07 Corolla vs 01 Celica

Guys,

I need to buy a car soon and since selling my Skyline I am looking for an economical NA Toyota.

The car must drink a maximum of 9 litres per 100 KMs. Ideally around 8 litres.

I am 6'4 and want to also be comfortable driving.

So far i was looking at 07 Corolla Conquest and 01 Celica.

Corolla will be boring to drive but it seems more roomy and more economical.

Celica seems more sporty and will go a bit harder, but it looks very small for me.

I havent driven any of them yet, any help?

May as well get the corolla if you want an automatic.

I can't stand seeing a 2zzge mated with an autobox.

i heard the same about auto Skylines and i loved mine in auto... then again I cant stand looking at obese people and Australia has millions... :)

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_55104/titl...ewsarticle.html

Says 9 litres per 100. Thats around 1-2 litres more than Corolla.

What other magazines / brochures say doesn't necessarily equate to the actual thing. I'd say a lot more depending on the way one drives the car as well. I sure as hell don't get 7.8L/100k on my rolla, and I hardly go above 4krev. once every full tank maybe not even so you know...

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_55104/titl...ewsarticle.html

Says 9 litres per 100. Thats around 1-2 litres more than Corolla.

What other magazines / brochures say doesn't necessarily equate to the actual thing. I'd say a lot more depending on the way one drives the car as well. I sure as hell don't get 7.8L/100k on my rolla, and I hardly go above 4krev. once every full tank maybe not even so you know...

Well i got over 450 Kms in my Skyline R33 GTST which was turbo. So thats around 12-13 litres per 100 KMs.

If Celica delivers around 9 or even 10 litres then thats cool, I think it also uses regular unleaded.

May as well get the corolla if you want an automatic.

I can't stand seeing a 2zzge mated with an autobox.

i heard the same about auto Skylines and i loved mine in auto... then again I cant stand looking at obese people and Australia has millions... :)

The 2zz-ge motor is far different to that of an RB25 / 20 (which has more low down torque).

It's a high revving motor. To get it to really move anywhere you must remain in the powerband (6,000rpm - 8200rpm). Toyota coupled a 6 speed close ratio manual box to this motor which worked wonders. An automatic box mated to a motor like this is utterly woeful apparently, and you'll never get the same driveability out of it as you would from a close ratio manual.

I hate it because it isn't functional, and a waste of a good motor. They should have put 1zz-fe's in the auto Celica's in my opinion (no offence Jimmy lul).

LOL @ Rob/Nelson, dude in the US the Celica GT (I think they called it) was fitted with the 1ZZ-FE first and the yanks were worried at its softness until the 2ZZ came out. As a result there were turbo kits made for 1ZZ Celicas over there believe it or not.

This gives me an idea... Modena why don't you buy a ZZE122 series Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine? Same power output as the new ZRE series, lighter (so better fuel economy and faster in my opinion), and you will save a heap on price... Just another option for you to mull around in the old noggin. The new Corolla is ugly and heavy :P

LOL @ Rob/Nelson, dude in the US the Celica GT (I think they called it) was fitted with the 1ZZ-FE first and the yanks were worried at its softness until the 2ZZ came out. As a result there were turbo kits made for 1ZZ Celicas over there believe it or not.

This gives me an idea... Modena why don't you buy a ZZE122 series Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine? Same power output as the new ZRE series, lighter (so better fuel economy and faster in my opinion), and you will save a heap on price... Just another option for you to mull around in the old noggin. The new Corolla is ugly and heavy :P

Can you post a link to or a photo of one please?

Yeah but they're 'all' 2zz's here in Aus aren't they?

Some of those turbo 1zz's over there put up impressive numbers.

For your height and fuel comsumption requirements look at an 03-06 Corolla Levin. 1.8 auto and the Levin has a sporty look with body kit, alloys etc. Still quite economical and should easily achieve your fuel economy requirements of around the 9l per 100km.

I used to be able to achieve high 7's into low 8's per 100km with ease in my Sportivo with the odd lift engagement.

Can you post a link to or a photo of one please?

Click the link to my members ride, go to page 4 ;)

Here you go http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7300

Edited by Tayles