TRD CAI problem

I know this is quite common, but my silicon rubber elbow that connects the CAI to the throttle body has just torn the whole way around. I noticed because my idle was rough and I kept stalling when cold.

It clearly had insufficient give and it's not becuase I overtightened the clamps - this was mentiooned as a no-no way back by several on the forums. What I want to know is, whether there are enough of us to gather info and maybe have a word to Bruce.

Also, now I need to know how you guys replaced the part and what with?

How many of you have had this problem?

Bruce I have let you know of 3 that I know of up here.

Peekay have you had anything back from the guys in Vic?

I have also noticed that the eblow has changed between models and the later version are the ones tending to split :(

It tore at the edge of the throttle body, not the clamp so it seems to me that it was caused by movement of the engine relative to the piping or vice versa. Any chance this could be a warranty issue Bruce? My CAI has only been fitted for a few months...

i had the same thing happen, i think its due to the way its put on as there was nothing wrong with it till a couple of months after i reinstalled it after the recall and it didnt really line it up properly, but i just left it. All i have done to fix it is turn the pipe around as theres plenty of extra hose that goes over the cai pipe aslong as it dosent split again ill be right.

Rollamods the hose isnt reinforced its just a rubber bit of hose

http://www.gcg.com.au/catalogue/Silicon%20...licon_hose.html

http://www.are.com.au/products/silicon%20hoses.htm

For the price of the TRD intake, I would have thought it should come with quality re-enforced hose and the good stainless T bolt clamps.

I remember the silicon hoses i've seen and used for intercooler piping are really tough and thick so it shouldn't tear easy. Not sure if the TRD CAI uses something similar.

Thanks guys, I'm talking to Bruce about it and trying to find a replacement. Here is a pic of the tear in the elbow. Looks like it started at the top, in the middle of the hose and ended up running around the edge of the throttle body...

post-142-1102392398_thumb.jpg