Binge Drinking

Leroy

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I'm on the ABC news site and read that all the Police Commissioners are meeting to discuss a national strategy targeting binge drinking.

One idea reported was the abolition of 'happy hour' type promotions...

I am completely in favour of such moves. My heart goes out to the publicans though, as they lose some income - I couldn't give two hoots about the binge drinking public.

Please discuss.

Edited by Leroy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. I say leave happy hour alone.

Drink driving should = loss of licence for 5 yrs.

Repeat offenders should have a jail sentence.

Being drunk in public = arrested and large fine.

This should start some arguments!

Happy hours should be just that... 1 hour, early in the night to get patrons through the door.

rotating happy hours is the problem, where they put a certain, different, drink on sale every hour, for an hour.

People just rotate their drinks through the night depending on what is cheap. I know that's what I did in my undergrad days, used to cost me about $15 for a night out on the town. Now I'm lucky to get 3 beers for that.

I think people need to take more responsibility for their own actions and know what their limits are.

That's true Dyl.

It's also interesting to see the results of some people who mix alcohol. I know that I drank whiskey, beer, white rum and bundy rum on NYE 2001, and I was completely munted. I remembered nothing at all other than being paraletic on the back lawn with fireworks going off over my head.

I was kicking myself in the morning, because I missed an opportunity due to my drunkeness.

being drunk in public ?

LOL well how other way are we gunna get home - we have to obviously catch a taxi LOL or public transport

but only at nights, i reckon its okay to be drunk in public lols and its not like you'll be by urself. if u have good friends that are not drunk they should be accompanying you to the destination.

but then again im the type to get smashed every weekend, so this is my opinion.

Being Aussie, is being jovially drunk... not hammered.

Binge drinking is wrong and does serious damage to your health, both physical and mental.

Nothing wring with being 'nicely drunk' or 'a bit tipsy' but you need to know your personal limits.

Even though your mate can knock back 7 coldies in an hour and still be coherent, doesn't mean everyone can... or even has to.

Worse still is the violence and pointless deaths that occur as a result of binge drinking. I liked the V festivals motto Go Hard, Go Home - if your too hammered don't keep drinking, simple. You don't need to be paraletic to have a good time, and if you think you do then you have some serious issues

lmfao

go hard or go home

That's the sort of attitude that can get you in a spot of bother. But you are young so you still have time to learn that. Being the most frequently drunk person is not so cool when your mates have all finished uni and have real jobs while you're still hitting the same nightclubs as you did when you were 18.

The beer's all been bought with my brother's ID,

My folks are away, and they've left only me,

The whole suburb knows - no need to call up,

My place tonight - teenage **** up!

Most of the girls will chuck before eight,

Two Bundy and Cokes is all it will take,

There's sex in the backyard, someone will claim,

Though who's screwing who?

Some bloke will get angry, his girlfriend's been nicked,

And take a swing at the guy, who looked at his chick,

The girl will start screaming, "You you two break it up!"

It's on at my place - teenage **** up!

The party will break up when I call the cops,

Or my parents come home and everyone stops,

There'll be CD's destroyed - mainly my dad's,

There'll be binge drinking, just like on the ad's.

Years later we'll look back and think of the time,

When we thought having fun meant getting all blind,

And when we're away our teenage children play up,

My place tonight for a teenage **** up.

Drink beer quickly to be a real hero,

It don't taste nice - that's why they make Sub Zero.

It don't have to go to a psychologist -

My reason for drinkin' is I wanna get pi55ed!

Edited by KptzS Heinz Fredrikkson

I dont drink

I did have one the other night but that was only half a glass of wine to celebrate full licence :D

Its so lame when you go out into the city and you see girls really drunk throwing up everywhere.. its gross

I dont drink

I did have one the other night but that was only half a glass of wine to celebrate full licence :D

Its so lame when you go out into the city and you see girls really drunk throwing up everywhere.. its gross

I drink only at my house or friends place as i know how it feels to see a night spoiled by other poeples drinking ventures it sucks and it makes me angry coz their losing all self respect or they ditch friends when they are meant to be home at a certain time or they carry on like losers by making stuff up about you !!!!! Its ok to drink but know your limit !!!!!

I understand the problem and recognise the need for a solution, but I stand on the other side of the line. I love a big drink I don't think I take it to extremes (i.e. getting completely retarded and losing consciousness/control of bodily functions) so I don't see why I should be punished. If you're going to crack down on being drunk in public, should follow it up with people who smoke in public.

I also question their targeting. The media (oh dear, here we go again) painted a picture of getting young drunks off the streets. Why kill happy hour when the young'uns are busy pre-loading at home for a cheaper night in town? The focus should be on the bartenders to make a more comprehensive judgement call when taking orders. I've seen some people buy a drink/round when the bar is clearly the only thing keeping them upright.

I understand the problem and recognise the need for a solution, but I stand on the other side of the line. I love a big drink I don't think I take it to extremes (i.e. getting completely retarded and losing consciousness/control of bodily functions) so I don't see why I should be punished. If you're going to crack down on being drunk in public, should follow it up with people who smoke in public.

I also question their targeting. The media (oh dear, here we go again) painted a picture of getting young drunks off the streets. Why kill happy hour when the young'uns are busy pre-loading at home for a cheaper night in town? The focus should be on the bartenders to make a more comprehensive judgement call when taking orders. I've seen some people buy a drink/round when the bar is clearly the only thing keeping them upright.

look i think another reason is young people are very peer pressured and the clubs and drinking is the only thing which is open for such late hours if there was cinemas and bowling or other entertainment maybe we would have less of a problem

see you know your limit but some poeple dont and thats where things go wrong!

