TRD Suspension Made By KYB!

Hey guys...

In my descision making process for buyin springs and shocks i came across a TRD spring/strut package which i could get at a very decent price through a mate who deals TRD in HK.

I just asked my local Suspension Guru about the TRD suspension.. and his comment was... "why pay the extra for a KYB Strut?" I was stunned to say the least and after a bit of research... he's right... The Sportivo TRD Shockabsorber is Built by KYB.

Infact a lot of "Sports" Suspension options built by OEM's are made by KYB, Mitsubishi VRX for one.

Thought you'd all like to know this if you plan on running a Spring/Strut combo at all.

regards

Andy

yep, a lot of stock toyota struts are made by KYB too, along with Cusco coilovers etc...

The valving etc is different though and made to each brands specific requirments.

many many parts from your car are outsourced to manufacturers. Springs, shocks, exhaust, headlights, seats, dash,....etc it's all made by someone else and supplied to the car manufacturer. China, Malaysia, Vietnam..etc where do you think seat upholstry comes from? that sh*t ain't sewing itself :lol:

many many parts from your car are outsourced to manufacturers. Springs, shocks, exhaust, headlights, seats, dash,....etc it's all made by someone else and supplied to the car manufacturer. China, Malaysia, Vietnam..etc where do you think seat upholstry comes from? that sh*t ain't sewing itself :lol:

I know all this...

But as other people have said.. just because they are suppluied by one company doesnt mean that Toyota/TRD arent fiddling with it to make it more suited to the vehicle.. right?

The thing is.. i am about to buy suspension... and my KYB/KINGS dealer has given me a really good price on a setup King Low fronts, King super low rears, and KYB excel Gas shocks... for $800 .... now yesterday i found the TRD suspension and had a quote from a reliable source for $780 for the setup. After researching the TRD suspension i find that its made by KYB... what i was hoping to find out is if TRD modify or change the suspension after its been shipped to them. so far people are saying the valve rates and the like are tuned to a specific application.

I then contacted my KYB dealer who told me that the Strut they build for the ZZE123 is a one off, only application for, does not suit any other vehicle. which leads me to believe... they are the SAME component, without being modified.

If it were your money where would you spend it?

Andy

I then contacted my KYB dealer who told me that the Strut they build for the ZZE123 is a one off, only application for, does not suit any other vehicle. which leads me to believe... they are the SAME component, without being modified.

Careful though, that can be taken two ways. I interpret that is meaning that the OEM TRD struts are manufactured specificly for the ZZE123 and different to the KYB retail units. I could have misinterpreted what you have said though.

Careful though, that can be taken two ways. I interpret that is meaning that the OEM TRD struts are manufactured specificly for the ZZE123 and different to the KYB retail units. I could have misinterpreted what you have said though.

Ok Let me try and re word this...

KYB shocks for the ZZE123 are a single use only for the Sportivo. Which are different obviously, from the Standard Toyota OEM product.

TRD has commissioned KYB to build the Suspension Kit for their use....

After speaking with the supplier i trust from KYB.. he mentioned that the TRD Spec shock absorber and his KYB spec are Identical... which leads me to believe that... the TRD item is just a Rebadged KYB strut.

Ok Let me try and re word this...

KYB shocks for the ZZE123 are a single use only for the Sportivo. Which are different obviously, from the Standard Toyota OEM product.

TRD has commissioned KYB to build the Suspension Kit for their use....

After speaking with the supplier i trust from KYB.. he mentioned that the TRD Spec shock absorber and his KYB spec are Identical... which leads me to believe that... the TRD item is just a Rebadged KYB strut.

Ah, entienda. Gracias Señor =)

So would you go for the Local KYB excel G's with the Split spring rates of Low 30mm fronts and Superlow 50mm rears? or would you get the TRD suspension Kit with a level 30mm drop, and fork out a bucket for the postage?

If there's no difference except a pretty TRD badge on the strut, go with the KYB and get swaybars with the savings. hehe

whats the going rate for a sway bar these days?

Front or rear? Rear is around $200 and the front is around $240 from Whiteline, they had a price rise recently. But don't quote those figures.

Rememebr if you don't know how to do the front the labour is expensive. I think I posted a guide on how to do it on here, if not you know who has done one.

As for the zze123 being single use that is a lie. The struts for the zze123, zze122 and nze121 are all the same, other than that they don't fit anything else. Unless thats what your supplier was getting at.

SD the Sportivo strut externally is the same as the other models you mentioned but the cartridge internally is a different diameter. 51mm against the 46mm for ZZE122 and NZE 121.

KYB make most of the suspesnion components for the Jap built cars and have done so for years. The thing about TRD strut / spring combo that I don't really like is the spring rates are a little on the soft side for Australian road conditions.

