Remote Boot Release On 2 Button Fob

StivoAU

Hi all,

I'm the happy new owner of a 2004 Camry :D

I received 2x 1 button door release remote controls with my car. I have asked Toyota how much it would be to buy a 2button remote so that I can open the boot as well, and was told that the car probably didn't have the option and it would cost "a fair bit" to add the actuators, etc, etc. (Could not give me a proper price as the sales people had left for the day).

Disappointed, I went home. I'm now thinking.... my car has the remote boot release leaver on the floor near the driver seat. Shouldn't that mean that the car could also do it from a fob? The way I see it, nothing new would need to be added to the car. Am I right or wrong??

Can someone please explain this to me?

TIA

PS: I'm new to this forum and seem to have posted this in the wrong area (Global instead of AU forums)

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=83633&st=0

Sorry bout that!

Pretty much all Camry's have a boot release button on the floor there but that doesn't exactly help your situation as it's just a long cable release mechanism.

It's kinda like comparing remote door locks to old school key types, actuators are needed to release the mechanism electronicly by remote.

It could be done but it would be quite the job to install all the bits an pieces like wiring,actuators sensors etc and to then have your ECU recognise it and not set of the alarm.

Pretty much all Camry's have a boot release button on the floor there but that doesn't exactly help your situation as it's just a long cable release mechanism.

It's kinda like comparing remote door locks to old school key types, actuators are needed to release the mechanism electronicly by remote.

It could be done but it would be quite the job to install all the bits an pieces like wiring,actuators sensors etc and to then have your ECU recognise it and not set of the alarm.

I see... Redbook (http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?id=101521) seems to think that the Sportivo came standard with "Remote Boot/Hatch Release".

It's a bit stingy of Toyota to fit the remote control doors and not add an extra actuator for the boot.....I always assumed if you had remote control on doors, then you could do it on the boot too (mainly because my previous cars have been Ford's and that is how it works with them).

Thanks for the reply!

Well no, actually the Gen 5 boot release is electronic even by the lever on the floor.

But your right, you would still need to add certain other things to make a remote work. Plus no doubt it would cost an arm and a leg.

I see... Redbook (http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?id=101521) seems to think that the Sportivo came standard with "Remote Boot/Hatch Release".

Remote boot/hatch release simply means you have a little lever to release them from inside the car. It doesn't actually mean remote as in a remote control. For example, you car would also be listed as having a remote fuel lid release, but no button on the remote for it, is there?

For how much you are going to pay to have everything fitted versus how much you are actually going to use it, it seems a bit of a waste of money in my opinion. My car came standard with the boot release button on the remote, and I don't think it's worth as much as it would cost.

is urs the gen5 camry? becoz im pretty sure that one has a boot realease on the remote...coz one of my mate's family has a gen5 and its got tht!

Not all gen5s have a Fob remote to release the boot, only the higher trim level ones do.

Also I must correct what I said before; the Gen 5 does only have a cable from the leaver on the floor. The reason I thought it was electronic is, there are two wires running into the lock on the boot its self, but they must be for security.

Edited by mbruce

• 2 weeks later...