choosing air filter

Hello,

I'm looking at changing my drop in air filter for 03 levin auto. THe TRD and TOMS look different. TRD is the red blinds looking one, where as the TOMS looks like red foam covered in white meshy thing..

which is better?

any other suggetsions of a good air filter?

thx

I had a K&N panel filter in the Stivo before the CAI and noticed a difference. Light throttle response and especially light throttle acceleration in a taller gear is noticable as well.

i remember another topic on this so if are yet to search for it you can find more info over there. i use toms but i think most of the people here have only used k&n or trd. i believe toms is the best but it is a preference thing for me as i stay away from trd when i can. the difference really came in when the snorkel and resonator box was discarded.

Thx Kcorro.

I had a read of the past threads. But didnt say much.

NEW QUESTION: for a panel air filter, which is best : oil-based air filter (e.g KN) or foam air filter (e.g TOMs)?

which is better? considering that oil based u have to clean? (when and how to clean?) how about foam based? (when and how to clean it?)

Edited by Silver Levin

Thx Kcorro.

I had a read of the past threads. But didnt say much.

NEW QUESTION: for a panel air filter, which is best : oil-based air filter (e.g KN) or foam air filter (e.g TOMs)?

which is better? considering that oil based u have to clean? (when and how to clean?) how about foam based? (when and how to clean it?)

I use the K&N panel air filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#PAPER

Edited by sport1vo

i have the trd oiled filter, and it make a little difference nothing major, the best bit is the change in induction noise :D

i usually clean mine everytime i get it serviced.... i put the standard 1 back in for that cos i let the oil soak in before putting it back in the box. u can get a kit from trd that has a spray soap stuff 2 clean the filter and oil 2 put on it...... u should be able 2 get the same sorta thing from k&n... (prob cheaper :P ).... imo i wouldnt get the foam 1 cos once its full of crap u gotta chuck it out but with the oiled 1 it should last years if u look after it

Briony

Edited by rollagrl

I use BMC(part 307/04), a little more responsive than the K&N, but harder to find, I had to wait 3 weeks. $150.00 from Carshine North Melbourne. Also available at Autobarn but they'll try to charge you $165.00.

I used a K&N panel filter b4 the TRD CAI and noticed a difference. But up top the CAI definitely wins hands down and it has the great induction sound. Especially at 6200rpm and above 7500rpm the car pulls effortlessly, in the past it runs out of breath earlier. Fuel economy seems to be better with the K&N panel filter and stock airbox.