2000 Avalon keyless remote programming

fsjk85

Hey guys, first time posting here. :)

Long story short, i need to reprogram the door remotes for my Avalon. Does anyone have a diy guide?

thanks

Dig up this forum...

Last week or 2, there was a thread on how to program remote keys to Aurion..

i alerady tried the aurion instructions, but to no surprise, they didnt work :(

Try Pm-ing the Thread-Starter...

Or else, look up @ the web he gave us..

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I had been looking for the same thing, all I found on the web are instructions for American models which do not work for Australian models. Finally I got the method that does from a Toyota dealer and it worked on My Vienta (1999) and Avalon (2000 & 2001). So here it is

1. -Put the key in the ignition
  2. -Turn Key to ACC
  3. -switch from ACC to ON (without cranking the engine) and back three times. This should be done relatively quickly (within a few seconds)
  4. - The security light on the dashboard will illuminate on the third time into the ON position and will stay on (this is the little red LED usually flashing when you remove the key from the ignition). This indicates the programming mode is started.
  5. -Once the light is ON press the button on each of the remotes you have (including the ones already programmed). Each time you press one of the remotes the indicators should flash.
  6. -Once the security light turns off the programming mode is terminated.

NOTE: this operation clears the cars memory from all pre-coded remotes, hence the need to press the button on the old remotes too.

I hope this helps

SpaceBeast

Hi All,

I had been looking for the same thing, all I found on the web are instructions for American models which do not work for Australian models. Finally I got the method that does from a Toyota dealer and it worked on My Vienta (1999) and Avalon (2000 & 2001). So here it is

1. -Put the key in the ignition
  2. -Turn Key to ACC
  3. -switch from ACC to ON (without cranking the engine) and back three times. This should be done relatively quickly (within a few seconds)
  4. - The security light on the dashboard will illuminate on the third time into the ON position and will stay on (this is the little red LED usually flashing when you remove the key from the ignition). This indicates the programming mode is started.
  5. -Once the light is ON press the button on each of the remotes you have (including the ones already programmed). Each time you press one of the remotes the indicators should flash.
  6. -Once the security light turns off the programming mode is terminated.

NOTE: this operation clears the cars memory from all pre-coded remotes, hence the need to press the button on the old remotes too.

I hope this helps

SpaceBeast

This is pretty much spot on, should take no more than 5 seconds, if your too slow it won't work. Also make sure all doors are shut or program mode can’t be entered, If for some reason after you've cycled the lock back and forward 3 times and have pressed the button and it doesn’t work, then wait 10 seconds and open the door close it again and hit the button again, for some reason sometimes it takes a little longer than it should for it to work. 120 series Prado’s and non smart start Aurion’s sometimes just don’t want to play the game!

How do you open the remote (pictured in OP) to replace the battery?

lol this is a easy one, your not supposed too :)They make these ones pretty cheap so that you just replace the whole unit every 4ish years instead of just the battery. The case can be opened up but you'll see the battery is held firmly in place with a solder. :)

lol this is a easy one, your not supposed too :)They make these ones pretty cheap so that you just replace the whole unit every 4ish years instead of just the battery. The case can be opened up but you'll see the battery is held firmly in place with a solder. :)

How much are they? I see one on Ebay for $69.95

How much are they? I see one on Ebay for $69.95

There is to remotes around for the avalon and 36 series camry there is the one like what's in that image 89780-YF011 RRP$61.60 and one which also has the boot release in it 89780-YF021 $63.25 RRP

• 2 weeks later...

There is to remotes around for the avalon and 36 series camry there is the one like what's in that image 89780-YF011 RRP$61.60 and one which also has the boot release in it 89780-YF021 $63.25 RRP

Thanks for that, just purchased one today at Toyota.

FYI: Mister Minit sells them for $79.95.

• 1 year later...

I was appalled to be quoted $85 each to replace my two remote key "fobs". My solution was to carefully saw the fob open with a junior hacksaw, following the seam where the two halves had been heat-fused. The battery fitted to the unit is soldered in place and is manufactured with two tabs for the +ve and -ve connections. I bought the batteries (code CR2032-1HFE) from Batteries Direct www.batteriesdirect.com.au for $2.78 each. Unsoldering the old batteries and soldering in the new ones was pretty easy. If you attempt this, just make sure that you use a soldering iron meant for electronics work and not repairing plumbing. The halves were re-assembled and bonded with a good quality silicone adhesive. Both work perfectly.

An additional benefit for me was that I replaced the rubber push buttons with silicone buttons from Polmex - www.Polmex.com.au at $15 each. Again, these fitted easily and are working fine.

If you can afford Toyota OEM prices, great. Otherwise if, like me, you refuse to be "fobbed off", maybe give the diy approach a shot.

• 6 months later...

Hi from a newbie...can anyone tell me what's involved and how long it would take to find out that an 02 Avalon's computer was faulty so that a new remote key couldn't be programmed without nearly $700 worth of repairs?

It cost me $175 for nothing to get my car back, even though I was (theoretically) only charged 1.5 hours labour when the mechanic had (theoretically) spent "4 or 5 hours" running diagnostics and pulling apart the dashboard and putting it all back together again to determine the abovementioned "problem".

Prior to this, the Mr Minute guys charged me squat for half an hours time and several phone calls and suggested that my usual mechanic would probably be able to plug his gizmo in and tell me what the the problem was in a few minutes, then apologised for their inability to provide the remote key.

Alas, I took it to a Toyota dealer, not my usual mechanic!

Went to the dealers website to find out who to email my concerns (compaints) to via their "contact us" button and all it leads you to is a sales inquiry & what model would you like to buy!!!

Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Tks for the response mr2 but no, I only have the physical key which came with the recent purchase...I'm suss about the dealer who sold me the car and the Toyota dealer who cost me $175 for squat...and I had to chase them up twice to try and find out what was going on!

The Avalon is a very nice ride but not my "midlife crisis" SAAB 93 Convertible which was shortened from behind by nearly a metre by a Nissan Navara with bullbar recently!

Any info & advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alopal.