Anyone else have problems parking their Kluger?

rzkman

OK, I am embarrassed to say that I had some 'issues' in the underground parking yesterday.

This is the first time I've owned a car of this size and I am just hoping its a matter of adjustment.

Turning into a spot head first, I just could not find enough space between the concrete column on the right and the car parked on the left.

Could reverse in relatively easily. But for loading/unloading, I would have preferred to go in head first.

On the way out of the car park, I had make a u-turn via an exit lane at the end of the car park. Again I found myself stuck with a concrete column on my left and a concrete wall on the right. Damn embarassing with granny watching me wondering if I was lining her up for the take down or something...eventually had to wait till granny got back into her car and drive off so I could drive through the carspaces to exit!

Any tips?

Wonder how people live with their Hummers...

Hi rzkman. I sort of know how you feel. Always driving small cars it’s a big difference, driving my wife’s RAV helped a little. But taking the Kluger the first week I picked it up for a road trip from Melbourne to Sydney really gave me more confidence with parking and getting used to the overall size of the vehicle. I’m only on my second week and it’s getting easier. It’s like any car you own it just takes time for the car to become a part of your body, which will make it easier to judge.

I can’t really give you any tips, just drive as much as you can and become one with your Kluger :P

Cheers.

Hi Reeza,

You are right in regards to the adjustment. Have been driving a smallish coupe (Nissan 200sx) for the last few years, it certainly has taking some adjusting, not just in tight car parks, but also on the road. Have to take it much slower these days when through tighter spots in traffic. But I have noticed improvement in my judgement over the weeks after picking up the Kluger.

I guess I will have to practice a few more times with those carparks...maybe try a wider arc when turning into spots..

Cheers,

Ray

I found, at first, that I was much further away from obstacles at the front than I thought. I thought that the front sensors weren't working.

After learning to trust the sensors, it is as easy to park as our Camry was; there is not that much difference in size either.

If you don't have parking sensors maybe you should get them. They aren't that expensive.

Our last car was covered in scrapes and dents on the sides from other cars but we never hit any ourselves. It's nice to see that people actually worry about damaging other cars.

I found, at first, that I was much further away from obstacles at the front than I thought. I thought that the front sensors weren't working.

After learning to trust the sensors, it is as easy to park as our Camry was; there is not that much difference in size either.

If you don't have parking sensors maybe you should get them. They aren't that expensive.

Our last car was covered in scrapes and dents on the sides from other cars but we never hit any ourselves. It's nice to see that people actually worry about damaging other cars.

How do the front sensors work? Do they just turn on at slow speeds? Do you remember how much they cost you?

Cheers.

How do the front sensors work? Do they just turn on at slow speeds? Do you remember how much they cost you?

Cheers.

Check the topic "Parking sensors" on the next page of topics. Everthing you need is probably there.

Thanks Mikeyboy, just checked it out, seem like I should have got the fronts instead of the rears. I wonder how much they will trying and sting me as I got the rears on delivery already. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.

I waved this; http://www.chtoyota.com.au/models.php?Seri...Model=5V5511025 at my dealer a couple of times, Castle Hill Toyota show their accessory prices.

That list shows the clearance (front) sensors and includes fitting. So if your dealer tries to go higher, remind them that you bought your car there and would expect to be looked after.

Worked for me, I got my price down from $550 (initial quote) to $397 fitted.

Has anyone tried the idea of adding a rear view camera to the front? Afterall, you have the display there already. Just missing a forward facing camera.

Shouldn't be too hard on a Grande as I assume there will be a fre RGB connection where the reverse camera normally goes. If you have the front sensors, it could even be activated by the same switch and speed sensor.

It could be a bit disorientating as the display will be mirrored. It would probably be obstructed by dead bugs as well.

I waved this; http://www.chtoyota.com.au/models.php?Seri...Model=5V5511025 at my dealer a couple of times, Castle Hill Toyota show their accessory prices.

That list shows the clearance (front) sensors and includes fitting. So if your dealer tries to go higher, remind them that you bought your car there and would expect to be looked after.

Worked for me, I got my price down from $550 (initial quote) to $397 fitted.

can someone tell me what this does it is listed on the above price list ?? (KLUGER AUDIOINPUT FOR SAT NAV $79.20 )

Just got off the phone with my dealer and was quoted $396 + $200 for the install.

I think I'll pass.

Edited by rEEzA

Just got off the phone with my dealer and was quoted $396 + $200 for the install.

I think I'll pass.

I thought I would call back and go the "I just purchased the car from you can you look after me at all on the price" and I got the new price of $455.40 + $200 install. This dealer is a joke, or they really hate me ;)

Might call around. Can anyone make a recommendation for a dealer western suburbs side on Melbourne?

I think I'll pass.

I thought I would call back and go the "I just purchased the car from you can you look after me at all on the price" and I got the new price of $455.40 + $200 install. This dealer is a joke, or they really hate me ;)

Might call around. Can anyone make a recommendation for a dealer western suburbs side on Melbourne?

Just to be fair, I got my sensors fitted at cost price. We had signed the contract, then my wife decided she really wanted the front sensors too. The dealer looked after us in the sense that they promised to add the sensors in at cost.

Even then, there was some funny stuff going on; the first price they gave me was $550 fitted. I innocently said; "Thats funny, Castle Hill Toyota do them for $495 fitted, are you SURE this is your cost price?" They then came back with $397

My tip would be to shop at the bigger delaerships, my dealer admitted that the large dealers get better price breaks on parts cause they sell so many. My regional dealer cant compete with half of the part prices i come back with.

On the way out of the car park, I had make a u-turn via an exit lane at the end of the car park. Again I found myself stuck with a concrete column on my left and a concrete wall on the right. Damn embarassing with granny watching me wondering if I was lining her up for the take down or something...eventually had to wait till granny got back into her car and drive off so I could drive through the carspaces to exit!

Any tips?

Wonder how people live with their Hummers...

I was imaging what you mean....

I said to my wife who try to get in a tight spot in the carpark at Box Hill centro and you know how tight they are.

Wide at the mark (if you are parking left, go to the far right).

Late turn in (and turn fast)

Aim to have the car as quickly straighten while you are inserting to the drawn rectangle of the car park.

... it does sound like car racing. Wide wide wide... late turn in. accelerate (not here <_<)