ?

the last two ratio is typically assosicated with "hot hatch" lol

this reckless (even older Camry) lady driver over took me with 15 metres to the roundabout cutting into my lane from the right...

its been 8 years since but I do remember things like that when I was a P plater

certainly doesn't encourage P platers to stick to the speed limit

that might have been the 4 cylinder Accord, or maybe they used gross weight?

Aurion A-TX is

200kW power

1540kg tare

1590kg kerb

2110kg gross

= 95, 125, or 130kW/tonne ?

the last two ratio is typically assosicated with "hot hatch" lol

Sorry for my naiveity but which weight do you typically take it off of...

Well, it's not a generalisation about p-platers, it is a story based on my experience with a number of them. Similar events do happen on occasion with full-licensed drivers, but almost 90% of the time it is a P-plater.

I will agree that there are many p-platers out there who are good drivers, but when it comes to stuffing around and driving dangerously, it is almost every time that a p-plater is involved.

When I 1st got my licence about nearly 10 years ago... I vividly remembered my 1st near accident... <_<

My mum wanted me to display the P on the car (Camry), we went shoping and as we were approaching the roundabout around Chemside area (forgot the road since i've move down to the south...) this reckless (even older Camry) lady driver over took me with 15 metres to the roundabout cutting into my lane from the right...

I had to hit the brakes and the my Camry nearly rear ended her's as she also braked once she cut in front of me... any Camry driver knows that the 93-98 model base Camry Executive came with only front disc brakes and rear drums... and that was one hell of a hair raising near accident...

I know that feeling all too well also, but from back on L's mostly, and occasionally on P's. Often I would be coming along to a merge lane (i would be in the lane that continues straight), and probably at least 1-2 days of the week I would be heading along straight, and I would have a full-license (typically ute driver oddly enough) who would purposely just sit equal with me right up till the merge, and gradually move closer and closer until i was forced into the next lane. It was always the same few cars too (I would drive the same way and park at the same station daily, so it was a regular route). I tried everything from absolutely flooring it trying to get ahead, but they would do the same, and at one stage i tried to brake hard and they would do the same too. Doesn't help that at the time I only had my old 1990 TP Magna, which although is decent with torque, has absolutely no power to get-up-and-go!

I don't know why people can drive like this at times, but it is just dangerous and blatant disregard for common courtesy and safety. I would have driven in a different lane, except that the left turn was always shortly after there, so that was never an option. I ended up driving a different way every day instead just to avoid that situation. This alternative was to drive an extra 10 mins to the next station...

Another strange experience I had as a P plater was driving along a freeway and having a bunch of trucks box me in the middle... I have to this day never worked out their motive for that, but it didn't really bother me too much as it was just a straight clear road. I could clearly see the drivers looking down at me and laugh... Nothing went wrong with that experience, but it does seem that in many cases, other drivers are just out to pick on u as a young driver sometimes...

I think from all those strange experiences though, I have become more aware to watch other drivers and try to predict what will happen before it does. It is really the only way to feel safe on the roads, is to simply plan in advance I think.

I dont understand how it can matter whether the car has 200kw or 100kw. A vehicle is a lethal weapon used incorrectly no matter what its power output.

I learnt to drive in a 351 XC ford falcon that was never beaten on the quarter mile. The power in that car was insane. Now that im older I think about all the stupid risks I took and what could of happened to me, or worse....others!!!

Simple fact...when your young you have no fear. Thats the problem and how the hell do you change that???

My dad always taught me when i was learning to drive... "Any Idiot can drive a car fast, or accelerate hard. But a Truly experienced driver, knows how to stop it in a hurry"

good advice....

My dad always taught me when i was learning to drive... "Any Idiot can drive a car fast, or accelerate hard. But a Truly experienced driver, knows how to stop it in a hurry"

good advice....

Most (not all) but most p-platers arent experienced, but yes still very good advice from your dad. :D

I would say that I experience a minimum of 7-8 p-platers every morning and afternoon, 5 days a week when I drop my son off to highschool. I learnt very very quickly to arrive early to drop him off and late to pick him up if I wish for myself and my car to leave unscathed. :(

I still cannot see that limiting the kw will make a major difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... First post... probably not the best first post but anyway.

I just bought a 2007 Aurion Sportivo SX6 yesterday, fantastic drive... Took it for a test drive, got carried away and came back an hour later to sign the forms.

