New Track for Brisbane (left out the R SD!!)

SuperDave

I hope the banana benders are really getting behind this one.... considering that the NSW gov't is allowing one of our 3 tracks to close and get developed into housing (Oran Park). Why give people a safe and inexpensive/accessible place to learn car skills when they can just park radars at the bottom of hills and relieve us of demerit points? :rolleyes:

Dave I put the "R" in track in the title as a new tack for Brisbane could mean anything LOL.

If this happens i will be very surprised as only a few K's from where they are planning this they had Darlington Park curcuit. Developers kept pushing housing estates closer and closer till some hob knobs of residents didn't want a race track near them and complained about noise(which wasn't really investigated). Helps when one of the residnets was a member of parliament and got it closed. It's now getting turned into a housing development surprise surprise.

If it doesn happen it would be good as QR is just a damm boring track. they can't really do anything with Lakeside now as housing is all around it so you certainly can't make any noise. Maybe they can recreate the Lakeside layout at the possible new site at Gilberton??

Word is they want to make a 6.5km long track to the new FIA standards. I hope it is that long or longer, as I really hate short tracks. Both to watch and race on.

Yeah, good ol' Darlington Park never got to have a go at it :(. The story I heard is similar to that, but another story is that the owner died and left it to his son who then saw dollar signs in his eyes and sold it off. Maybe we could try and book a day at the Mt Cotton test track, they have more than just a lame skid pan ;)

As for Oran Park closing down, it is a great loss to lose another track. At least Wakefield Park got a new lease on life. and why is everything a 'Park' now? Lakeside Raceway has been changed to Park too...

Things are looking very good for the I-met facility. We have been involved with quite a bit on the planning side of things and there are quite a few options for its placement. The Gold Coast City Council is being lame and not giving any preferential treatment to the developer but I'd imagine if the EIS gets through there should be no issues with getting the proposal up and running. I had a meeting with the developer the other day and he confirmed that it was going to be track above 6km's in length. He also mentioned that they had had preliminary talks with F1 Administration about hosting a F1 round at the facility in the future. Apparently they where not closed to the idea. Watch this space!

Re: Darlington Park - I am currently working on the 104 lot Industrial Subdivision over the site. I have been around the track in the work hilux a few times. Its a wicked track and i can only imagine how challenging it would have been at some decent speed. It should have been kept. Now even MSI Karts has been closed. :(

Edited by T_Money

Re: Darlington Park - I am currently working on the 104 lot Industrial Subdivision over the site. I have been around the track in the work hilux a few times. Its a wicked track and i can only imagine how challenging it would have been at some decent speed. It should have been kept. Now even MSI Karts has been closed. :(

Give me a call next time you have a site visit, I come with my own blue card too :D But you'll need to give me the site induction still :P

T_Money the man with the finger on the pulse!! Please do keep us informed. Maybe this will become a reality!!!

SD as for Darlington Park it was a great track and I cut quite a few laps around it as a pssenger with northy in His 1ZZ and Shao in Northy's old sportivo. Great fun and shao literally drives like there is no mercy shown on the car!!!

The only worrying thing about Darlington Park was hitting the odd duck that was too slow getting out of the way and the infamous dam which MAP81 washed his car in. I'll let him tell the story.....

All this talk of Oran Park closing, but isn't the guy who owns it going to build a new track a bit further out of town, so apart from a few year gap in the middle, things will continue as normal?

Plus there's still the on-going issue of the proposed Ringwood track at Raymond Terrace.