RWD 3SGTE..............How??

JayKay_St_oneightwo

Hi there, I want my 3sgte to be RWD, but I need to know facts on what gearbox to get??? For a start do you have to still keep the engine on a tilt?? The gearbox I wouldnt have a clue besides made a custom w55/56 bellhousing?? Is this ture?? Is there anything that bolts str8 on?

If there is anyone that can point me in the rite direction that would be tops.

P.S. I want a RWD 3sgte no matter what it takes! :angry:

Is this for a GT4 or a full transplant into a RWD vehicle? If it's just converting the GT4 from AWD to RWD, then a W-series gearbox is an impossibility. It's a longitudinal (ie north-south) gearbox, whilst the engine is transverse (ie east-west) and needs a FWD-style gearbox. Playing around with the AWD gearbox is a possibility, I'm sure someone somewhere along the line has done it, but why do you want to lose AWD?

And if it's going into a completely different RWD chassis, then you've got a long long hard road ahead of you, with plenty of money spent too. RWD-converting a 3SGTE is one of the biggest pains in the neck you can do with a Toyota.

I wouldn't bother speaking to that guy...

Anthony Kellam from Kaizen Garage is the guy to speak to, he built the setup in that thread along with other AE86's with 3sgte's etc.

The last 3sgte AE86 I had a look at in his workshop had a modified cam cover and was run by an adaptronic ECU with W58 gearbox etc.

He frequents http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board username Anthony

Sori I have been very vague, i am also looking into putting the engine into a "ae86". Dont know how to work these computer things.

suggest you speak to this guy

Link on Twincam.org

Not really worth it considering thats a BEAMS 3SGE, which is naturally north-south RWD in the RS200 Altezza. No 3SGTE was ever found in n/s RWD format, they were all east-west.

mr2??

SW20 MR2 (as with all MR2s) is essentially FWD just with the engine at the other end of the car. Uses FWD gearbox, transverse engine etc. So using an MR2 as an example of a RWD 3S is essentially useless unless you're only talking about MR2s.

Sori I have been very vague, i am also looking into putting the engine into a "ae86". Dont know how to work these computer things.

suggest you speak to this guy

Link on Twincam.org

Not really worth it considering thats a BEAMS 3SGE, which is naturally north-south RWD in the RS200 Altezza. No 3SGTE was ever found in n/s RWD format, they were all east-west.

mr2??

SW20 MR2 (as with all MR2s) is essentially FWD just with the engine at the other end of the car. Uses FWD gearbox, transverse engine etc. So using an MR2 as an example of a RWD 3S is essentially useless unless you're only talking about MR2s.

sorry mate i already know that not completely stupid.. it is still rear drive though!

sorry mate i already know that not completely stupid.. it is still rear drive though!

The fact that it's RWD is irrevelant though. It'd be like trying to use a ZZW31 as a basis for making a 1ZZ RWD in an AE86. Useles (well, no more use than your bog standard ZZE122 Corolla)