Its the Toyotaru!

Linkage

Toyota and Subaru are lighting the scented candles, cranking up the Marvin Gaye and settling down for a frantic bout of rear-wheel-drive coupe-making.

It sounds so sick, I want it...now - I hope it happens

Edited by Seano

wait till the next melb motorshow...

Sounds promising...

Mmmmm.... small 4 door/decent 2 door, Rear wheel drive, boxer engine (potentially turbo?? :ph34r: ), Toyota reliability....

= I get one :)

Toyota is rumored to be working on the eighth generation of the Celica. This Celica is projected to be made with the help of Subaru (Toyota owns 8.7% of Fuji Heavy Industries). Reports indicate that the new Celica would come in two trims: a sub-$20,000 200 hp front-engine/rear-wheel-drive GT and a 300 hp front-engine/all-wheel-drive GT-4, using a new Boxer engine, respectively. [2] The next generation Toyota Celica will be available in two versions, a Celica GT and Celica GT-4. The GT should be powered by the 2.0-litre boxer and will be rear-wheel-drive, while the GT-4 receives the 300 hp 2.0-litre boxer from the Impreza WRX STI with Subaru's four-wheel-drive (including in-wheel electric motors for added power on the wheels). Further rumours are that Toyota may return to WRC with the new Celica.

The Toyota Celica will also have two body stylings, first, a true coupe but also a three-door hatchback. There will not be a five-door hatch since that would directly compete with the Subaru Impreza hatch.

The Celica is expected to be built by Subaru at the Gunma plant. Whether the new Celica will ever be available outside of Japan is not yet known

From wiki, the most reliable source on the internets...lul

Oh FFS Rob first you tease us with your good looks and now this... I am drooling over a new 4WD turbo hatch :wub: if they don't build one the Mazda Familia GTR will remain king of hatchbacks forever (and I might have to buy one of those instead)

I assume this is all quoted in US dollars...

Which means sub 20,000 USD = 20,000 AUD with current exchange rates!! muahahaha.... :toast:

Bah, who wants to fork out on 300hp and 4wd?? 200hp and rwd sounds cool to me...rear driving pocket rocket - now there is something the world hasnt seen in a while...

Let's just hope they don't skimp on the interior...

• 1 month later...

More updates on this, curtosy of Wikipedia:

Linky

The rumors about joint development of a rear-wheel-drive sports car by Toyota & Subaru has got the official stamp now. Both Japanese automakers confirmed the news by announcing that they are to jointly develop a affordable, compact RWD performance car. It will be marketed by both Toyota and Subaru and will be based on a Subaru platform but Toyota will design its exterior.

Check out below more details about 2011 Toyota/Subaru RWD sport from around the web.

I've heard of hybrid cars before, but this is something else :P

Just been doing some random reading and it seems that the Toyota-Subaru relationship goes much deeper than just this joint venture. By 2011 we might be spending some time on the Subaru forums (or more likely it seems, they'll be coming to ours) :P

Exciting stuff! Gotta start saving.

• 1 month later...