Anyway, I am also a P plater, I'm 26 years old and never really had the urge to get my license before I met my now wife and got into four wheel driving (In a landcruiser none the less) I bought my own 4runner just before I got my P's which was suitable for a while, but I needed a bit more off road capability, so I bought a Nissan Patrol (sorry guys) and wanted to sell the 4runner... A decent offer came along where a bloke wanted to trade a nicely modded (mostly visual, not power) VS Commodore for the 4runner and needing a daily drive I took it up.

Now I've been driving around in this Commodore for a year now, sadly, as per normal with the holden build quality the suspension is starting to give out on me and the gearbox finds more neutral than gear so I thought it was time to upgrade. Having looked around at cars in my price range it came down to a choice between two cars... A brand new Lancer VR-X or a near new Aurion SX6, having driven them both, I made the decision on the Aurion.

Now, sorry about the long winded lead up to my point, but I thought some background would make things a bit better. In response to a couple of points:

1> P plater affording an Aurion, without going into specific details of my income, I can assure you all that this vehicle is definitely something an older P plater can afford and before you call me a special case, its a lot more common these days for people to get their license a bit later in life than in the past. Several of my mates have waited and personally I'm thankful I did, not only have I not even come close to causing an accident (I've been rear ended at lights after having sat there for 2 minutes... by a P plater sadly) but I have no driving offenses and less urge to 'hoon' than the average P plater would. I still have a bit of fun from time to time, but destroying an $800 set of tyres doesn't really have all that much appeal. :)

2> The Aurion is a really really nice drive. :)

3> I think like any body any where there are bad examples of people who have P plates. These days with the tougher licensing laws you see a lot more of us on the road. My father only took a few days to get his license, it now takes us (atleast in NSW) 4 years from go to wo (1 year Ls, 1 year reds, 2 years greens) - Expect to see a lot more P platers on the road and yes, like fully licensed drivers, some of them should not be on the road, but thats no reason to want to see them dead (Sad fact of the matter is, they are more likely to kill someone else than themselves)

I'm sure there are a lot of other points that can be touched on, but none the less, I think that there is a lot of generalization taking place in this thread. Not all P platers are bad, nor are they 17-18 year olds with hotted up commodores that go everywhere at 150kph.

Anyway... Hi guys! :)

Edited by Wulfkind

Okay... First post... probably not the best first post but anyway.

I just bought a 2007 Aurion Sportivo SX6 yesterday, fantastic drive... Took it for a test drive, got carried away and came back an hour later to sign the forms.

Anyway... Hi guys! :)

Congratulations on the purchase mate.. You won't be dissappointed i assure you.

I've got a couple of angles on this thread...the way it's going at least.

I got my car license at 31. Spent many years in the inner city, studying at uni. The push bike was my mode of transport, other than public transport. I did get my motorcycle license when I was 23/24. I think I have developed a road sense that's saved my hide on numerous occasions.

From the point of view of the motorcyclist, many drivers are insane, not just P platers. FWD's with mum's picking up kids and tradies on the move are the two "groups" I see on the phone, even texting whilst driving. It's a daily sight for me. Every f***ing day :angry: . Almost from day one on the road, I have taken the view to look for trouble, avoid the usual circumstances eg blind spots, and utilise a mixture of offensive and defensive techniques. [knock on wood]So far, so good...[/knock on wood]

I have escaped the dreaded rear-ender twice. You guessed it, a mum with kids and a tradie in a small truck. He did clip me using evasive steering. Now, I will always filter to the front, b/w cars to get to the front. It's not to be first in line, it's to be out in front, and more safely protected from behind...I don't routinely ride high hp squid bikes, and I'm not delusional about my skills. I'm not Mick Doohan and nor will I wear lollipop leathers that make me look like Mick Doohan.

Aurion drivers are, of course, very courteous and all drive with perfect road manners. ;)

The point of all this...perspective. We will see what is important to us, as individual drivers. Unfortunately, the roads are full of other individual drivers, many of them have no idea anyone else exists. Take care.

Edited by boxerboy

I agree, although some P-platers are ok, others think they are just it, thinking they are the best drivers in the world. They get too confident.

• 1 year later...
what kinda P platers can buy these cars anyway? lol unless they have nice mummy and daddy

A P plater who knows how to save ;)

I own my car. :)

As for problems with the cops... Only the occasional one that can't tell the difference between a TRD (Supercharged) and a Sportivo... Get left alone ALOT more than when I had my commodore.