What motor oil do you use?

I just picked up my 07 Corolla ascent last week and got it serviced with Mobil 1 0w-40. I also flushed the prior oil with the Nulon Oil flush.

I want the fulyl synthetic protection. I heard that many claim they are synthetic (Shell Helix) but they are actually not because they simply use a small amount of synthetic oil in their oils. Mobil 1, Redline and Motul are seem to be much better choice, although the latter two are very expensive.

Ill stick with Mobil1 0w-40.

Penrite semi synthetic is my choice. A full synthetic is too thin for everyday use as on cold start ups most of it has drained back into the sump. Your mineral based oils are slightly thicker and don't drain back as quick. The semi synthetics are synthetic fortified with some mineral based oil blended to give you the best of both worlds.

Im using Castrol GTX 3 seems to be doing the job so far.

Toyota workshops are using the 15w40 magnatec equivelent even in the new cars on the second services ,GTX 3 I'm pretty sure isn't designed for the multivalved engines its more suitable for the conventional engines.

I would agree on the semi-syn Penrite range as the product is a happy medium between the expensive syn like Mobil & Redline which viscosity do thin out under load & I think personally better than the Castrol Magnatec

Toyota workshops are using the 15w40 magnatec equivelent even in the new cars on the second services ,GTX 3 I'm pretty sure isn't designed for the multivalved engines its more suitable for the conventional engines.

I would agree on the semi-syn Penrite range as the product is a happy medium between the expensive syn like Mobil & Redline which viscosity do thin out under load & I think personally better than the Castrol Magnatec

Isnt 15w-40 way too thick for a 1.8 4 cyl? Mobil 1 0w-40 lubricates on the spot and the hot weight factor is plenty.

Mobil 1 Gold, full synthetic 10w-30

I was once running the Castrol Edge 10w-30 (i think) and once it reaches 5000km the car feels quite rough. That doesn't seems to be the case with Mobil Gold, but I would still change it every 5000km if possible.

But 10,000km should be fine also if you don't push the car hard.

Isnt 15w-40 way too thick for a 1.8 4 cyl? Mobil 1 0w-40 lubricates on the spot and the hot weight factor is plenty.

Not at all,My lil rig has 100 plus k's on it so its perfect esp in WA where it may reach 40 plus high 30's

I beleive the zero w's type oils are for fresh engines but once its cured & done some k's a higher viscosity oil is recommended.

Not at all,My lil rig has 100 plus k's on it so its perfect esp in WA where it may reach 40 plus high 30's

I beleive the zero w's type oils are for fresh engines but once its cured & done some k's a higher viscosity oil is recommended.

Mine has done 26,000 but I think Ill stick with Mobil 1 0w-40 as I read great things about it.

Mine has done 26,000 but I think Ill stick with Mobil 1 0w-40 as I read great things about it.

Dont believe everything you read

Penrite 5 series 5w-60 FTW

If thats the case im gonna use full synethic the same stuff i use in the cappa.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Cappuccino

• 5 weeks later...

I just went into Autobahn, and this happened.

The guy asked me why i was buying Fuchs 10w-40 when the car manual calls for 5w -30 very clearly.

Can anyone help me with that? They have Penrite 5w-30, i can use that. bear in mind i'm off to a track day next weekend I just need to understand. I know zoom runs 40 (i've researched before asking this question), but that's a turbo car.

Then I asked about the Redline Mt90 for the gearbox. At $175 for 3L, there is no way i can afford that. Does someone have an alternative suggestion that is more reasonable.

Ditto the Motul brake fluid, again incredibly pricey.

I'm after bang for buck, hence the fuchs was my initial intention. And at $42 is pretty reasonable.

whitestivo