(i.e. getting completely retarded and losing consciousness/control of bodily functions) so I don't see why I should be punished. If you're going to crack down on being drunk in public, should follow it up with people who smoke in public.

lols never actually dranken so much that i completely KO, i like most other people know my limit's LOL and well

yes i am only a teenager LOL which means me and my mates dont usually have much drinks (MONEY?) - unless its someones bday

we usually just sit down with 4deck's of winnies blue and 2 cases of vb.

As for smoking in public; LOL hey man we need our cancer stick.

they should "crack down" on spitting LOL its disgusting, go cabramatta and look for yourself

what's happy hour got to do with public drunkeness. I assume the problem is not binge drinking but public violence/mischief as a result of drunken youngin's. All the policy change and activity of late just paints the picture that the people in charge policy are all old and bitter men that dilude themselves about the 'good old days'. I'd hate to break it too you but 99% of politicians when they where our age where getting blind drunk while smoking tobaco/pot, pullin lines....etc

you won't stop binge drinking by abolishing happy hour, especially when bars and clubs make their biggest turn-over because of it. There will just be new types of promotions to encourage patrons to drink up. Meanwhile, guys like you and me who enjoy a few colds ones after work on friday will either pay more, or just won't bother. And like Tat's said, it will just encourage people to load up before they hit the town. Seeing as a bottle of Vodka only costs $40, the problem is going to be much worse.

I agree, qkslvr, that happy hour is not the supreme root of evil.

It is, however, an excuse for people to head down to the local meatmarket and down as many as they can while the going is cheap. It is on the same level as nightclubs with their $2 shot promotions.

Most of you drink... and I'm sure if you head down to your local town centre/cbd you can confirm the presence of masses of people standing out on the street doing combinations of the following:

-Starting fights

-Being disturbingly loud and rowdy

-Vomiting

-Harassing women

Unfortunately, Australia (like half of the developed world) seems to worship alcohol - it is deemed a good night out if you got smashed and can't remember vomiting in your friend's car. An even better night is picking up some drunk slapper, that normally wouldn't have sex with you, and having your way back at her place.

As Tayles pointed out, this is the prevalent culture here - and I, like him, would wish not to be associated as Australian for that reason.

Quite frankly it is a culture that we can do without - especially as smoking, gambling, and violence are all hugely correlated with this culture.

It is pretty sad (and I'm not singling you out here mrs.sportivo, peace) that young peoples' idea of a good time is to sit down with 4 packs of cigarettes slammed down with 2 cartons of cheap grog.

So I'm for anything that changes this culture - If happy hour is the first casualty, so be it. How about raising alcohol taxes even further to make it a luxury, not a staple?? :angry:

(As for Tats - I also agree that some venues need to better their serving standards. But to point finger at the publicans is akin to diminishing the responsibility of the people that decided to down that many in the first place -

"Oh Im sorry I punched the guy that bumped into me/ crashed my car into that family of four/ puked all over that police officer... but it wasn't my fault! The barman shouldnt have served me!")

(As for Tats - I also agree that some venues need to better their serving standards. But to point finger at the publicans is akin to diminishing the responsibility of the people that decided to down that many in the first place -

"Oh Im sorry I punched the guy that bumped into me/ crashed my car into that family of four/ puked all over that police officer... but it wasn't my fault! The barman shouldnt have served me!")

Touche.

but i still like my happy hour. *puts on battle gear* THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES, BUT THEY'RE NEVER TAKE OUR CHEAP TUESDAYS! :ph34r:

Totally agreed, and it's a shame a small number of establishments are unfairly treated in situations that are mostly/totally out of their control. But this is the core reason that legislation exists - because people can't be trusted to behave appropriately. That's why we have the law, and not an honour system. It is the responsibility of the publican to ensure alcohol is being served responsibly.

That's the sort of attitude that can get you in a spot of bother. But you are young so you still have time to learn that. Being the most frequently drunk person is not so cool when your mates have all finished uni and have real jobs while you're still hitting the same nightclubs as you did when you were 18.

Agree with you there . I see some old friends i went to school with , still doing what we used to do back in 1988 .

As for me , my new year resolution was no more ***** . Been good so far only drink being when i have a cold i use scotch as cough medication :)

alcoholism controls the population. kulling is illegal and you certainly can't adopt a 1child policy - contraceptions would become popular - the Catholics would be outraged. hahah *** i'm such a troll! how many do you think i've offended in one post? hehe I get my inspiration from "Jesus is magic".

I dont drink

I don't really drink either. I found it to be overrated. I've been a skirt / health freak for the last 2 years now *limp wrist* :lol:

alcoholism controls the population...

That's what I'm getting at, dude.

Alcoholism does not control the population. Ok, it controls them to the point of knowing where to find them on a weekend, or knowing what presents to buy most people... but that is where it stops.

As fun/tasty/nutritious as it may or may not be, alcohol can be blamed for a large host of social problems. Juvenile delinquency, poor standards in the household, neglect/abuse of children, obesity, loss of income.... I need not go on.

I know you're trolling :P, but seriously - you cant say it controls the population when I've just a listed but a handful of areas where control has been lost...

(EDIT: PS - Who voted that the laws are too extreme??? I'd like to know why you think so.. :mellow: .)

Edited by Leroy