Steering Wheel Audio Controls

-ALFI-

I have totally grown accustom to using my steering wheel audio controls and don’t want to lose them when I get a new head unit (Kenwood DPX-MP3110). I would hate to have spent so much on this car to have something not work, even if it is just a few buttons. The guys a Strathfield have said a unit that attaches to the buttons and sends IR signals to the head unit will cost around $250. That’s pretty rich just to keep my buttons.

Is there another way? Or a cheaper unit on the market?

ooo, if you got the money i would. but why upgrade the unit, doesnt your stock unit come 6stacker mp3?

Yea it does, and its ok for now, but I dont like it. Its ugly, theres alot it does not do (eg- random folder only, not whole disk and terrible EQ) and sounds rubbish (but thats probably the speakers fault). I will definitely be getting the steering wheel button kit when I upgrade, but going to wait until I'm more cashed up and get everything at once. I'm not going to build a system piece by piece again.

ooo, if you got the money i would. but why upgrade the unit, doesnt your stock unit come 6stacker mp3?

Yea it does, and its ok for now, but I dont like it. Its ugly, theres alot it does not do (eg- random folder only, not whole disk and terrible EQ) and sounds rubbish (but thats probably the speakers fault).

From my experience of changing the speaker, with original HU, then changing the HU after 2 weeks. Actually the HU is the giving the terrible sound quality. oh ya, the speaker althou 6x9, gives stupid bass.. even a 6.5" give a better bass, but i m using 3 way

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what the device is called that does the IR signals from the factory steering controls...I have heard someone call it CAN BUS? but I can't find any info on it? Anyone know a brand name?

I wanna upgrade the full sound system but like ALFI I don't wanna lose my steering control button.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

>>Zac

Yea it does, and its ok for now, but I dont like it. Its ugly, theres alot it does not do (eg- random folder only, not whole disk and terrible EQ) and sounds rubbish (but thats probably the speakers fault).

From my experience of changing the speaker, with original HU, then changing the HU after 2 weeks. Actually the HU is the giving the terrible sound quality. oh ya, the speaker althou 6x9, gives stupid bass.. even a 6.5" give a better bass, but i m using 3 way

We've had this chat before, haven't we? ;) My opinion (which I believe to be fairly sound) is completely the opposite - the best headunit will never make a crap set of speakers sound anything less than rubbish.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what the device is called that does the IR signals from the factory steering controls...I have heard someone call it CAN BUS? but I can't find any info on it? Anyone know a brand name?

I wanna upgrade the full sound system but like ALFI I don't wanna lose my steering control button.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

>>Zac

CAN = controller area network = computer system that controls a lot of things in your car - not a brand ;) Clarion do a couple of double DIN head units that can "learn" your steering wheel controls (provided it's wired up correctly), Kenwood and a few others offer wire-in harnesses that can be used to hook it all up.

Edited by the_random_hero

yeah man if you had deep pockets then go for it, but the system in the zre are already awesome as it is, just get a mono block, a decent subwoofer and youre done :)

which were my plans for my zre

A monoblock is a single channel powered amplifier. Usually used for powering subs since all power is concentrated on one channel..

William, a lot of the stuff you ask can be googled. Maybe try google them before asking the questions. you'd be surprised how much information is covered on the world wide web.

• 1 month later...

The PAC-AUDIO SWI-JACK works with the Kenwood DPX-MP3110 head unit, wired connection not infrared, the same as it did with my Kenwood DDX-8032BT.

It works fine but there is a small delay between pushing the steering wheel button and the volume or track changing, less than half a second.

You can get them from Car Audio Wharehouse for around $140. I didn't get it there as I did the install over Christmas and they were closed, but I still didn't pay $250.

Also, the DPX-M3110 is only $276. For $395 you can get the DPX-M5110U which has a USB port on the front. I think that would be a better option.

Better still is the Pioneer FH-P80BT for $599 wich also has bluetooth. That 1 needs a SWI-PS.

If you are going to change the head unit, you may as well make it worthwhile, especially if you are paying for the install. If you do the install yourself, you can always add features as you go.