If you are going to buy here in Australia i would go with the springs package as you have mentioned(lows front and super lows rear) but get your mate to give you a price on koni's as well. They do the adjustable and also so I'm led to believe a model down from that that is like a good quality replacement for OEM. KYB stuff is good and I have supplied a bit of it to some people from here over the last few years with drama's at all.

SD the Sportivo strut externally is the same as the other models you mentioned but the cartridge internally is a different diameter. 51mm against the 46mm for ZZE122 and NZE 121.

KYB make most of the suspesnion components for the Jap built cars and have done so for years. The thing about TRD strut / spring combo that I don't really like is the spring rates are a little on the soft side for Australian road conditions.

If you are going to buy here in Australia i would go with the springs package as you have mentioned(lows front and super lows rear) but get your mate to give you a price on koni's as well. They do the adjustable and also so I'm led to believe a model down from that that is like a good quality replacement for OEM. KYB stuff is good and I have supplied a bit of it to some people from here over the last few years with drama's at all.

yeah i looked into the Koni Option... but i just cant afford it. The adjustable kit would be nice.. but realistically.. i doubt i would be making adjustments all the time.

So the price i had on the KYb stuff very good.. so pressed the green button, and it arrives mid next week...

KYB stuff is good and I have supplied a bit of it to some people from here over the last few years with drama's at all.

hey SB i have been looking to do the final mod on my car (springs & strut) for the past few weeks.

all of my driving is on the road, when i do this mod i may take it to the track on the very rare occasion (maybe twice a year). i drive mainly inner city so i decieded against coilovers becasue i wont need hight adjust and want a harder than stock but not hard as nails ride for the road. I think i remember reading somewhere that you can supply YELLOW KONI adjustable shocks for $1030 which are the full strut?..... i would then look to match that up with some lowered springs. i only want to lower it 30mm as insurance will not insure me anything lower, and im happy with that minor drop front and rear.

my questions are........... can you get those shocks, and for a 30mm drop would you go with a whiteline control spring or a pedders spring?

and if you can get these shocks are they a full strut replacement with no cuting or modding, and so can i just buy the struts, the springs of choice put them together and fit them myself ? (at my mates place who has a hoist)

KYB stuff is good and I have supplied a bit of it to some people from here over the last few years with drama's at all.

hey SB i have been looking to do the final mod on my car (springs & strut) for the past few weeks.

all of my driving is on the road, when i do this mod i may take it to the track on the very rare occasion (maybe twice a year). i drive mainly inner city so i decieded against coilovers becasue i wont need hight adjust and want a harder than stock but not hard as nails ride for the road. I think i remember reading somewhere that you can supply YELLOW KONI adjustable shocks for $1030 which are the full strut?..... i would then look to match that up with some lowered springs. i only want to lower it 30mm as insurance will not insure me anything lower, and im happy with that minor drop front and rear.

my questions are........... can you get those shocks, and for a 30mm drop would you go with a whiteline control spring or a pedders spring?

and if you can get these shocks are they a full strut replacement with no cuting or modding, and so can i just buy the struts, the springs of choice put them together and fit them myself ? (at my mates place who has a hoist)

Ok the rears are a complete replacement but the front are an insert. Best way to do it is buy someone's stuffed stock front struts and put the insert into them. If you only want to go 30mm then go whiteline. Kings are 35mm and pedders are about the same. Not that an insurance company is going to pick 5mm anyway. Whiteline's are dearer than Kings so that's up to you.

As for price for the Koni's they had a price rise 1st july so they may have gone up a wee bit. Maybe $20 tops. If you are serious PM me and I will find out. I can also get Whiteline springs at a way better price than retail too. JC from here has koni's and whiteline's on his Sportivo and he does the majority of his driving around town. Might do a run though the mountains occasionaly but that's about it. He loves the comfort of the ride and height isn't a problem. Send him a PM if you more info etc etc.

Hey guys...

In my descision making process for buyin springs and shocks i came across a TRD spring/strut package which i could get at a very decent price through a mate who deals TRD in HK.

I just asked my local Suspension Guru about the TRD suspension.. and his comment was... "why pay the extra for a KYB Strut?" I was stunned to say the least and after a bit of research... he's right... The Sportivo TRD Shockabsorber is Built by KYB.

Infact a lot of "Sports" Suspension options built by OEM's are made by KYB, Mitsubishi VRX for one.

Thought you'd all like to know this if you plan on running a Spring/Strut combo at all.

regards

Andy

TRD dont make anything themselves - they hace access to Toyota's oem suppliers like KYB,Ferodo ect and make the same but to TRD spec not Toyota spec. same as TTE dont make anything themselves - eibach springs, remus b/box, eaton superchargers.........

wont stop me buying a TRD set-up in the future.